Play Book Tag discussion

March 2018: Autobiography > The Pursuit of Happyness - Chris Gardner - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Disappointed. That is how I feel about this book. This is one of the few times the movie is much much better than the book. The book did not have the drama of the movie, but then the back story really changes the whole feel good of him becoming a successful wall street trader.

The beginning of the book felt similar to Born A Crime. But then it changes. Gardner had a successful job and career. He was in the medical field making 116 K a year. A couple years of medical school was all that was left. He decides this is not the career for him. He wants more. In my opinion, he wanted the money and prestige of something higher and better than a surgeon. This eventually led to him becoming homeless, and homeless with a son no less. I have no doubt Gardner loves his son, but I do not applaud him putting his son through all that he did. Yes kids are resilient and do not fully understand so his son was fine, but I was not fine with it. I also applaud Gardner for his humanitarian efforts after he became rich and successful.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6423 comments Hmmm, I've not heard of this book, and it sounds very intriguing even though you didn't like it. How unfortunate. Sounds like a good story, poorly related.

Guess I should watch the movie, but I don't like movies either, lol.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Ah. I was really disappointed by the movie so I think I’ll steer clear of the book!