Classic Horror Lovers discussion

The Frankenscience Monster
This topic is about The Frankenscience Monster
Movies and TV Talk > The Frankenscience Monster

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

C.C.Webb | 6 comments I'm not sure if this is better suited for book discussion; it is a book but it's all about Boris Karloff and the classic horror era. I wanted to bring it up, though, in case there's anyone else out there obsessed with old school horror films like I am.

The Frankenscience Monster is kind of a collection that's both an homage and biography of Boris Karloff. It was published the same year he died and features a lot of first-person recollections (as well as a brief novelization of the Frankenstein film!) It also talks a lot about other stars at the time, particularly Lon Chaney sr., Bela Lugosi, and makeup artist Jack Pierce.

Definitely not everyone's cup of tea but if you're passionate about this kind of thing and/or a fan of Karloff it's a great what I'd call "companion piece." I had such a blast reading about movies--both well known and lesser--that I've seen, radio dramas mentioned and even things I didn't know (Karloff's likeness inspired comic artists? What?)

So yeah folks--if this sounds like something up your alley, check it out!

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Brian (davidbrian) | 16 comments Thanks for the link, C.C. This definitely sounds like something I need to check out. ;)

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 13 comments I believe I remember this title being advertised in the back pages of "Famous Monsters Of Filmland". No big surprise there.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 13 comments Does anyone know what the contents are and what writers contributed to this book?

message 5: by C.C.Webb (last edited Mar 20, 2018 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.C.Webb | 6 comments Robert wrote: "I believe I remember this title being advertised in the back pages of "Famous Monsters Of Filmland". No big surprise there."
Nope! That publication and this one share the same editor; he mentions the magazine several times throughout this book.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael | 35 comments Robert wrote: "Does anyone know what the contents are and what writers contributed to this book?"

The book cover states that it has observations by Ray Bradbury, Robert Bloch, Lon Chaney, Christopher Lee and Vincent Price.

message 7: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 80 comments This book sounds really good.