Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Still Me (Me Before You, #3)
This topic is about Still Me
Archives > Still Me, by Jojo Moyes

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Mar 18, 2018 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
"Louisa Clark arrives in New York ready to start a new life, confident that she can embrace this new adventure and keep her relationship with Ambulance Sam alive across several thousand miles. She steps into the world of the superrich, working for Leonard Gopnik and his much younger second wife, Agnes. Lou is determined to get the most out of the experience and throws herself into her new job and New York life.

As she begins to mix in New York high society, Lou meets Joshua Ryan, a man who brings with him a whisper of her past. Before long, Lou finds herself torn between Fifth Avenue where she works and the treasure-filled vintage clothing store where she actually feels at home. And when matters come to a head, she has to ask herself: Who is Louisa Clark? And how do you reconcile a heart that lives in two places?

Funny, romantic, and poignant, Still Me follows Lou as she navigates how to stay true to herself, while pushing to live boldly in her brave new world.

I'm reading this one for week 21, written in first person perspective. I wasn't too impressed with the second book, After You, so I honestly didn't have high hopes for this one. I actually even forgot most of book 2 to the point that when main characters were referenced, I had to resort to Google.

But Moyes has really captured a lot of the magic of Me Before You with this one. I only have about a third of the book left and am hoping to finish today.

This may be the first time in a book that I became truly defensive of a character when (view spoiler)

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Finished!

Moyes definitely managed to capture the magic of the original and I loved the character of Margot. It helps that I'm a dog lover.

After reading the second one I definitely would have said it was pointless to expand upon the first book but I really wouldn't mind continuing Louisa's story at this point.

Sydney (sjpaugh19) | 19 comments I loved this book! I have been a fan of all three of the books in this series, but I think this one was my favorite. It's such a pleasure to see Louisa grow and change throughout the series and to finally find meaning and a trajectory for her life.

It was great to have the callbacks to Lily and the Traynor family, and I of course really enjoyed all things Sam. I hope that After You and Still Me get movie adaptations as well.. I thoroughly enjoyed Emilia Clarke's rendition of Louisa, and I would love to see the events in After You and Still Me on the big screen.

I read Still Me for week 52 of the challenge, a book published in 2018. It was the first new book of 2018 that I read, and I just can't get over it. Something about Moyes' stories stay with you and in your head, and I was thoroughly invested throughout. I particularly enjoyed Lou's crusade to save the library. Great book.

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I just finished this book, and I loved it! Me Before You is still my favourite and I honestly didn't think it needed any sequels, but Louisa Clark has quickly become one of my fictional characters so that was enough to keep my interest in reading this.

I liked After You, but I thought this one was much better and definitely captured the spirit of the first book much better. I really love Jojo Moyes' writing style, and her characters are amazing. There was one patch where I thought the story got a tiny bit slow, but it quickly turned back around for a very strong ending. I'm so glad I read this!

message 5: by MN (new) - rated it 2 stars

MN (mnfife) | 186 comments I read this for the 2019 topic: a book from the GR Choice awards. I'm afraid I was disappointed. I found the novel baggy, undisciplined, with need of some severe editing. This is a pity as there are some wonderful characters - Mrs De Witt, as someone has already mentioned, for example; and some undeveloped characters with great potential. However, Louisa, her family and most of the men were plain exasperating!