You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Firebird (Slains, #2)
This topic is about The Firebird
Buddy Reads > The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley

Comments Showing 1-50 of 192 (192 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Peggy and I plan to start reading this one August 1, if anyone would like to join us!

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments Yay! Can't wait!

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Peggy, are you wanting to read at a natural pace, or would it be better if we set up a schedule? What do you think? I'm open, either way.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments I'm more for a natural pace. If I have to read a certain number of pages a day it quickly starts to feel like an obligation and that takes the fun out of reading for me.

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Ok, sounds good.

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18048 comments I'll join in with the discussion when you get going.

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments That's terrific, Sarah! How long ago did you finish?

Tasha I'll join in!

Tasha I just added myself to the hold list for eloan. I've been needing to get to the second one for a while now, this is the perect excuse.

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments That's great Tasha :D Did you read The Winter Sea?

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments Oh, I think our messages crossed!

Tasha hahaha, yes. :)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Yay!! Glad you're joining us, T! :)

Tasha Thanks! :)

message 15: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18048 comments I read it last year. While I don't remember all the details, I still remember the general plot. It was a 5 star read for me.

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments That's great! Should be a fun read.

message 17: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1983 comments I bought a bunch of Susana Kearsley books when they were a Kindle Daily Deal but haven't read them yet. Glad to hear they are so good!

message 18: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments That's where I got mine too Marnie! Will you be joining us with this one?

message 19: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1983 comments I have a bunch of library books that I'm under the gun to get read so books that I own will need to take a back burner for a bit. I will be checking into this thread when I get around to reading these books. Hope it is a wonderful read for you ladies.

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Thanks, Marnie, and I hope you're able to join the discussion whenever, so we can get your thoughts.

message 21: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments Are we all ready?

Friday promises to be a very nice and sunny day here. I'm going to visit my parents in the afternoon, and lie in a hammock in their garden and start the book :D

Tasha I just downloaded in onto my kindle! I'm really excited about this :D

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Ready and excited!! :))

Tasha I'm going to push back Goldfinch to read this one first. You'll have to wait now, L, to see what I think of Goldfinch! lol

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Lol!

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Peggy, that hammock sounds perfect. :)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Has anyone started? I was listening a bit this morning and just got a little ways into chapter two. I do enjoy it, I like the psychometry angle. I like short chapters, I like the writing. So far, so good!

Are we all reading the same edition? I have the trade paperback, which is 539 pp., including the note of thanks at the end.

message 28: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments I'm glad you like it so far! I haven't started yet, but will do so later this afternoon or tonight.

I'm reading an ebook that I bought as a kindle deal, but I don't have any more details.

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments That's right, you both mentioned that earlier in this thread. That's how bad my memory is.

I hope you enjoy the hammock later, Peggy! Sounds perfect. I hope you have a beautiful day to enjoy it there.

Tasha I'll start later tonight. I'd like to finish up my current read before I start. Glad to hear it's starting off well, L!

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments I have a feeling it'll be a good one! Particularly for you, T, as I know you have an interest in Russian history. I have no background there, but hopefully I'll learn a few things from this book.

Tasha I was thinking the same thing. My mom read it and loved it so I'm thinking I will too.

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments I finished the first 3 chapters and I'm enjoying it so far too! Like with the other book it's easy to read and questions are raised from the beginning. I want to write more but I think the spoiler function doesn't work in the app.

Tasha I finished my other book this morning so I'll be starting tonight. I'm glad you are enjoying it too, Peggy!

message 35: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments Okay, so I'm wondering after chapter 3: (view spoiler)

message 36: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18048 comments Peggy (view spoiler)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Through chapter 4:

(view spoiler)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Sarah wrote: "Peggy [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18048 comments Laura (view spoiler)

message 40: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2014 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments I don't know if I would like it. You would know things about people that you maybe don't want to know, or people don't want you to know. I also wouldn't like it if someone could read my past without my permission. I can also see how it could have advantages though, for example in cases of missing people where a bike or some clothing is found.

I don't believe in it though. I need proof to believe (I'm a scientist ;-)) and I don't know if there's much convincing evidence regarding this, based on well-conducted studies. I think I would need someone to actually tell me something about me they couldn't possibly know, or very convincing scientific studies, to give it some credibility.

message 41: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18048 comments I agree with you Peggy. I too look at it more scientifically now which is why my views have changed. I'm also much more cynical now about the people who work in that field.

I'd hate it if someone could just randomly pick up an object in my house and see all the bad or good things that have happened to me relating to that object.

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Yeah, I guess you'd wanna know how to control it, to put up those walls from yourself and for yourself. Otherwise it might make you batty.

Chapter 5:

(view spoiler)

message 43: by Laura (last edited Aug 01, 2014 09:42AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Your point was good too Peggy, it'd be like TMI all the time if you couldn't turn it off - knowing stuff you really don't wanna know about anyone else. Creepy stuff. lol.

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Wanting to see proof is understandable with your science backgrounds, but I think life is more fun when I open my mind to the possibilities. I just think there is much more to everything than what we humans can observe with our senses. I wouldn't be surprised if the trees could communicate with each other, for example. Maybe I really should write that novel, lol, but I just think there is way more to the world around us than we can see, hear, etc.

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Ok,hopefully you don't think I'm batty at this point! :D

Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments Haha, of course not Laura ;-)

And indeed, it would be very useful and necessary to be able to control such a gift if you have it.

I'm curious to read your spoilers, but I started a 73-page chapter of my other book yesterday and didn't finish yet, so 15 more pages and then it's The Firebird only :)

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments Chapter 4: (view spoiler)

message 48: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments Laura, chapter 5: (view spoiler)

message 49: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14411 comments Chapter 6, I'm confused about Rob: (view spoiler)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments To your ch 5 note Peggy - I agree totally. I'm glad she's thrown in modifications, or that would drive the characters and the readers crazy, I think.

« previous 1 3 4