Genre Specific Review Groups discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Genre Review Groups > Humour Writing Review Group (Closed)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by L.N. (last edited Mar 26, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

L.N. Denison | 758 comments Mod
In joining this review group you have agreed to review the novels assigned to you on a two month schedule. The sign up phase is over and the review stage is starting.

This is a Humour Writing review group, which will include all types of novels classified as Humour. As with other review groups, you will be expected to read and give an honest review of the book assigned to you. Assignments will be made after the group sign-up has filled.

Participants are expected to post reviews to Goodreads. If the Goodreads review is positive (three stars or higher), the review should be posted to Amazon at the same star level, if the book is available there. This makes having accounts with both Goodreads and Amazon.com a requirement.

This topic will be updated with the list of authors as they sign up with their names and Goodreads links to their books. First come; first serve. This is an authors only peer review group.

THE AUTHORS AND BOOKS ARE:

1 J.B. Trepagnier -Mission: Naughty Horace Mission Naughty Horace (Special Agent Mauve #2) by J.B. Trepagnier

2 Scott Spotson-Alia Tero: The Many Lives of Darren Datita Alia Tero The Many Lives of Darren Datita by Lull Mengesha

3 Nicky Blue-Escape From Samsara: A Dark Comedy Fantasy Adventure Escape From Samsara A Dark Comedy Fantasy Adventure (Prophecy Allocation Book 1) by Nicky Blue

4 K.T. Munson-Unfathomable Chance Unfathomable Chance by K.T. Munson

5 Akhil Sharma-I Am a Failure I Am a Failure by Akhil Sharma

6 John Matsui-Gravity Games Gravity Games by John Matsui

7 Anthony Stancomb-Under a Croatian Sun - From Grey Britain to a Sunny Isle: One Couple's Dream Comes True Under a Croatian Sun - From Grey Britain to a Sunny Isle One Couple's Dream Comes True by Anthony Stancomb

8 Jeffery J. Smith-Perfect Timing Perfect Timing by Jeffery J. Smith

message 3: by L.N. (new)

Welcome aboard, J.B.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments The Many Lives of Darren Datita

Alia Tero: The Many Lives of Darren Datita

message 5: by L.N. (new)

Welcome Scott.

message 6: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) I've read Scott before, but not that book

message 8: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) I've also ready Nicky

message 9: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Munson | 278 comments I’d like to enter with Unfathomable Chance. YA soft sci-fi that is full of comic humor. ☺️

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 10: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Munson | 278 comments I haven’t read Nicky. JB has read me but not this book and I’ve read Scott before.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments Maybe time to send a generic message to all members of this discussion group notifying of sign-up. 1,367 members.

message 12: by L.N. (new)

Yes Scott. I'm on it. Thank you for reminding me.

message 13: by Akhil (new)

Akhil Sharma (akhilsharma) | 8 comments I would like to enter with my humorous non fiction about failure, I AM A FAILURE. I Am a Failure

message 14: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) I'm reading Akhil in another review group

message 15: by John (new)

John Matsui (johnmatsui) | 9 comments I like to enter my foodie thriller Gravity Games. It's got a lot of dark and heavy moments but has continuous threads where readers marked, LOL!
Here's the link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 16: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) I've read John, but not that book. Have I read everyone so far?

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments So far:

J.B. and K.T. have read me.

I've read John.

I have no prior correspondence with Nicky or Akhil.

There's no issue about being unable to substitute a book, if necessary.

message 18: by L.N. (new)

With the Amount of conflicts going on, I am going to have to wait until other people join.

message 19: by L.N. (new)

J.B. wrote: "I've read John, but not that book. Have I read everyone so far?"

Do you want to check if you have?

message 20: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) L.N. wrote: "J.B. wrote: "I've read John, but not that book. Have I read everyone so far?"

Do you want to check if you have?"

OMG, I officially have. Almost everyone, not the books they've put forward, but I'm reviewing that book by Akhil in another group

message 21: by L.N. (new)

J.B. wrote: "L.N. wrote: "J.B. wrote: "I've read John, but not that book. Have I read everyone so far?"

Do you want to check if you have?"

OMG, I officially have. Almost everyone, not the books they've put f..."

