What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Impoverished genteel lady works as cook in a ship and hero plotting revenge against former school classmates (Contemporary)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sammie (new)

Sammie | 5 comments Hi, I read this book not long ago but for the life of me I can't remember. It's about an impoverished genteel lady (not noble, I think she trains debutantes or something) who answers to an ad to work as a cook aboard a ship, but actually she can't cook at all. There she meets the captain, who's plotting a revenge against his former school classmates who look down on him when he was young because he's poor. He's planning to masquerade as someone else because these two classmates are getting married and he wants to seduce the future bride to embarrass the future groom. During the climax he could not go through with it and decides to let go of his vengeance and go after the heroine who has left because she is very hurt by his actions. He chases after her on a boat. The heroine is angry to the extent she puts out signal to coast guards. In the end, they reconcile.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Does "not long ago" mean 6 months? 3 years? 8 years?
Are you sure this is contemporary and not historical?
Remember the cover?

message 3: by Sammie (new)

Sammie | 5 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Does "not long ago" mean 6 months? 3 years? 8 years?
Are you sure this is contemporary and not historical?
Remember the cover?"

I can't remember the cover. But I am very sure it's contemporary, even though my description sounds like historical

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Sammie, are you still looking for this or did you find it?