Read Women discussion

Archive > April Nominations - Africa

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise, Group Founder (last edited Mar 21, 2018 12:31PM) (new)

Louise | 680 comments Mod
Nominations for our next 'Read Around the World' book are now open.

In April we will be reading a book set in Africa

Books set in any African country we have not already 'visited' are acceptable for nomination, and the author does not have to be from said country (though it might be worth noting if they are). Also acceptable are books set in the African continent, but where the country is never identified by name (e.g. the county African country the narrator of Swing Time visits is never named).

Once the winner is picked, we will strike that country off the list next time we visit Africa.

Nomination Rules
1. Book must be written by a woman (transwomen and women writing under male pseudonyms are women)
2. Book must be set (or at least half-set) in any African country
3. Please identify the title , authors name , and the country (if identifiable) your book is set in when nominating.
4. Ideally use the Goodreads 'add book/author' button when nominating, otherwise your nomination may be missed.
5. Try to avoid using this thread for chatter and don't link to any book that isn't your nomination as it makes it very hard to locate what are actual nominations and what is just discussion.
6. One nomination per person.
7. Don't nominate a book set in a country we have already 'visited' - those can be nominated for the main group read whenever they fit in with the theme or we have an open choice month.

African Countries we have already visited:
1. Ghana -Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Nominations will close on 23 March, when the poll goes up.

Helpful Links!
List of Countries in Africa A-Z
List of Countries by Continent

Nominations so far:
Zoo City by Lauren Beukes - South Africa
Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta - Nigeria
The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna - Sierra Leone
Efuru by Flora Nwapa - Nigeria
The Joys of Motherhood by Buchi Emecheta - Nigeria
Kintu by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi - Uganda
Hum If You Don’t Know the Words by Bianca Marais - South Africa
Thirty-One Brothers and Sisters by Reba Paeff Mirsky - Probably South Africa (largest Zulu population)

message 2: by Louise, Group Founder (last edited Mar 20, 2018 01:07PM) (new)

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Nigeria

Zoo City by Lauren Beukes - South Africa (Author is South African)

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna set in Sierra Leone

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1792 comments Mod
I nominate Efuru by Flora Nwapa — set in Nigeria.

message 5: by Claire (new)

message 6: by Louise, Group Founder (new)

Cendaquenta wrote: "Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie- set in Nigeria and Biafra during the Biafran war"

Hi Cendaquenta, we read Half of a Yellow Sun as a general group read in 2016. Do you want to pick another book to nominate?

message 7: by Louise, Group Founder (new)

Had another look on my bookshelf and, given the many Nigerian books on the nom list, am gunna switch my nom to Zoo City by South African author, Lauren Beukes - set in South Africa.

message 8: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 43 comments Louise wrote: "Cendaquenta wrote: "Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie- set in Nigeria and Biafra during the Biafran war"

Hi Cendaquenta, we read Half of a Yellow Sun as ..."

I can't think of another book to nominate, no. I'll just delete that post then. Sorry!

message 9: by Liesl (new)

Liesl | 452 comments I would like to nominate Kintu by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi. It is set in Uganda.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindaleehall) | 6 comments I nominate Hum If You Don't Know the Words by Bianca Marais, apartheid South Africa.

message 11: by Lyn (new)

Lyn Jensen | 22 comments "Thirty-one Brothers and Sisters" by Reba Paeff Mirsky

message 12: by Louise, Group Founder (new)

Nominations now closed - poll to go up shortly