David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Book Talk > YA Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Daniel (last edited Jul 24, 2014 09:00AM) (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Well, that pretty much eliminates everything I've read. lol
One thing I would recommend that you should read whenever you want a laugh is Swim the Fly (Swim the Fly, #1) by Don Calame . The themes appeal to teenage guys, and the book is very funny. Not dystopian or paranormal, and the romance is barely there. It won't change your life, but is a good time-passer.

message 2: by Daniel (last edited Jul 24, 2014 08:59AM) (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Also, it's interesting how you like Patrick Ness- Chaos Walking is dystopian (and has romance). What is it about that series that you really liked that set it apart from other ones you read? That might help me get a feel for what kind of books you like. Maybe I can help you find another dystopian book that you enjoy- looking at everything you've read, you haven't read too many dystopian novels. There could be some good ones waiting for you.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments So you'd like to stay away from the stereotypical dystopian society. Got it.
Then do yourself a favour and stay away from The Testing (The Testing, #1) by Joelle Charbonneau .
I would maybe recommend Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant - it's not stereotypical dystopian in that the government isn't at all involved. The characters are essentially trapped under a dome and have to find a way to survive (and get out). What's interesting is that all characters over the age of 15 disappear when the dome comes down. The characters are easy to root for and are all very unique. (It's my personal favourite dystopian series). I would check it out if you have time.
Hope that helps.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Killian Gone is not light reading IMO. Just to warn you.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I have not found any Dystopian series I have loved since reading Chaos Walking so I feel your pain Killian. I am also quite picky about writing so I think we are on the same page. Everyone I know has loved I Am the Messenger so I hope you like it too. Also, by "light" I thought you meant "not intense" as Gone can be quite intense. I was not as in love with Gone as most others though so I might not be the best person to comment.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Yeah, what Heidi said.
Gone is fun, but it's seriously intense. It gets heart-pounding and scary at times. Only read it when you're looking for a thrill.

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Gory!! Gone is one of the goriest series I've read!!

I also really loved Chaos Walking, and I Am The Messenger and the Gone series!

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Yeah Karen, I must really like gory if I loved Gone so much. lol

I read the entire series buddy reading with David and Jenny. We were all pretty ok until Jenny hit the bugs! LOL! She was hilarious!

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Ooh, the bugs.
The thing that grossed me out was the bug growing on the kid's shoulder. Nasty. But I enjoyed the gore and blood- made it intense and scary, which I love.

There was so much of it, Daniel, that by the 4th book, you just became immune! (view spoiler)

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * wrote: "I am fairly picky but always recommend The MonstrumologistThe Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey The False PrinceThe False Prince (Ascendance Trilogy) by Jennifer A Nellson[book:Finnikin ..."

I second The False Prince and The Monstrumologist.

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments I don't remember that part Karen- maybe I chose to forget about it! lol
But you're right when you say that you get immune to the gore- it happens so often that your "ew" sensors get numb after a while.

message 15: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Yeah I hate bugs...especially huge bugs that grow inside people...EWWWWWWW

message 16: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Ooh, so you remember that too, Jenny.
Not. Pleasant.

message 17: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

If you like sci-fi at all, I love All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill Its very light sci-fi (time travel) mixed with action/adventure..really great read!

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Jenny wrote: "If you like sci-fi at all, I loveAll Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill Its very light sci-fi (time travel) mixed with action/adventure..really great read!"

All Our Yesterdays is one of my favorite time travel stories - awesome read! :)

message 19: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
I definitely second I Am The Messenger, it's absolutely brilliant! I'd also recommend Bruiser by Neal Shusterman and if you like his writing style and don't mind trying another really original dystopian, his Unwind series is pretty awesome.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Killian do you like just general YA fiction (i.e. no sci fi, dystopian elements??) For general fiction besides I Am the Messenger I highly recommend Okay for Now Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt Whale Talk Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher On the Jellicoe Road On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta Crazy Crazy by Han Nolan . For sci fi I recommend Ready Player One Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and White Cat White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black (kind of paranormal/sci fi)

message 21: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

David wrote: "I definitely second I Am The Messenger, it's absolutely brilliant! I'd also recommend Bruiser by Neal Shusterman and if you like his writing style and don't mind trying another really original dyst..."

