Rediscover the Classics discussion

Favourite Classic Novels > Frankenstein; Or, The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Anderson (lonesomereader) | 14 comments Mod
Post your thoughts and feelings about reading this novel here.

Why did you choose it? Had you ever read it before? If you’ve decided to stop reading it, what made you put it down? What’s your overall opinion if you finished it?

message 2: by Eric (last edited Mar 20, 2018 05:54AM) (new)

This was my first time reading Frankenstein and I absolutely loved it. It's amazing how relevant and current Shelley's classic story about alienation feels. And it felt like the perfect time to read it since the novel was published 200 years ago.

Interestingly, this is the novel in this group of favourite classics that has our highest completion rate so far! 33% of people who picked it have now finished it.

message 3: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) Eric wrote: "Interestingly, this is the novel in this group of favourite classics that has our highest completion rate so far! 33% of people who picked it have now finished it. "

That is a very interesting stat, Eric! I hope you will be sharing more stats with us as we join your project :-)

message 4: by Eric (new)

Ying Ying wrote: "That is a very interesting stat, Eric! I hope you will be sharing more stats with us as we join your project :-)"

Yes, I definitely will! 😀

message 5: by Eric (new)

This is such an oddly curious National Post article criticising Mary Shelley's novel 200 years on. I don't agree with a lot of it, but it's certainly true that the novel has created a complicated legacy with confused interpretations of Frankenstein's monster: http://nationalpost.com/opinion/the-problem-with-frankenstein-200-year-old-novel-is-a-cobbled-together-monster

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Rhomberg (jellybooks) | 4 comments Mod
Here is a very interesting video by the National Theater on Mary Shelley, the woman who wrote Frankenstein. Remember she wrote this book at the tender age of 19!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4p96...

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Frankenstein and the war in Iraq - A prize-winning novel takes the monster to Baghdad with retelling of Mary Shelley's Classic

https://www.economist.com/news/books-...

message 8: by Eric (new)

Frankenstein still tops the charts! More people have completed this novel than any other book in the group. To date, 37% who began reading this novel finished it. This is compared to Pride & Prejudice which was completed by 20% of people who started it... followed closely by The Picture of Dorian Gray with a 17% completion rate.

Is it true that longer novels decrease our chances of having the stamina to complete them?
If that's true, I'm somewhat surprised to see Wuthering Heights has one of the lowest completion rates.

message 9: by Andrew (new)

but I have had three readers tell me that they are in a "Anna Karenina" marathon...

message 10: by Andrew (new)

by the way the completion rate hasn't gone up, because the number of new users starting the book, equals those finishing the book at the moment...