Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Puzzler: 19 March 2018

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1137 comments Howdy Ladies
So I forgot about this series and then realised I hadn't read some of the books from it as well! SHOCK HORROR!
I loved this book especially as the heroine always seems to make the hero unsettled when he is normally ALWAYS in control.
Enjoy!
xxxxxxx

Or perhaps he was steeling his nerve to get a kiss from the schoolteacher, when he really hadn’t the will to do it. Let alone for a mere ten pounds. Mere for him, that was.

Oh, for heaven’s sake. She could stand it no longer. “Well, Lord Hero. You may as well get it over with.”

The smile vanished. “I beg your pardon?”

“You’re going to try to kiss me, aren’t you?”

The marquess froze. His face was an immobile blank for an instant. He parted his mouth. He closed it again. He parted it again. And then gave his head a little shake. “I beg your pardon? Why would you think . . . I beg your pardon?”

She’d made him stammer. “Well, here we are alone. You’ve a reputation for accepting and winning wagers. But I suppose the primary reason I think that is that I heard your friend urge you to do it. Ten pounds, I believe the wager was. Imagine! You could buy the finger of one glove for that amount.”

Such a fascinating play of emotions chased each other across his face. Guilt and comprehension and horror and irritation and an undeniable prurient curiosity and . . . She didn’t expect to like the expression that at last settled in: Good-humored defeat.

“Well, announcing it certainly takes all the fun out of it.”

And there were a number of things she could say. And she knew what she shouldn’t say.

“All of the fun?” She’d said it, anyway. Silence. And then:

“Miss Heroine?” he said carefully.

“Yes?”

“Are you . . . flirting with me?”

“Would it surprise you if I said yes?”

“Well . . .” She was laughing silently at him. “Because I’m plain, and I shouldn’t have such skills at my disposal, and because you’ve only learned one way to play the game, and it involves you applying the charm and the maiden capitulating? Don’t you ever tire of it? Of things always being the same?”

She clasped her hands in front of her, leaning into the question with mock earnestness. He floundered.

“Yes—no! That is, you’re not plain.”

Hero didn’t know whether this last was true or not, but out it had come. And certainly it was the wisest thing to say under the circumstances. Surely if she was a beauty he would have noticed?

“Oh, I know. My complexion is very fine. So I’ve been told. Often enough to believe it.” She was wickedly amused.

Hero was shocked to realize that this chit was toying with him. He took a moment to compose himself. He couldn’t recall the last time he’d needed to compose himself. There was no question that Wanker’s wager had inserted itself in his awareness like a burr. He found Wanker altogether a damned burr.

He’d thought she was quick, which he approved of. She didn’t lack wit. He’d sensed a suppressed energy about her since he’d seen her in the Store, but he’d thought then it had been contained passion for a bonnet. She’d been staring at one as though it were an oracle. He didn’t want to kiss her. Did he? But now this girl thought he was actually feckless. Which was ironic, given that fecklessness was a luxury he’d never known.

And bloody hell, but now he was assessing her complexion and trying to prevent her from noticing that he was doing exactly that. And in the light filtered in through the high windows . . . well, comparisons to pearls would not be inaccurate. She radiated health and luster and . . . life. She did rather glow.

“It isn’t unappealing,” he allowed.

“Oh, now. You needn’t gush.”

He felt the smile begin and then slowly take hold; he couldn’t help himself. “Should I apologize for my species for trotting out the same compliment again and again? Isn’t it better than having none at all?”

“When you hear the same one again and again, it’s difficult not to come to the conclusion that it’s the only thing of note about one’s person.”

She still sounded amused. As if it was all the same to her. He didn’t think he’d ever encountered a more self-possessed female. Then again, doubtless she’d honed her confidence on the characters of unruly young ladies. What challenge would a marquess pose in the face of that?

“Have pity on us. We cannot all of us be poets. We think it’s what women expect to hear, and so we do our duty. Consider the possibility that your admirers are so dumbstruck by the wonder that is your complexion they can see nothing else.”

“Oh, excellent theory! I shall give it due consideration.”

“Your eyes have gone unattended in compliments?”

“Are you about to compliment my eyes, Lord Hero?”

“I wouldn’t dare. You’d find my compliment wanting and I shall feel a fool.”

She smiled at him, thoroughly delighted. Perhaps even a little surprised. He found himself smiling in return, absurdly gratified to have pleased her

message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
A really excellent book in an excellent series.

message 3: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1137 comments Dls wrote: "A really excellent book in an excellent series."

Agreed! I don't know how I missed this one and another one in the series! This one made me feel all the feels!

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1229 comments Don't think I know it but it sounds very interesting. :-)

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 650 comments Mmm never read I don’t think I have. Will wait for the reveal.

message 6: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Great choice! This is another author who has been on my auto-buy list since her first book, and this series is one of my all-time favorite historical series.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 992 comments And it only gets better from here

message 8: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments No clue. I feel like I should know it but, alas, I don't!

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments She sounds feisty! I haven't a clue.

message 10: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1137 comments The book is How the Marquess Was Won by Julie Anne Long
This book made me feel all the feels!!!!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

How the Marquess Was Won (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Julie Anne Long (other topics)