Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > I'll Be Your Blue Sky by Marisa de los Santos -- 4 stars + ♥

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7698 comments I'll Be Your Blue Sky by Marisa de los Santos
4 stars + ♥

I adore Marisa de los Santos. Ever since I read and fell in love with Love Walked In, I have eagerly awaited each of her subsequent books. I'll Be Your Blue Sky may be my favorite so far.

Claire Hobbs is getting married tomorrow. She is surrounded by her family and friends. She is the center of her fiancee's attention. She is having second thoughts. She finds solace in a complete stranger, and old woman, Edith, who she stumbles upon in the garden and it seems like Claire has known her forever. Claire bolts, then learns that the old woman has died and left Claire a house by the ocean, Blue Sky House. Claire retreats there to get her life back in order and stumbled upon a mystery that she vows to solve along with her best friend Dev.

First and foremost, I love the characters. I loved seeing some of the same characters as Love Walked In and You Belong to Me, but now about 10 years later. I really liked Claire (for the most part), and the parts about Edith's past were gems.

I also adore de los Santos's writing. She has a gift, that is for sure! It is so easy to fall in to and she paints such vivid pictures without being overly flowery.

And there is no way I wasn't going to love the story. A multi-generational mystery? The story of Claire and Dev's gumshoe sleuthing interspersed with chapters about Edith's past? Throw in a truly compelling premise to the mystery that I need to research, but I truly hope was based on fact. Oh, and maybe add in a big, sprawling, supportive family and a potential romance and that all adds up to a win in my book.

So, what didn't I like?

Claire's decision about her marriage. Not so much her decision to call it off, but her decision to say yes in the first place. Yes, I realize that there are so many women in her situation, who marry people who are not right for them, who may have flashes of violence, because they want to help that person, they think they are the only one who can. I don't personally connect to that view point. In fact, while I can have sympathy (though it is a struggle for me), it infuriates me. Claire was an idiot.

The mystery storyline got bogged down a bit at the end with so many twists and so many people and so many dual identities. You know it is bad when you need a character to say, "Wait, I am confused? Can someone explain this to me slowly" as a plot to explain it to the reader.

And finally, there were a LOT of far-fetched assumptions and guesses, a lot of insane coincidences, and it took a final shocking plot twist in the last chapter to make the pieces all fit. It wasn't high on my list of irritations, I just rolled with it because I loved the journey so much, but all added up together it is like a nagging itch that I just can't get over.

But, even those few negative aspects cannot bring this book down too much. I still loved it, I still compulsively listened to it, I still will be eagerly awaiting what de los Santos comes out with next.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments I responded on the general feed. But just to say that I really appreciated your review and I really look forward to reading the book. Well done.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7698 comments I think you will really enjoy it Amy! If nothing else, it is a very engaging story.

message 4: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Can't wait. Moving up the library queue slowly.

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments I gave Love Walked In 3 stars so I’m not sure I’ll continue on with the series. I’ve already given away my copy to make more room for my physical books. I think I have the second book on my kindle and will try a chapter or so later.

message 6: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6920 comments I just double checked and I have given all of her books 4 stars except one at 3 stars, so I have added this to my tbr. See, there are some romance authors I do like. Sure, some of her stuff is far fetched and she can be a bit redundant, but there is something about her writing I like. The problem is I have forgotten most of the first 2 books.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments This one’s a triquel? I can barely remember the first two, and I remember not knowing that the second was connected to the first. The second I read when I first started reviewing books so that has to be about 15 to 17 years ago. But if I know myself I’ll love it anyway.

In one of them, There was maybe cancer and a remarriage? Possibly to the wife’s best friend or to half of the couple next-door? They were children involved. Or maybe the woman that stepped into the dead woman’s life happened to work in a bar or restaurant? Definitely a step daughter or stepdaughter to be. That’s all I think I remember. I believe I cried at the end. But there were two of these? I guess I’ll find out when I read the third.

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7698 comments Karin, you Donny really need to remember too much about the first two. She gives little recaps.

And this is definitely not a romance book,if that eases your mind. There is love involved, but the relationship is far from the central element and really just hangs in the background.

message 9: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7698 comments Typo above. Don’t* sorry!

message 10: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7698 comments Amy, they really can be read as stand alones. I don’t remember too much of the first two either.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments Gosh darn then if you don’t remember, youyou won’t be able to tell me if my mental recaps were at all close to the mark!

message 12: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Love Walked in Was published in 2005, it was her first novel.

Some of my review, written back then:

Cornelia Brown is a tiny sprite of a woman who loves old classic movies; in particular The Philadelphia Story. When Martin Grace walks into her coffee shop one day, looking so much like Cary Grant it’s unbelievable, Cornelia goes out with him and begins to fall in love. What she doesn’t know is that Martin has a few secrets he has yet to share, and when one is revealed to be is eleven year old daughter, Clare, Cornelia begins a journey that changes her entire life.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments That I now remember! The restaurant, the coffee shop and the daughter she comes to love. So does the best friend and the cancer happen in You Belong To Me, or am I conflating that with another similar tale?

2005? I would have thought earlier, because that is only 13/14 years ago. Love Walked in and the Sequel to the Lollipop Child, now renamed the Girl With no Shoes, sequel to Chocolate, we’re my first two reviews ever, and I had them on Linked In. For years before they shifted me to Shelfari. Maybe I only having been writing reviews that long. I thought it was longer.