YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived BOM Nominations > August 2014 Book of the Month - POLL UP - A TIE- 2 winners

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Aug 02, 2014 08:53PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments This thread is for nominations for the YA LGBT book that you would like to see the group read in August 2014.

Anything we haven't already read is welcome - it need not be a new release. Check our book-of-the-month bookshelf if you are wondering whether a book has already been read by the group.

Please post a link to the book, copy the blurb, and give us a few words about why you think this would be a good choice. If it has edgy or potentially 16+ content please also note that - we'd be happy to have it on the list, but want members to be aware. Remember that books do have to be appropriate for an under-18 readership.

Books that lost a previous vote can to be nominated again, (and authors are allowed to nominate their own books if they feel moved to do so.)

Nominations will close Midnight July 30th, or sooner if we get twelve books nominated.

Nominations are now closed.

The poll is now posted here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Voting ends midnight Tuesday Aug 5th.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Palund (lindauraglamoura) | 15 comments THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS by Linda Palund https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
The brutal murder of a beautiful girl in a little black dress sparks our teenage heroine’s quest to find the killers. But what was the secret of the little black dress? Why did the gorgeous Carmen wear that dress to school every single day?
Her best friend Lucy is determined to solve the riddle of “the little black dress” as well as solve Carmen’s murder. She risks her life and the lives of her friends in her search to find the savage killers.
The setting is West LA, an area of privilege, where wealth rules under sunny skies.
This is a short novel, but it has everything in it, sex, drugs, gruesome murders and even a ghost.
This is an unusual choice - a crime thriller with a "Law And Order" procedural feel and teenagers fighting for their lives and the lives of their loved ones. An interesting point of view offered by the first person telling from the heroine, Lucy.
The murders are pretty gruesome, so be warned. Possibly 16+ content.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (lokilady) | 364 comments I'd like to suggest a favorite of mine, Hannah Moskowitz' Stonewall Honor Book, Gone, Gone, Gone .

It's a year after 9/11. Sniper shootings throughout the D.C. area have everyone on edge and trying to make sense of these random acts of violence. Meanwhile, Craig and Lio are just trying to make sense of their lives.

Craig's crushing on quiet, distant Lio, and preoccupied with what it meant when Lio kissed him . . . and if he'll do it again . . . and if kissing Lio will help him finally get over his ex-boyfriend, Cody.

Lio feels most alive when he's with Craig. He forgets about his broken family, his dead brother, and the messed up world. But being with Craig means being vulnerable . . . and Lio will have to decide whether love is worth the risk.

This intense, romantic novel from the author of Break and Invincible Summer is a poignant look at what it is to feel needed, connected, and alive.

Craig is a person of color, but that is not a plot point, simply part of his identity.

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments It is good to find books with MCs who are more varied as well. Sounds interesting.

message 5: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments Educating Simon Educating Simon by Robin Reardon by Robin Reardon

Simon Fitzroy-Hunt is English to the core, smarter than most and set on attending Oxford University - his late father's dream. But now his newly-remarried mother is dragging him to Boston, forcing him to leave behind his boyfriend and his beloved cat. Simon's new school seems even more demanding than the one he's left behind, and life gets much more complicated when he is assigned to coach 11-year-old Toby, a transgendered student who has kept his true identity hidden.

I love Robin Reardon's writing, and this with a young trans pre-teen, sounds intriguing.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to submit I am J to the list. I think it's an awesome book for Teens who are trans.

photo Iamj_zpsabe26c11.jpg

message 7: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments I am J
J always felt different. He was certain that eventually everyone would understand who he really was; a boy mistakenly born as a girl. Yet as he grew up, his body began to betray him; eventually J stopped praying to wake up a "real boy" and started covering up his body, keeping himself invisible - from his family, from his friends...from the world. But after being deserted by the best friend he thought would always be by his side, J decides that he's done hiding - it's time to be who he really is. And this time he is determined not to give up, no matter the cost.

An inspiring story of self-discovery, of choosing to stand up for yourself, and of finding your own path - readers will recognize a part of themselves in J's struggle to love his true self.

message 8: by Kaje (last edited Aug 02, 2014 08:53PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments Nominations are now closed.

The poll is now posted here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Voting ends midnight Tuesday Aug 5th.