Archive BBR > August BB: Perfect Peace

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Perfect Peace by Daniel Black
Perfect Peace by Daniel Black

Chosen by Lulu & Marisa

message 2: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
oh I will be peeking lol. I would love to know how the two of you like this book.

Pamela (pamelasreads) Ya'll will really enjoy it...it's an eye-opener!

Beverly | 1078 comments Yes, this was a good book.
While Black has his own storytelling style in some ways he reminds me of J. California Cooper's style.

message 5: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
I can't remember if I read this book with Beverly, Londa or if it was a group read. This wasn't my favorite book, BUT it is a great discussion topic. There will be so many things to discuss within this novel. And it was good storytelling. Black definitely keeps you reading. I can't wait to see your discussions.

Beverly | 1078 comments kisha wrote: "I can't remember if I read this book with Beverly, Londa or if it was a group read. This wasn't my favorite book, BUT it is a great discussion topic. There will be so many things to discuss withi..."

LOL - It was not me - I read it with bookclub when it first came out. While I am not a big fan of Black, Perfect Peace was my fav of the books I have read by him. But, yes very interesting subject and I just love the cover.

message 7: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee | 708 comments I may look-in as well. lol

message 8: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2406 comments Mod
I'm trying to finish up on my other books, but hope to start this one by next week. I've been wanting to read it for a while.

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments kisha wrote: "I can't remember if I read this book with Beverly, Londa or if it was a group read. This wasn't my favorite book, BUT it is a great discussion topic. There will be so many things to discuss withi..."

We did a buddy read kisha. It is a very good discussion book. I am sure you all will have fun with it.

message 10: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hey Marisa! Are you ready to start on this book?

message 11: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lol. I haven't started yet. I'll check back in after I've read a few chapters.

message 12: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's interesting so far. I'm nowhere near chapter 23 though. I'll check back in a couple of days.

message 13: by Mocha Girl (last edited Aug 14, 2014 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mocha Girl (mochagirl) | 35 comments Beverly wrote: "kisha wrote: "I can't remember if I read this book with Beverly, Londa or if it was a group read. This wasn't my favorite book, BUT it is a great discussion topic. There will be so many things to..."

I, too, read this book a while back and it is my favorite of Dr. Black's work. I don't remember too many details, but I recall a lot of symbolism in the names, places, and actions of characters, parallels to Biblical characters and parables, and quite a few Biblical references that were woven into the story. Dr. Black actually joined our club's discussion of the novel and confirmed a lot what we'd already discussed via email prior to the meeting, answered some questions, and provided clarity on a few fuzzy points. I recall a wonderful and rich discussion on the themes presented in the book: gender, sexuality, homophobia, transgenders, friendship, concept of family, etc.

message 14: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Jean Peace!!!! How selfish can one person be???

message 15: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marisa wrote: "I am starting chapter 4. This is crazy! I don't feel bad enough for Emma Jean's past with her mom to condone what she is doing. And Harrietta, that girl got some demons that she going to be dealing..."

No. I don't think Emma Jean went through anything that would cause her to completely ruin the life of another person. She was so selfish in doing what she did. What Henrietta did wasn't all that bad...yes she lied, but I think she probably would have ended up raising her sister's child anyway. And she did try to make it right, but she too was selfish....yet I understand her reasoning.

Now...Chapter 8 and the church scene had me rolling!! I literally laughed out loud! LOL.

I feel so bad for Perfect and the rest of the family. I don't know what's gonna happen and she gets older, but I'm eager to find out.

I'm on Chapter 11, be back after I read a little more.

message 16: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 11 - 21

Again..Emma Jean is just...grrr!! She really makes me angry. How could you be so wrapped up in your world when you have children to take care of and protect?

I love the Peace family as a whole, but that Emma Jean! Whew!! lol

The way she just threw Perfect through a loop, changing him so suddenly to Paul was heart wrenching. Again...Emma Jean not thinking how her selfishness would ruin the lives of those around her.

I'm trying to decide if Emma Jean is worse than Mae Helen...right now they are about neck and neck.

oh...and what is this "truth" that Emma Jean still hasn't faced? Henrietta knows....

message 17: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ok. Marisa! I'm done. Let's discuss!

message 18: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Mae was just looking for love. I don't rely think she cared where it came from. She was happy that Perfect/Paul accepted her as she was. And then as they got older, Paul was in no position to pass judgement. Again that unconditional acceptance was there.

I knew something was up with Mister as well an it turns out that he just wanted that attention and affection that Emma Jean lavished on Perfect/Paul. And perhaps that's why he was so accepting of the transition. He figured Paul would be gay and he'd have someone to relate to.

I love how Emma Jean had to come to terms with what she did. She wasn't able to place blame on anyone else or any other situation. She did this and she had to pay.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Perfect Peace (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Daniel Black (other topics)