Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Talk Genre > Tropes in SFR - Which do you love/dislike?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.W. (last edited Mar 20, 2018 06:53AM) (new)

A.W. (awincross) | 2 comments Hi all!

I'm fascinated by tropes and was wondering which ones you love or dislike to see in your SFR?

For me, I love the "I (Love You) Robot trope, where humans have romantic relationships with AI. And I intensely dislike the "Strong Women Can't Cook" trope.

message 2: by BrownSugar (new)

BrownSugar | 5 comments I love "I'm volunteering to be an alien bride" and detest "I'm falling in love with my violent alien captor"

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Scott | 497 comments Mod
Thanks for posting this and then giving me a fun idea to cross post over on FB, lots of good discussion as a result of your question!

message 4: by A.W. (new)

A.W. (awincross) | 2 comments Veronica wrote: "Thanks for posting this and then giving me a fun idea to cross post over on FB, lots of good discussion as a result of your question!"

Yay! I LOVE discussing tropes, and I'm excited to see what everyone's written :-)

message 5: by J.C. (new)

J.C. (jc_hay) | 30 comments I’m a huge fan of “bodyguard” romances (thanks Mr. Costner), especially of the forbidden-to-want-you variety (have I mentioned how much I’m looking forward to the next Gideon’s Riders book?)
As for dislikes - I’ve found stuff that was excellent, even in tropes I thought I hated, but I’m not a fan of anything smacking of DubCon / NonCon.

message 6: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments Whether SFR or romantic suspense I like couple on the run especially if also searching for something. I hate when they ignore the danger and stop to have sex which to me defines TSTL. I've quit series over that. I excuse it if the characters comment on how stupid/careless it was to do.

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments L J wrote: " I hate when they ignore the danger and stop to have sex which to me defines TSTL. "

Me too! And it's like the bad guys take a break for a half-hour which is so stupid.

I also hate the women who won't stop complaining even though they know there is nothing that can be done to correct the situation. There's one author that I just gave up on for that.

I am liking battle scenes in space right now. They used to bore me but not anymore. :)

message 8: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "...I also hate the women who won't stop complaining even though they know there is nothing that can be done to correct the situation. There's one author that I just gave up on for that...."

I've quit over that, too. Often they are also doing incredibly stupid things. I could almost believe that some writers are aliens. Why would any earth woman write earth women so whiney and stupid? I find it annoying not cute or amusing.

message 9: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments I dislike how reverse harem plot lines seem to be riding a wave right now. It reminds me of the overwhelming and unfortunate "step-brother" craze in contemporary romance a couple of years ago.

message 10: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments Celestine wrote: "I dislike how reverse harem plot lines seem to be riding a wave right now. It reminds me of the overwhelming and unfortunate "step-brother" craze in contemporary romance a couple of years ago."

Harem, reverse or otherwise, is not something I look for and step-brother I actively avoid. Even some of the book descriptions are disturbingly stalkerish.

message 11: by E.G. (new)

E.G. Manetti (thornraven) | 157 comments Celestine wrote: "I dislike how reverse harem plot lines seem to be riding a wave right now. It reminds me of the overwhelming and unfortunate "step-brother" craze in contemporary romance a couple of years ago."

It's everywhere, and whether harem or reverse harem, I'll pass. It's popular - Emma Jay just re-promoted her Hybrid series as reverse harem, although it's menage. MFM. Edgy for a few years ago, but I guess not so much now. They're good, BTW -- if you're okay with a bit of kinky adult content.

message 12: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 286 comments I very much agree LJ and EG. I pretty much only read a menage or MORE if I didn't realize it was multiple partner or to fulfill a book challenge. Just not for me.

message 13: by E.G. (new)

E.G. Manetti (thornraven) | 157 comments Celestine wrote: "I very much agree LJ and EG. I pretty much only read a menage or MORE if I didn't realize it was multiple partner or to fulfill a book challenge. Just not for me."

Menage can be good if it's well done. Beyond that, it's either weird or silly.

message 14: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments Celestine wrote: "I very much agree LJ and EG. I pretty much only read a menage or MORE if I didn't realize it was multiple partner or to fulfill a book challenge. Just not for me."

Multiple partner as a trope is not one I seek as it seems the tendency is the more sex partners the less character, plot and world building. That being said some of my favorite mysteries are in the Scotty Bradley series by Greg Herren in which each man is complete fully developed character and plot and world building are excellent.

message 15: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments E.G. wrote: "...Emma Jay just re-promoted her Hybrid series as reverse harem, although it's menage. MFM. Edgy for a few years ago, but I guess not so much now. They're good, BTW..."

Thanks for the tip. Added Emma Jaye Hybrid #1 Discovery to my Kindle Unlimited tbr list.

message 16: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments Just thought of another trope I dislike and hadn't thought about though it can be a factor in harem and step-brother romances. Reluctant partner/virgin overcome by strong dominant. Frequently involves physical force and sometimes emotional blackmail. Of course the victim, and that's how I see the reluctant partner, convinces him/herself that (s)he enjoyed the abuse/humiliation. Even mild BDSM should only be written by those that know the difference between consensual fun games and non-consensual abuse.
Question: Does anyone wonder whether shifter romance has made being furry popular or is it the other way around? The few furries I read were funny. Do they qualify as someone pretending to be someone else trope? If so, maybe that is why I found them to be funny. The masquerade trope is one I usually like.

message 17: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments Celestine wrote: "I dislike how reverse harem plot lines seem to be riding a wave right now. It reminds me of the overwhelming and unfortunate "step-brother" craze in contemporary romance a couple of years ago."

