Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Fantasy/Sci-Fi > Ender's Game

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan (dand) Ender's Game has to be one of the best YA science fiction books of all time. I've read it at least 4 times and love it every time. I first read it when I was 8 or 9 and more recently last year.
The Ender's Shadow Series is good too.

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) Love Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow!! Probably two of my all time favorite books.

I just wish Card would have continued the series as "kids in space". Speaker for the Dead is a good sci-fi book, but I feel like it wasn't a good follow up to Ender's Game. And I thought Shadow of the Hegemon was just so boring!!

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan (dand) I never read the rest of the of the Ender Saga, books like Speaker for the Dead. I heard they were disappointing so I didn't bother.
I did read Ender in Exile which was fair. I think it was mainly written because so many people love Ender and Card knew that people would buy the book just because of that.
I plan on reading First Meetings in Ender's Universe which I hope to be good.

message 4: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey (chelseyblair) | 5 comments I love Ender's Game. The first few "Shadow" books are good too, but I really wish he had just stopped to be honest.

Still, nothing beats the first book.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy I've read all of the books in the Ender series and really enjoyed them. My brother made me read Ender's game and I agree, by far, it was the best of the series. But I also enjoyed the adult perspective of Ender and how everything he was made to do as a child shaped (or somehow destroyed) his character.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Dan you read Ender's Game as a child? I read it as an adult and was knocked off-kilter by how intense it is. I've been meaning to re-read it (and read the second, and stop there); I guess I'll have to do so soon!

message 7: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Dan wrote: "I never read the rest of the of the Ender Saga, books like Speaker for the Dead. I heard they were disappointing so I didn't bother.
I did read Ender in Exile which was fair. I think..."

I also read Ender's Game...followed by Ender in Exile and loved them both...skipped the ones in between, but plan on reading the shortA War of Gifts.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy The ones in between were just as good as the first. It was interesting seeing the characters develop.

message 9: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad I too was forced by my brother to read Ender's Game, and am still hugely grateful to him for it! I remember the impact it had on me when I first read it, and every time since; its one of the very few books I return to over and over, despite the fact that it always gives me a weird sense of heartache afterwards (a common feature, it seems, of all the Ender books!) It's also one of the few books I'd recommend to pretty much anyone, probably in an annoyingly overenthusiastic way.. :)

Also major love for the entire Shadow series, plus Ender in Exile and First Meetings (read it if you haven't already; Ender's parents are surprisingly awesome!)

I hesitated for ages before reading Speaker for the Dead, worried it would ruin Ender for me,but this wasn't the case. It was actually really great, just a very, very different book from EG. Less action, more of OSC's deep development of characters and human relationships, but I still loved Ender himself :)

Still wondering whether to read Children of the Mind and Xenocide or not, especially with a new book on the way which will link the Ender series with the Shadow books again! Hmm..