The Patrick Hamilton Appreciation Society discussion

Words Best Sung
This topic is about Words Best Sung
Hamilton-esque books, authors.. > 'Words Best Sung' by Lee Stuart Evans

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nigeyb (last edited Mar 19, 2018 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nigeyb | 3858 comments Mod
Possibly not very Hamiltonian however I just heard about....

'Words Best Sung' by Lee Stuart Evans

Loads of good reviews on Amazon, here's one...

Echoes of Alan Sillitoe with colloquial language in parts reminiscent of another great local Nottinghamshire author DH Lawrence, this story is delightfully engaging from the start. It is so very well written it must rank as a new literary classic already. The characters are keenly observed and beautifully written, with their story at times moving, funny, and always absorbing. I imagined the main character, Alastair as a dashing young Terrence Stamp, and the beautiful Charlotte as an equally gorgeous Julie Christie. It is a wonderful coming of age story, where the main characters must choose between the head or the heart, a decision we all face at some point in our lives. Mr Evans is clearly an immensely talented writer, as the quality of this writing shines from every page. It is crying out to be dramatised & would make for great viewing. Very highly recommended.

- Jonathan Nicholas - TOP 1000 REVIEWER

Lee Stuart Evans was born at Chesterfield and grew up in north Nottinghamshire.

A full-time comedy writer since 2002, he's written for many hit TV and radio shows including 8 Out of 10 Cats and 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, The Jonathan Ross Show, The Frank Skinner Show, 10 O’clock Live, A League of Their Own, I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! Live At The Apollo, and many more.

Words Best Sung is his first novel and has received the following nice comments:

"I very much enjoyed this debut novel. If you're a fan of Billy Liar, going down to London and the Kinks, so will you" - Andy Miller, author 'The Year of Reading Dangerously'.

"Hilarious, touching, romantic...a really cracking read" - Sally Lindsay

"Cracking debut...plenty of laugh-out-loud lines...will be loved by anyone with a fondness for the Swinging Sixties" - John Baird, Nottingham UNESCO City of Literature

"A lovely, heartfelt story" - Dave Johns, star of the Ken Loach Bafta and Palme d'Or-winning film, I, Daniel Blake.

"So evocative and lovingly written" - Nat Luurtsema, author "Girl Out of Water".

"A love-letter to Nottinghamshire" - Chloe Campbell, Left Lion magazine

“A nostalgic coming of age novel that’ll transport you back to the Sixties” - NottsLit blog

LISTEN to the Words Best Sung soundtrack, featuring some of the great sixties tunes (plus Richard Hawley) from the book:

https://open.spotify.com/user/1119197...

'Words Best Sung' by Lee Stuart Evans

Mark Rubenstein | 1364 comments Words Best Sung sounds right up my street, so I made a dash to Amazon UK to place an order. Bewilderingly, the seller won’t ship stateside, so I’m doubtful of my chances. I sent an email to the seller through Amazon, so we’ll see what happens.

That's a shame. Still, you'll be able to pick up a copy on your next visit to these shores. I should be able to give you my impressions before then.

message 4: by Mark (last edited Mar 21, 2018 05:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Rubenstein | 1364 comments Fair point, but my UK shopping list is growing unwieldy already, just between Jump The Gun and Parma Violets!

Mark Rubenstein | 1364 comments Result! I managed to purchase a copy, and am really looking forward to reading it. Many thanks for the heads-up!

I hope it's as good as I anticipate it is.

I've started this. Very credible evocation of the Nottingham area and the era more generally. A bit early to comment on the story but, overall, so far, it's a thumbs up.

The Patrick Hamilton Appreciation Society

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Words Best Sung (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lee Stuart Evans (other topics)