Oh yes, Bruiser, I recently read that and it was SO GOOD!!! I recommend to EVERYONE, a must read!

And yes, Heidi, I second Ready Player One, I love that book!

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber (YA Indulgences) (yaindulgences) | 143 comments Might I suggest the Syrena Legacy by Anna Banks and Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress by Marrisa Meyer, although I haven't read them yet, but I've been dying to?

Oh and Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell is really good, as are her four other books I've heard.

message 23: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 12 comments Killian wrote: "While I am in the age bracket that YA is aimed at I've read lots of stuff in the field that I haven't liked. Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I like the YA authors Philip Reeve, Philip Pull..."
Anything by Neal Shusterman! Downsiders. Bruiser. Unwind series. The Schwa was Here and it's sequel Ansty Does Time are hilarious! His dark fusion books are cool.

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 12 comments Amber wrote: "Might I suggest the Syrena Legacy by Anna Banks and Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress by Marrisa Meyer, although I haven't read them yet, but I've been dying to?

Oh and Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell..."

I've read Cinder and can't wait to read the rest of that series. :)

message 25: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 12 comments Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * wrote: "Killian do you like just general YA fiction (i.e. no sci fi, dystopian elements??) For general fiction besides I Am the Messenger I highly recommend Okay for Now[bookcover:Okay for..."

The Curseworkers Series by Holly Black is awesome!

message 26: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 12 comments Killian wrote: "Karen wrote: "Gory!! Gone is one of the goriest series I've read!"

Violence! Yippee! I think after ASOIAF I'm pretty much immune to violence.

@Lauren: That looks like it could be interesting. I d..."

Yes! Gone! That series reminded me a bit of Stephen King.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Yay! Another Curseworkers fan. I love the series on audiobook narrated by the actor Jesse Eisenberg - he does an awesome job!

Natalie (Never trust a duck) I would suggest The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke. Very original and the romance isn't really there till book 2.

message 29: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Kathy wrote: "Killian wrote: "While I am in the age bracket that YA is aimed at I've read lots of stuff in the field that I haven't liked. Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I like the YA authors Philip Re..."

I agree completely, Shusterman is AMAZING!

message 30: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Woody (jodiwoody) | 10 comments Recently read this one. It comes out on December 9th. A great dystopian book! An Uncommon Blue

message 31: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) The Mystery of the Blue Dolphins (A Clarissa and Paw Mini Mystery, Vol. 1) The Mystery of the Blue Dolphins by Sandra Baublitz

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Read the complete review at The Mystery of the Blue Dolphins (A Clarissa and Paw Mini Mystery, Vol. 1)

A very short murder mystery but with such an awesome punch which sometimes even a full fledged novel cannot deliver. Clarissa and Paw are absolute lovable detectives. The Saint Bernard Paw is a darling digger and Clarissa is a very intuitive owner. Together, they manage to solve a murder mystery which was considered to be a suicide at first.

View all my reviews

message 32: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Legacy: The Murefre Saga (book 1) Legacy: The Murefre Saga by B.R. Jensen

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Check the complete review at
Legacy: The Murefre Saga (book 1)

Legacy is a sci-fi, into the future kind of book. Unfortunately it is too much into the future for my liking. The story is set in a world where human beings are sorted into three categories: Murefre, human beings and Tonug Gal

For those who like sci fi stories set far into the future, this will be an interesting read. The setting and description are detailed and proper. There are first person narration from literally all the characters. There is heart break, treachery, fights, loyalty, everything.

View all my reviews

message 33: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Herbie's Diner Herbie's Diner by L. Joseph Shosty

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Check out the complete review at Herbie's Diner

It is truly a short read, just some 60 odd pages. The story starts in the middle, where Actor Johnny Hardwood, who is being a detective, is sitting at Herbie's Diner, waiting for a suspect. And then the author takes us on a journey where the action is happening, at the same time, the background is also being described wherever required.

Truly a fun read, especially just a for a couple of hours, as it gets over by then.