Then we do need another one or two bod's then. Just a bit of a waiting game now.

message 22: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Stancomb (anthonystancombgmailcom) | 14 comments I'd like to join. I write travel/memoir/humour.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I've read one of Scott's but this this one.

message 23: by L.N. (new)

Thanks Anthony, I shall add you when I get to a computer.

message 24: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments Hey. Mine is a sci-fi comedy. Re the future--fish out of water. If something like 1984 or Brave New World could be told with humor. Y'all have room for one more? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 25: by L.N. (new)

J.B...have you read the two new names that have appeared. If you haven't I can start sceduling...let me know ASAP.

message 26: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Munson | 278 comments I’ve read Jeffery’s book.

message 27: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) I have no conflicts with Anthony or Jeffrey

message 28: by L.N. (new)

Okay, this is good. I shall be scheduling tomorrow. Apologies for taking so long, work keeps getting the way.

message 29: by L.N. (new)

Apologies for the delay. Work is manic at the moment so I'm going to have to set this up over the weekend...a thousand apologies again.

message 30: by Tom (new)

Tom Sadira (tsadira) Hello!

I'm interested in joining! My book is The Joint of No Return

Warning: I've lost a few beta readers(and a couple editors, but they had it coming) to laughter-induced cardiac arrest. Since then, I'll need a signed waiver and a doctor's note before I can, in good conscience, ask anyone to read my book.

message 31: by L.N. (new)

I can add you. I haven't even started scheduling yet.

message 32: by Tom (new)

Tom Sadira (tsadira) L.N. wrote: "I can add you. I haven't even started scheduling yet."

Thanks!

message 33: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments Wow, you must be busy. Want me to do the scheduling for you?

message 34: by Scott (last edited Apr 04, 2018 10:32AM) (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments First deadline: April 25
Second deadline: May 16

First Round:

Jeffery --> John
John --> Anthony
Scott --> Nicky
KT --> Tom
Nicky --> Akhil
JB --> KT
Anthony --> JB
Akhil --> Jeffery
Tom --> Scott

Second Round

Scott --> Akhil
JB --> Tom
Jeffery --> JB
KT --> Scott
Anthony --> John
John --> Nicky
Akhil --> Anthony
Nicky --> KT
Tom --> Jeffery

message 35: by Scott (last edited Apr 03, 2018 11:46PM) (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments Please get back to me if any problems. L.N. asked me to do this.

message 36: by Nicky (new)

Nicky Blue (itsnickyblue) | 6 comments Thanks Scott i've made a note of that Akhil Sharma and K.T. Munson do you have copies you can send me?

many thanks
Nicky

message 37: by L.N. (new)

Thank you for scheduling for me Scott.

message 38: by Tom (new)

Tom Sadira (tsadira) Thanks!

Since this is my first time doing such things, could someone guide me on the process? (how we swap books, etc)

message 39: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments Tom, you're reviewing me and Jeffery. You should provide your email address to me and Jeffery by clicking on our author profile and finding a tiny arrow upon which, if you hover with your cursor, will be a drop-down menu. Then you will click on the option "send message" which is private. We'll send you our books.

As for the authors reviewing you, KT and JB, they'll contact you with their email address and then you send them your book. (Not to worry, JB and KT are pros and whizzes!)

message 40: by Tom (new)

Tom Sadira (tsadira) Got it! Thanks.

message 41: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) It looks like Jeffrey and I are doing a review swap?

message 42: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) It looks like Jeffrey and I are doing a review swap?

message 43: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments Oops sorry, I'll fix it.

message 44: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments For Round One can JB read KT and Akhil read Jeffery?

Get back to me if any problem with this switch?

message 45: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) Yes, I can read KT. I haven't read that book yet

message 46: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments Okay, I changed the scheduling just for Round One, for only the four people: JB, KT, Akhil, and Jeffrey. No one else is affected. Round Two is not affected at all.

Happy reading!

message 47: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Munson | 278 comments Glad that is all worked out. ☺️ I do have a question - is there a reason the due dates aren’t a month long? In other groups we normally have 30 days but this is only 3 weeks. Can this be moved back to 30 days or even 4 weeks? (May 2 and May 30)

message 48: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 272 comments KT, you also enjoy the Review Groups family, where deadlines are three weeks. If this schedule is a bit tight, you can request additional time if you ask. Thanks!

I notice in other review groups many authors finish all four rounds by the halfway point, and a book every three weeks isn't that bad (unless it's a 1,000 page tome like from Stephen King or George RR Martin).

message 49: by K.T. (new)

K.T. Munson | 278 comments I have both of my books.

message 50: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Stancomb (anthonystancombgmailcom) | 14 comments John, I've just put Gravity Games onto my kindle - look forward to reading it

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.