Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama
This is the second of Gail Tsukiyama's novels I have read and I enjoyed it very much. This is the story of Pei from the time she is 9 years old and her mother has another baby, another girl. The family is in bad shape, they are farmers and it is a bad year. At the age of 9 Pei is give to the silk work. She is left at the Girl's House. The story continues through Pei's life into her adulthood though her age is not obvious at the end of the story but she is not an old woman.

I expected the story to be one of mistreatment but it wasn't and Pei's life is very interesting. It is not without its hardships but not as bad as I expected. I really found it to be a story of hope. There are many excellent characters and the information about the silk work is not overly technical but enough to enlighten the reader.

Well done and a fascinating look at an historical period and industry.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2763 comments I liked this one, too. The story continues with The Language of Threads, another interesting look at Chinese woman outside the traditional protection of a family. There are two more of her books that I want to read, but the best so far was The Samurai's Garden.

message 3: by Cynda (last edited Mar 19, 2018 06:00PM) (new)

Cynda Hi Barbara. I have seen copies at used nookstore. I will keep this book in mind for Asian History Month