View all my reviews

message 34: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) I'll Put 3 Chips On God just in case I'll Put 3 Chips On God just in case by Preeti Gupta

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Check the complete review at I'll Put 3 Chips On God just in case

I read this book immediately after watching Amir Khan starrer PK and found both of them to be very much similar. Preeti has described various mythological beliefs with sounding logical statements which we can relate to as most of us ask the same questions about traditions and religion on a daily basis without receiving any satisfying answers.

Overall an interesting read.

View all my reviews

message 35: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) The Adventures of JoJo Smith The Adventures of JoJo Smith by Tony Leslie Duxbury

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Check out the complete review at
The Adventures of JoJo Smith

This is the story of a normal regular guy who gets transported to the medieval period due to an error by a Gandalf look alike. Now he cannot come back because the Gandalf guy knows only the summons spell and not the go-back spell.

Poor Jojo Smith is stuck in the medieval era and all he can do is try to adjust to the surrounding till Gandalf comes up with the go-back spell.

View all my reviews

message 36: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 403 comments I recommend Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa The Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson

message 37: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Leigh wrote: "I recommend Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini TaylorThe Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie KagawaThe Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson"

I too loved the whole DoSaB series. And I just finished the sequel to The Immortal Rules, great read!

message 38: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 403 comments David wrote: "Leigh wrote: "I recommend Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini TaylorThe Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie KagawaThe Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson"

I too loved the whole DoSaB series. And..."

David, you should give Mark of the Dragonfly a chance. I finished the Blood of Eden series. I was sad to see it end.

message 39: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

David wrote: "Leigh wrote: "I recommend Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini TaylorThe Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie KagawaThe Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson"

I too loved the whole DoSaB series. And..."

YES, agreed!

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) by Rae Carson trilogy is great fantasy, I def recommend that!

message 40: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Leigh wrote: "David wrote: "Leigh wrote: "I recommend Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini TaylorThe Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie KagawaThe Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson"

I too loved the whole DoS..."

Cool, thanks for the rec!

message 42: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Book: Frozen Past by Richard C. Hale Frozen Past
Genre: Murder / Mystery / Thriller / Psychological Thriller / Detective / Crime / Young Adult / YA Romance
Rating: 5 stars
Review: Frozen Past - My Review
An absolutely engaging and engrossing thriller. Once you start, you can't put it down before finishing. Superb climax too

message 43: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Disciple (Book of Immortals, #1) by Kassandra Lynn Disciple
Genre: Fantasy / YA / Romance / Adventure / Thriller
Rating: 3 Star
Review: Disciple (Book of Immortals #1)
A different concept and interesting read

message 44: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Werewolf Nights by Mari Hamill Werewolf Nights
Genre: YA / New Adult / Adventure / Animal / Romantic
Rating: 3 Star
Review: Werewolf Nights
A Werewolf Love story with some adventure

message 45: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) ...Before You Leap (Time Will Tell, #1) by Les Lynam ...Before You Leap
Genre: SciFi / Time Travel / Humor / YA / New Adult
Rating: 5 Star
Review: ...Before You Leap
A very humorous time travel story. Absolutely must read

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 25 comments Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard , Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1) by Sara Raasch , Talon (Talon, #1) by Julie Kagawa , Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes , The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1) by Amber Lough , Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1) by Colleen Houck The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa

I know I have a lot of recommendations, I just love all of these books! Go check them out!

message 48: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) I'm looking for recommendations on fiction with pregnancies! It can be YA, NA or chicklit. Can anyone help me out with a few? :)

message 49: by Shuruq (new)

Shuruq (comash) Irene wrote: "I'm looking for recommendations on fiction with pregnancies! It can be YA, NA or chicklit. Can anyone help me out with a few? :)"

Did you read: Trouble by Non Pratt
Oh, and if you like movies and are able to speak either French or German you can watch "17 filles".

message 50: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) Constanze wrote: "Irene wrote: "I'm looking for recommendations on fiction with pregnancies! It can be YA, NA or chicklit. Can anyone help me out with a few? :)"

Did you read: Trouble by Non Pratt
Oh, and ..."

My friend recommended that book to me, maybe I should lend it the next time I see her! :) Thanks.

I'm not fluent, but I know some German, so I might give the movie a try. Do you know what the title is in German? 17 girls? :)

« previous 1