What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books about Miniature People

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 43 comments Does anyone know of any books where real people are shrunk, or dolls come to life, and are living in dollhouses? Or just books about miniature people in general, such as The Borrowers? Sometimes doing a search brings up an endless list of dollhouse books. TIA

I know of Small World, The Lambkins, The Picolinis, The Borrowers, The Indian in the Cupboard.

message 2: by OddModicum Rachel (last edited Jul 24, 2014 11:25AM) (new)

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 42 comments Ok, fabulous question! I could use some 'tiny people' fiction recs, myself. Always makes me smile. ;)

I'll offer up a rather hysterical bit of satire by Tom Holt... reviews don't do this one justice, imo. Truly laugh out loud uproarious. And you've got not only actual people being shrunk down to miniature, but a sorta magical race of green skinned elves (rather a rude lot, really) being enslaved by 'the man' and hiding in plain site in english country gardens. Funny. I'm due for a reread of this one myself.;)
Little People by Tom Holt
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 3: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments The Mysterious Shrinking House (Original title: Mindy's Mysterious Miniature)

USA title: Mindy's Mysterious Miniature. Republished UK title: The Housenapper.

message 4: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments And by the same author, The lost farm
by Jane Louise Curry

message 5: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Margo's House
by Peni R. Griffin

message 6: by bookel (last edited Jul 24, 2014 09:55PM) (new)

bookel | 2103 comments The City Under the Back Steps by Evelyn Sibley Lampman

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids by B.B. Hiller

The boys who vanished by John F Carson

message 7: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments The Castle of Yew
by Lucy M. Boston

message 8: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments http://www.librarything.com/work/2016...
The return of the twelves by Pauline Clarke

message 10: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments http://www.librarything.com/series/An...
Antelope books by Willis Hall

message 11: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Mistress Masham's Repose
by T. H. White

message 12: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

Knight's Castle by Edward Eager

message 13: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop

The Battle for the Castle by Elizabeth Winthrop

message 14: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Do-it-yourself magic
by Ruth Chew

message 16: by bookel (last edited Jul 24, 2014 09:57PM) (new)

bookel | 2103 comments The Littles series by John Peterson
http://www.librarything.com/series/Th...

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 43 comments Wow, thank you two for these great suggestions. It's been kind of a favorite plot of mine since I was a kid and was obsessed with the idea of "tiny people" and how they get along in their dollhouses, matchboxes, or wherever they are forced to lay their heads, lol.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 43 comments Rachel wrote: "Ok, fabulous question! I could use some 'tiny people' fiction recs, myself. Always makes me smile. ;)

I'll offer up a rather hysterical bit of satire by Tom Holt... reviews don't do this one justi..."

This looks hilarious. Thanks!

message 19: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Farley, Are You for Real?
by Marjorie N. Allen

message 20: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments http://www.librarything.com/series/La...
Land of the giants books based on TV series

message 21: by bookel (last edited Jul 24, 2014 09:59PM) (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Stuart Little by E B White, which was what the movies were based on

message 22: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments http://www.librarything.com/series/St...
Also a series for younger readers

message 23: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments http://www.librarything.com/series/Mo...
Moth-kin magic by Kennedy Tapp and sequel

message 24: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments http://www.librarything.com/work/4635...
The barrel in the basement by Barbara Brooks Wallace

message 25: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments http://www.librarything.com/series/Me...
Mennyms series according to description are actually life size dolls

message 26: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments The doll people by Ann M Martin

message 28: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Tom Thumb and Thumbelina, you've probably heard of those.

message 29: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments The Racketty-Packetty House
by Frances Hodgson Burnett

message 30: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Danny Dunn and the Smallifying Machine
by Jay Williams, and Raymond Abrashkin

message 31: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments The Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, and Wings by Terry Pratchett

message 33: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments The Minpins by Roald Dahl

The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone

In the Small by Michael Hague

The Inch-High Samurai by Ralph F. McCarthy

Toby and the Secrets of the Tree by Timothee de Fombelle

Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle

Sir Small and the Sea Monster by Jane O'Connor

message 34: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Small World of Binky Braverman
by Rosemary Wells

