Great African Reads discussion

Read Across Africa Challenge > Verenas literarische Reise - Verena's literary trek

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Verena (new)

Verena Annette | 10 comments Hallo!
I will be trekking West to East, hoping to finish six book within this year.
My planned itinerary:
The Gambia
Senegal
Mali
Niger
Chad
Sudan

This is my first time participating in this group or any group on goodreads, hopefully I won't make mistakes.

message 2: by Verena (new)

Verena Annette | 10 comments My first book will be "Reading the Ceiling" by Dayo Forster.
So far no progress as I've only just ordered the book ...

message 3: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 773 comments Mod
Verena wrote: "Hallo!
I will be trekking West to East, hoping to finish six book within this year.
My planned itinerary:
The Gambia
Senegal
Mali
Niger
Chad
Sudan

This is my first time participating in this group..."

Have fun on your trip! And don't worry, as long as you are reading the books you feel like reading, there can be no mistakes, as I see it!

message 4: by Diane , Head Librarian (new)

Diane  | 479 comments Mod
Enjoy your journey, Verena!

message 5: by Verena (new)

Verena Annette | 10 comments Thank you! :)

message 6: by Verena (new)

Verena Annette | 10 comments To start my journey, I read the entry for the Gambia, Reading the Ceiling by Dayo Forster.

My review:
Not a bad book, not a really good book either.
I picked it up, to get an insight into the life in the Gambia, where part of this story takes place. That curiosity was satisfied.
The story itself is split into three plot lines - Ayodele decides, she wants to loose her virginity. She makes a list of men and the book tells three ways in which her life unfolds after choosing one of the guys. This idea of course isn't new or revolutionary, but it is entertaining enough. After each of the three decision we visit her life in little stop-overs, giving us an idea how her life evolved or stagnated.
I will mention what others have mentioned here in other reviews too: This is a first time novel. You can tell. It is good, but grows a lot better by the end of the book!
A good editor could have helped here, I think.
Now that Dayo Forster has found her literary voice, I would love to read more from her.

message 7: by Verena (last edited May 04, 2018 05:42AM) (new)

Verena Annette | 10 comments Just today I started with my book for Senegal, but before that, I'll try my hand at the points:

5 Points for reading "Reading the Ceiling".
I'll go for 6 additional points by including a photo of the tourist attraction:

Kunta Kinteh Island, Senegal/><br /><br />Kunta Kinteh Island is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. An Island within the river Gambia, it was taken into the World Heritage list because of its historical significance in the Westafrican slave trade.<br /><br />Going forward, I have 11 points and I'm on my way ...

message 8: by Verena (new)

Verena Annette | 10 comments I will fix the image error and add the points, but this is just a quick review of the book I just finished - what a read!
After a bit of a lukewarm read with the first book, this book really gripped me in the best way!
The review I just posted I will copy&paste here, and then unfortunately, I have to go off to bed as it's late and I have to be up very early tomorrow ...

message 9: by Verena (new)

Verena Annette | 10 comments Entry for Senegal,
Marie NDiaye, Three Strong Women
My review:
[All the stars, I absolutely loved this book although he stories aren't always uplifting.]

Three chapters, three strong women.
The first chapter tells the story of Norah who travels to Senegal to meet her father who had deserted her mother and sister when she was a small child, taking with him their brother. The brother is now in prison and the father, unable to deal with any conflict, had lured Norah to Senegal from her home in France, to take care of her brother.
The second chapter is the story of Fanta written from the perspective of her partner Rudy. They live in France, Fanta had come from Senegal there with hopes to work as a teacher. That didn't work out and the relationship of Fanta and Rudy takes on its own dynamic.
The third and last chapter tells of Khady. Khady was married to a kind man, all her hopes, dreams and energy went into her wish for a baby with him. Then the husband suddenly died and his family sends her away, to travel to Europe so that she can send back money to them ... if she makes it.
All three stories are very engaging, dense, a deep dive into the characters.
Although all three stories are hard to read, especially the last one will haunt me (!!), never the less, this book was wonderfully written.
The overall theme is women who are by circumstances forced to be strong, showing their full strength in great adversary and handling the situationes best as they can. Which is both inspiring and heartbreaking when things take turns for the worse. These stories also tell how women still are expected without even communicating it, to take the fall for bad dicisions men had made, or trying to even out the consequences of men's actions.
NDiaye is a true talent, I am delighted to get to know this marvelous writer! She not only has an ear, an eye and a heart for stories, but she also has the ability to build emotional stories and characters that grip you right away.
I highly recommend this book!!

message 10: by Verena (new)

Verena Annette | 10 comments Ok, if anybody reads this and knows wants going wrong with my picture links, any suggestion would be very appreciated ... I'm out of my wits ....

message 11: by Diane , Head Librarian (new)

Diane  | 479 comments Mod
Verena wrote: "Ok, if anybody reads this and knows wants going wrong with my picture links, any suggestion would be very appreciated ... I'm out of my wits ...."

It took me a long time to figure them out myself, but here is the easiest way to insert them:

1. Copy the link of the picture's url
2. Paste the url into your post
3. Click on the link above the post box that says "(some html is ok)"
4. Go down to the 5th bullet (image)
5. Copy < img src=" and paste it in front of your image url
6. Copy "/> and paste it to the end of the image url
7. Save your post

Basically, you are just adding < img src=" to the front of your url and "/> to the end of your url. (just copy it as it is shown in the bullet - don't leave out the space between the < and the i as I did - I had to do that so it wouldn't come across as "image error")

message 12: by Verena (new)

Verena Annette | 10 comments Thank you Diane!!! Thank you so much!!
<3