What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

American Gods (American Gods, #1)
This topic is about American Gods
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED: Mystery set in northern U S town -- Frozen lake [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rochelle | 4 comments The protagonist comes to a small northern town in the US. He picks up a hitch hiker on his way into town. He rents an apartment -- it is unheated and a woman lives next door with a child. They become friends. The hitch hiker disappears. The prot buys a jeep or truck from a teen in the town. It is "home-painted" in purple. There is a frozen lake where the people place an old beater car and bet on when the ice will break, causing the car to fall into the lake. This book was written probably between 2000 and 2017. There is just one store in the town which has groceries and video tapes. (Which would seem to date this book before 2000, doesn't it. )

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
So is the mystery what happened to the hitchhiker?
Series or standalone?
Is there detective/police involved? Or some amateur sleuth?
Author female or male?

message 3: by Aerulan (last edited Mar 18, 2018 11:20PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1225 comments American Gods by Neil Gaiman, that part takes place around chapter 10, give or take a bit.
ETA here's a bit about the car, just in case that helps confirm.
(view spoiler)

Rochelle | 4 comments Rochelle wrote: "The protagonist comes to a small northern town in the US. He picks up a hitch hiker on his way into town. He rents an apartment -- it is unheated and a woman lives next door with a child. They beco..."

SPOILERS !!! There was no detective as the main character, just this man who lived in an unheated apartment. He wasn't a sleuth, just a person who came to live there and met this girl, she probably disappeared and this caused him to start asking questions??? The car on the lake had a different dead body in the car every year. I can't remember, but it may have been the sheriff who was killing the girls and putting them in the trunk and then took bets on when the car would fall in the lake. Okay the other post has solved this -- it was American Gods. I thought it was entire book but it was just that short bit in the book.

Rochelle | 4 comments Aerulan wrote: "American Gods by Neil Gaiman, that part takes place around chapter 10, give or take a bit.
ETA here's a bit about the car, just in case that helps confirm.

It’s an ugly car, like I..."

Thank you!!! I kept thinking it was an entire book, but this is it.

Rochelle | 4 comments SOLVED!!! The book was American Gods.

message 7: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1225 comments Rochelle wrote: "Thank you!!! I kept thinking it was an entire book, but this is it. ..."

You're welcome!