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 42 comments Tressa wrote: "Wow, thank you two for these great suggestions. It's been kind of a favorite plot of mine since I was a kid and was obsessed with the idea of "tiny people" and how they get along in their dollhouse..."
+1 on the great suggestions! So many of these look fun. For me, one of the huge allures of 'teensy' folk has always been the tiny bits and bobs of household detritus that they repurpose for their own use in ingenius ways. I cannot remember for the life of me which book had a wee person (or maybe it was a mouse? can't recall) who had a tiny darling little bed made up inside an old wooden matchbox. Cute! And one of my favorite aspects of Kim Harrison's amazing Hollows series is the pixie Jenks, with his 40+ kids and his tiny little wife, and their magical home in the stump in the back graveyard/garden. Can't remember specifics, but he'd used everything from postage stamps to poker chips and altoids tins (even a ragged bit of lace from a thong!) to create his family home. Oh, and mustn't leave out the 'guarddog' wasp, or his pet dragonfly. I'm a fan of twee, apparently. ;)

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 42 comments bookel wrote: "The Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, and Wings by Terry Pratchett"
Ooh, good one! I actually have that series in my elibrary, and have never gotten round to reading it. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 37: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Midnight in the Dollhouse
by Marjorie Stover

message 38: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Hero of Downways (sci-fi)

message 40: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 43 comments Rachel,I also think a fun aspect of the wee genre is seeing how they use everyday objects to furnish their lives.

Thanks for even more titles!

message 41: by caracal-eyes (last edited Jul 25, 2014 07:44PM) (new)

caracal-eyes | 134 comments The Dark Ground trilogy by Gillian Cross. - The protagonist wakes up after falling asleep on an airplane, and is bewildered to find himself in a jungle-like landscape--actually the park near his house, but on an enormous scale. He then finds others like him.

Also, Terry Pratchett's The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30), A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, and I Shall Wear Midnight feature the Nac Mac Feegle, little blue pictsies who love to steal, drink, and fight, and friends/sidekicks of the young heroine and witch-in-training Tiffany Aching. Maybe not precisely what you were looking for, but those are the only other books I could think of.

message 42: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 340 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Under a Mushroom
Everything Under a Mushroom
A Tiny Family"

I looked at the images on amazon for A Tiny Family A Tiny Family by Norman Bridwell .
The drawing of the grandfather sawing a carrot like it was a log is funny.
Thanks for linking this book. It's given me some ideas for an outside project with my granddaughter. We usually play with her doll house inside but now I think we're going to take the dolls outside!

message 43: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Jul 26, 2014 12:41AM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 36945 comments Mod
^
That was one of my absolute favorite books as a child.

I think we're going to take the dolls outside!

I used to take my brother's matchbox cars outside and use the grass and other plants as a jungle and make dirt roads....it was the best.

message 44: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 340 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "^
That was one of my absolute favorite books as a child.

I think we're going to take the dolls outside!

I used to take my brother's matchbox cars outside and use the grass and other plants as a j..."

I was a matchbox car in the dirt kid too.
I've tried switching the girly over to miniature cars but she seems to prefer the doll house stuff.
I'll be happy with building doll stuff with nature related things. We have some mini bears that will fit in better than the dolls.

message 45: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (00krystal) | 132 comments how frustrating and ironic - I was going to suggest one of my favorites from childhood ... only to search for the book title and discover that apparently that book does not exist. So now I must create my own thread on here to try and find the actual title of this book. I'll keep you posted if/when the book is found!

message 46: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Found another.

Five dolls in a house
Author: Pauline Clarke
Publisher: Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall [1965]
Edition/Format:  Book : Fiction : Juvenile audience : EnglishView all editions and formats
Database: WorldCat
Summary:
Elizabeth becomes doll-sized and visits her dolls in their house where she wins their confidence and friendship as Mrs. Small, the landlady.

message 47: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 340 comments Five Dolls in a House Five Dolls in a House (Five Dolls, #1) by Helen Clare

Do you mean this one by Helen Clare?

message 48: by bookel (last edited Jul 28, 2014 01:33AM) (new)

bookel | 2103 comments Plot appears similar. Worldcat records aren't always accurate. Checked. Yes, librarything has the same plot. It's also a series.

message 49: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36945 comments Mod
The Teenie Weenie series by William Donahey. I remembered I had mentioned them in another thread (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 42 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "The Teenie Weenie series by William Donahey. I remembered I had mentioned them in another thread (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)

"

What rip roariously funny cover art! Looks cute, for sure. BTW... I'm dying to know the meaning behind the 'has never smelled durian fruit' tagline in your name.

« previous 1