Rebellious Writing discussion

All the Writerly Things > Bookish Rants

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gray, lover of all things bookish (new)

Gray Cox | 100 comments Mod
Is there something you dislike in YA? From bad words to clichés, feel free to discuss your frustrations here!

message 2: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 93 comments Gray wrote: "Is there something you dislike in YA? From bad words to clichés, feel free to discuss your frustrations here!"

I really hate it when they decide to add sex to YA books. Especially when the characters get into a relationship and all their time together is spent discussing when they will be ready and how long they should wait and etc... Like that's the next natural step in their relationship or something. *glares*

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonriera) | 9 comments Bad words and inappropriate romance (*cough* you know what I mean) are my biggest pet peeves in YA lit.

message 4: by Gray, lover of all things bookish (new)

Nicki wrote: "Gray wrote: "Is there something you dislike in YA? From bad words to clichés, feel free to discuss your frustrations here!"

I really hate it when they decide to add sex to YA books. Especially whe..."

OH MY GOODNESS YES. My friend and I were talking about how much we couldn't stand that once, and how books would be so much better if they didn't focus on that or at least kept it behind closed doors.

message 5: by Gray, lover of all things bookish (new)

Allison wrote: "Bad words and inappropriate romance (*cough* you know what I mean) are my biggest pet peeves in YA lit."

Same, although I'm okay with a few bad words if they're used sparingly sometimes.

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonriera) | 9 comments Gray wrote: "Allison wrote: "Bad words and inappropriate romance (*cough* you know what I mean) are my biggest pet peeves in YA lit."

Same, although I'm okay with a few bad words if they're used sparingly some..."

Yes--I agree. A few bad words is okay, but it's annoying when I'm literally flipping every page going "Language!" and imitating Cap. lol :))

message 7: by Micaiah (new)

Micaiah Saldaña | 3 comments I would love to get rid of the me-centered romances, and the fact that romance basically permeates every YA novel. If it’s written well and adds to the plot, cool, but if not.... it’s best to leave it out.

message 8: by Gray, lover of all things bookish (new)

Micaiah wrote: "I would love to get rid of the me-centered romances, and the fact that romance basically permeates every YA novel. If it’s written well and adds to the plot, cool, but if not.... it’s best to leave..."

Ooh, I feel the same way a lot of the time. Although I do like a fluffy romance everyone and a while.