The Official History Chicks Podcast Book Club discussion

Book Choices > April Book - Nellie Bly: Daredevil, Reporter, Feminist

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (last edited Mar 19, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

Amber (mommytucker) | 157 comments Mod
Nellie Bly Daredevil, Reporter, Feminist by Brooke Kroeger

"She had herself committed to an insane asylum, circled the globe in 72 days, and worked as an elephant trainer, all for a good story. Nellie Bly (1864-1922) was the most famous female reporter of her day, and a pioneering businesswoman (she started the first steel-barrel manufacturing plant in the U.S.). Journalist Kroeger's formidably well-researched book, based on legal and archival material as well as Bly's more than 600 newspaper and magazine articles, paints a compelling portrait of a woman who learned early not to rely on men, yet coupled her can-do spirit with a vivacious femininity that endeared her to readers during a 37-year career. "

Nellie Bly was covered on episode 20 of The History Chicks. Look forward to hearing your thoughts of Nellie Bly and how her reputation, energy and determination changed the way the world viewed women.

http://thehistorychicks.com/episode-2...

Gretchen J Blough | 3 comments It’s available for free if you have a Kindle Unlimited subscription.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 1 comments Ok so I just got this from the library, does anyone else think this book will take longer than a month? But I am excited to learn about Nellie Bly, this looks very interesting.

message 4: by Holley Jay (new)

Holley Jay C | 4 comments I’ll be checking my library on Tuesday!!!

message 5: by Amber (new)

Kelly wrote: "Ok so I just got this from the library, does anyone else think this book will take longer than a month? But I am excited to learn about Nellie Bly, this looks very interesting."

It is a rather large book but it seems like an easy read. I think it can be done but it is completely up to your comfort level. :)

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookosaurus_rex) | 1 comments So excited! Can’t wait to start. :)

message 7: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 4 comments While I was waiting for my library to get Nellie Bly: Daredevil, Reporter, Feminist, I bought Ten Days In A Mad House by Nellie Bly and have been reading it. It is so interesting and I really enjoy how engaging her writing is. It is a small paperback book and definitely is a great supplement for this months book!

message 8: by Amber (new)

We would love to hear your feedback as you read 10 Days in a Madhouse. It is a good supplement while you wait.

Gretchen J Blough | 3 comments The Bowery Boys did an episode on 10 Days in A Madhouse that I’m going to listen to later today. I had listened to the book on Librivox when the History Chicks did the Nellie Bly episode.

message 10: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Lemmons Monteleone (kdlmonteleone) | 1 comments Just started reading Nellie Bly: Daredevil using Kindle Unlimited. I'm enjoying it so far, but the author didn't do a great job of laying out sentences, I feel. She sort of jumps around instead of staying in a chronological format. I guess I'm spoiled after hearing it so neatly put together on the History Chicks podcast! :)

message 11: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 4 comments Gretchen J Blough wrote: "The Bowery Boys did an episode on 10 Days in A Madhouse that I’m going to listen to later today. I had listened to the book on Librivox when the History Chicks did the Nellie Bly episode."

Hey Gretchen! I didn't know the Bowery Boys did an episode on the book I am going to listen to it. Thanks!

message 12: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (kait12) | 2 comments Okay yes, if you haven't read 10 Days in a Madhouse yet, you really should! It's easy to read and so fascinating! It would make an excellent companion to this month's book!

Gretchen J Blough | 3 comments It was a happy accident that I found the Bowery Boys episode, so I was very happy to share!

message 14: by Amber (new)

Well thank you ladies!

message 15: by Amber (new)

Brooke Kroeger has really laid out Nellie Bly's childhood within her first second of this book! I thoroughly enjoy that she has broken each section of her life up for us to have a better understanding of the timeline of her life. Anyone else have any thoughts so far?

message 16: by Tara (new)

Tara (snarkishrunner) | 4 comments I just joined the group but I also just listened to this episode today (I just discovered the podcast so am starting from the beginning). If you don't mind some irreverence, Drunk History has a Nellie Bly segment. It's funny, but informative for the length of content.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Vollenweider (essephvee) | 3 comments Mod
Tara wrote: "I just joined the group but I also just listened to this episode today (I just discovered the podcast so am starting from the beginning). If you don't mind some irreverence, Drunk History has a Nel..."

Do we mind some irreverence? We live for it!!! (I love Drunk History!) Welcome to the group!

message 18: by Amber (new)

Welcome! Of course we don’t mind interference! Thanks for sharing! Like myself, I’m sure there are many of us that have never heard of Drunk History so definitely want to check that out!

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments How is everyone doing with this book? Due to the kids school year wrapping up - it took me longer than I expected but I really enjoyed it.

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara (snarkishrunner) | 4 comments Jessica wrote: "How is everyone doing with this book? Due to the kids school year wrapping up - it took me longer than I expected but I really enjoyed it."

I just finished it this week. I felt like it got way bogged down in too many details around the bankruptcy issue. I need to go back and listen to the podcast now to refresh my memory on their take.

message 21: by Amber (new)

I really enjoyed it too but I was with you! May was rough with ALL of the kid’s end of the year activities, ball, dance recitals,etc. I just finished as well. What were your thoughts?

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments I enjoyed it - and admittedly knew little about Nellie Bly to start with. I feel like in some ways the author tried to do so much, but the other part of me feels like she had to get into some of the stuff (the conflict with other girl reporters or at least perceived conflict/how other publications felt about her/later the bankruptcy/corporate conflicts - because without that background info it is difficult to get the full picture.