Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe- 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments This was a interesting read. Short and does not go into great depth. I laugh at how fast he taught Friday to speak English.

Not the masterpiece I have always heard of this being. It really could have been triple in size. I didn't feel like I knew Crusoe. I felt like I was watching a news special on a guy lost at sea and then rescued.

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Mar 19, 2018 01:32AM) (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 676 comments Yeah, not the greatest book on the planet! There's something like 50 pages on how to make bread! BUT it's considered as the first novel in English, so there's that!

If you want to read a satire of the book, I dare you to read Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift next! It is, in my opinion, the better one of the two!

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I just realized I listened to the abridged version. No wonder it was so short with no sunstance. Will have to go back and reread this.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6926 comments Jason wrote: "I just realized I listened to the abridged version. No wonder it was so short with no sunstance. Will have to go back and reread this."

Yes, listen to the unabridged version. It is MUCH BETTER ON AUDIO. That said, I enjoyed it when I read it as a kid or teen. However, when I was reading it aloud to my middle daughter I got tired of it (she was enjoying it but wouldn't read it herself), but I listened to it last year and it was much better that way.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I finished the unabridged audiobook. Much better unabridged but also boring at parts. The most interesting part, while searching for the unabridged audiobook, I found this is based on a true story. The life of Alexander Selkirk, though this sometimes argued.

The ending and the bear and the wolves I found silly. Good story though.

Karin, you have me interested in Moll Flanders now.