Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > City of God - Augustine of Hippo - 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments One review I read said "
ok, this is my one brag book. anybody who gets through this (unabridged only), gets to go to heaven, no questions asked."

and I have to say I agree.

This book is long. 40 hrs long on audio.

This was written in the 5th century and is a rebuttal to allegations that Christianity lead to the fall of Rome. Augustine is defending Christianity and showing that the City of God is not the Holy Roman Empire, but the Church or Catholicism.

This is probably the most important piece of work after the bible in determining western religion. I enjoyed a few of the arguments. I also enjoyed seeing the reasoning behind some of the mainstream Christian doctrine, but overall this book is boring, boring, boring.

I would much rather preferred a lecture on the book than reading the book.

message 2: by Cynda (new)

Cynda I read Book One. And never returned to it.
My hat off to you Jason :-)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8524 comments Another Sunday Conversation Topic? What is the book you are most proud of “getting through.”? Do we, and how do we approach tomes?

Jason, my hat is off to you too. Good for you about the centuries challenge you have taken on. I love that about you - that you take on something that interests you, and that follow it through. That your curiosity to know and learn is so passionate and depthful. I hope you are proud of that tremendously wonderful quality.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Amy, you are too kind. Thankyou.

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7007 comments Really, good arguments? I am not a big fan of the "church fathers" due to the history of the church back then and all that went on to establish said standard church doctrine etc, That said, I ploughed through the complete works of Plato last year, so at times I have quite the ability to get through stuff (but I ploughed through it and didn't contemplate it the way I would if I were to actually study it, but outside of one or two of Plato's greatest hits, I have no desire to do that.)

I have considered reading one or two works by the Church fathers, but not this one. I find it ironic that people were blaming the fall of Rome on Christianity when Constantine chose it to be the empire's state religion to try and unite it, but c'est la vie.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Some. not all. His argument against astrology was good. and his argument about when the Arabic writings differed from the Greek septuagant, you have to go back to the arabic because of translation problems. Many at the time we're saying the septuagant was the real bible.

They blamed Christianity because Rome had moved away from their multitude of God's so this was punishment. Other arguments I found to be leaps in reasoning. Making up things that are not in the Scriptures. But now I see the reasoning on how they got there. Augustine also played a large role in converting the first Christian British Ruler.

message 7: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7007 comments Jason wrote: "Some. not all. His argument against astrology was good. and his argument about when the Arabic writings differed from the Greek septuagant, you have to go back to the arabic because of translation ..."

Okay, that second paragraph makes sense, then. )