The Neverending Story The Neverending Story discussion

A Magical, Memorable Experience

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mary B This is my favorite book of all time. I still have special memories of being a child, completely enthralled by it, tired, feverish, hungry and unable to stop reading well into the night until I was finished. I felt like I could relate to Bastion and Atreyu's interwoven stories so much that the edges of reality blurred for me, just a little bit. I felt like I was apart of the story, like it was a special gift that had been given to me by the author himself.

I'm completely sure this was Michael Ende's intention and he wrote it for this purpose, to make kids like me feel at home, special and important. Or rather to convince us of how important we already were.

Sara Testarossa Thanks for sharing your experience with the book, Marybeth! I think it's a fantastic fantasy book, so well written and gripping, with a good message. I actually read it as a teenager, not as a child, so I may have even appreciated it more than I would have if I were younger when reading it.

Although it's not nearly as complex as this book, since you like Michael Ende's writing, I highly recommend the first book I read by him, The Night of Wishes. That one is interesting and funny!

message 3: by Mary B (last edited Jul 24, 2014 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary B Sara wrote: "Thanks for sharing your experience with the book, Marybeth! I think it's a fantastic fantasy book, so well written and gripping, with a good message. I actually read it as a teenager, not as a chil..."

Thanks so much for the rec. I've always been curious about Michael Ende's other work but for some reason never thought to look it up. I'll definitley hunt down a copy of that, digital or physical.

I'm lucky enough to have been gifted a great edition of TNES, printed in red and green with manuscript illumination at the begining of each chapter. <3 That's not how I first came by it. As a kid I had the paperback. But it definitley makes for enjoyable re-reading.

Maeros  I love this book. I think it's beautiful. What do people think of the film? To me it was just as beautiful, because it pulled me in and made me feel like I counted.

Gisela Hafezparast I also read this book as a child and loved it, just like Michael Ende's other book "Momo". Moreover, I seem to remember a film had come out in the 80s, which was really well done.

message 6: by Elanna (last edited Dec 02, 2014 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elanna I love you all!
I read the book as a child, and it's still one of my favourite readings... It's far more complex than a children's story, and even if I'm not at all interested in theosophy or esotherism, studying it by an adult perspective was a strange and enthralling experience.
Plus, in Rome I met and cooperated for a while with a "pataphysic theatre" company called "Ygramul Le Millemolte" :D