Play Book Tag discussion

March 2018: Autobiography > Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

This is so funny! I was laughing out loud at a number of places. This short book is the story of Justin Halpern growing up with his dad, the most down to earth and (at first) shockingly vulgar I've "known." Or as Halpern states "For as long as I've known him, my father has been a blunt individual." And he goes on through the book proving that with some interesting and funny quotes and stories.

Once you get past the salty language he uses, you have to admire Sam Halpern. You don't learn right away what Sam's own childhood and early life were like but it is just amazing that this man, this blunt and salty man, is a doctor of nuclear medicine. You'd never tell it by listening to him. You do get used to the language but it can be off-putting to start with so don't pick it up if you are really offended by four letter words.

At first I wondered if Sam even liked his son (the author) but it becomes very clear that he does. The book is a delight, though I'm not sure how I'd respond if I got to meet Sam in real life!

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I loved this when I read it.
I heard there was a TV show that premiered off of Halpern's stories, but never saw it. Maybe the show didn't live up to the books.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I used to follow him on Twitter. Hilarious!

message 4: by annapi (last edited Mar 19, 2018 03:16PM) (new)

annapi | 5068 comments The show had William Shatner as the dad. It was funny, but not as funny as the book and I think it only lasted one season.

message 5: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments Joi wrote: "I loved this when I read it.
I heard there was a TV show that premiered off of Halpern's stories, but never saw it. Maybe the show didn't live up to the books."

I can't imagine a TV show that would have the language there was in the book. Unless, of course, it is on one of the non-censored channels. I'm not prudish but I would expect a big hoopla if that was on regular networks!