CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Threads > Week 12 - Book Versus Movie

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (morwesong) | 51 comments Good morning, everyone!

It has definitely been a very Mondayish Monday for me. I somehow managed to get out of my house and make the 30+ minute commute to work without my glasses on! I am able to see, mostly, but I can feel the strain already. Is it Friday yet?

I read an interesting conversation on Facebook that I thought I would bring over here. There are very few film adaptations that I prefer to the original books, but they do exist. For me, the first thing that comes to mind is The Hunger Games trilogy. When I first read them, I distinctly remember thinking that the books felt like a screenplay. I enjoyed them, but I felt as though they'd make better films than books. I did watch all of the films, and I liked them better than the books.

I enjoy Neil Gaiman, but I admit to liking the films for both Stardust and Coraline better than the books.

So, let me know - which movies are better than the books?

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Stardust by Neil Gaiman Coraline by Neil Gaiman

message 2: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I was also going to say Stardust! Also, a couple of Nicholas Sparks movies. The Notebook.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 471 comments I agree with both the Hunger Games and Stardust (I haven't seen Coraline- and it's been years since I read it). I would also add The Chronicles of Narnia (all 3 that have been made recently- didn't watch the earlier versions). I enjoyed the books, but thought the movies were more engaging.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 742 comments Mod
Not a movie, but a play- Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I hated the book. I couldn't feel any sympathy for Elphaba and it was just way too depressing for me. The play on the other hand is amazing; I still can't believe they were able to take that book and turn it something so good on stage.

I also agree with Stardust. I enjoyed the book but I loved the movie.

Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire Stardust by Neil Gaiman

message 5: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha I could not get past the first 50 pages of Twilight, but I watched the movie -- and then proceeded to watch the rest of them. The same for Hunger Games and the Divergent series; I could not read the books but watched all the movies. (The Hunger Games movies were much better than the Divergent ones, in my opinion. I found the lead actress in Divergent annoying, for some reason; but I loved Jennifer Lawrence.) The Harry Potter movies were phenomenal and cast with actors and actresses that were born to play their parts. I always feel Stephen King books that are not considered horror do better in moves, i.e. Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me.
Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption A Story from Different Seasons by Stephen King Stand by Me by Stephen King