Another series I've been reading has introduced reverse harem trope. At least these are fairly well done. Aliens, alien shifters, cyborgs, etc. now seem to want to be in a human female's harem.
Some are ridiculous. Saw one where aliens plan to repopulate their planet using human females with each female having a harem of something like 20 alien males.

message 18: by Kristi (new)

Kristi | 17 comments L J wrote: "Celestine wrote: "I dislike how reverse harem plot lines seem to be riding a wave right now. It reminds me of the overwhelming and unfortunate "step-brother" craze in contemporary romance a couple ..."

20?!?!?! I'm curious what series/book that is!

message 19: by L J (last edited Aug 05, 2018 10:47AM) (new)

L J | 110 comments Kristi wrote: "L J wrote: "Celestine wrote: "I dislike how reverse harem plot lines seem to be riding a wave right now....
20?!?!?! I'm curious what series/book that is! "

Not sure where I saw it and I only read a brief description.
I'll see if it's in my browsing history on Amazon. If it was on Amazon it might have been on one of the top 100 free lists since I was scanning through those.
If it was in one of the summer reading suggestion emails or I just saw it mentioned on some blog I may not find it.
The author was not familiar to me and I did not add it to my tbr but the idea certainly stuck in my mind. That part was kind of unforgettable. I had a vision of a traditional harem room as seen in old movies but full of scantily clad men, very active young children and many babies.
ETA: Found lots of 3s, 5s and 7s on Amazon but not the sfr 20 so far. I thought maybe when I saw Haremworld series but that seems to be something else entirely.
ETA: Didn't find it on DailyFreeBooks but it might have been there before and dropped off the list.

message 20: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments A trope I like: Beauty and the Beast. Funny, I never thought of it in conjunction with alien male, human female romances until I saw it mentioned.

message 21: by Lily (new)

Lily | 3 comments I don't like the "Mars needs women" where the average Earth woman suddenly become fertile queens to some hot warrior alien race of only men. There's potential there but I usually can't get over the thinly veiled wish fulfilment aspect.

I wish there were more SFRs that are heavy and complex on characterization and emotional development of the romance.

message 22: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Sep 17, 2018 04:07PM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 36 comments My favorite trope for SFR is "both my Symbiot and I are claiming you as our mate"...pretty much S.E. Smith style. Or the dormant beast species in Mikayla Lane's books. She's one of my newest favorite authors and I doubt I could ever read Viper too many times! (Side note: it has a cool reincarnation angle as well). In PNR, the parallel trope would be "my stubborn wolf wants you and no one else will do". I like it when the hero drags his feet just a bit, always imagining he wants something different than he really needs. Ideally, he should also shout from the rooftop what an idiot he's been. That's fun too!

(P.S. If anyone knows of more sci-fi/sfr/pnr/uf titles with a symbiot/symbiont/alien rider/possessed host/2 souls-1-body theme, or anything similar, I'd love recommendations!)

message 23: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments Lily wrote: "I don't like the "Mars needs women" where the average Earth woman suddenly become fertile queens to some hot warrior alien race of only men. There's potential there but I usually can't get over the..."

I can read these for laughs. It is clear earth will eventually rule all because our females are fertile with all species, which, when you think about it, is really creepy. Add to that Earth is the only planet with chocolate and the power is clear.

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenniferl915) | 320 comments I've been trying to think of a trope I don't like. There is not one or two that I dislike, but there are a couple I don't care for too much. I don't care for "reverse harems" with more than two men/ aliens. More than two just gets to be too ridiculous. I mean, could you imagine arguing about how to load the dishwasher with 4 men?!

I also don't get into bdsm or domestic discipline much. Every once in a while I'll be in the mood.

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1 comments I like the "Mars needs women" -- it's one of my favs. I also really like the "Aliens don't like skinny bitches" one. Total wish fulfillment but that is why I read. I really love when the heroines are clever or funny -- or even both.

I really can't stand BDSM in any form. I don't find pain sexy at all.

message 26: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments Mindy Klasky has a list of Romance Tropes on her website https://www.mindyklasky.com/index.php...
I think I need to study the list. I didn't think about some of these things being tropes.

message 27: by KJ (new)

KJ Van Houten | 237 comments Mod
Definitely an interesting list! Could be useful in separating the tropes I like from those I don’t.

message 28: by Laz (new)

Laz the Sailor (laz7) | 62 comments Nice list. She forgot rock-star(s) and the menage variants.

message 29: by L J (new)

L J | 110 comments Maybe common enough to consider it a trope.
Alien reptiles, unless dragonish, are usually villains, creepy pervs or both. Not going to list titles because the reptile persona is often part of the reveal.
In real life I like snakes and other reptiles but my tolerance for them in SFR and PNR is low in large part due to one book with a snake alien. He could appear as human or as an earth snake. As earth snake he pretended to be his human self's pet and frequently was in the heroine's room. Disturbingly stalkerish, he made me cringe even before in his alien snake form he attempted to rape the heroine. With few exceptions I now find SFR or PNR snake shifters disturbing and other reptillian aliens, unless dragons, unappealing even when they are heroes.