Beta Reader Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lillian (new)

Lillian O'Leary | 3 comments I am a passionate teenager reader and I have some free time on my hands to read some new books that I will definitely never read before.

I will give my honest opinion on your book and how I like/think you could improve certain scenes if you are aiming for an audience near my age range (of course I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but it should be a helpful guide at least) . I am not as much of an avid reader as I have been, but I can still enjoy a solid book. If you ask me questions, I will answer them as best as I can and give reasons for my answer.

My preferred use of editing is google docs. I may be a bit slow reading, as reading off a computer isn't my prefered method, but I'll get around to it.

I will simply be reading it through, perhaps occasionally giving my input on certain, specific bits and sometimes offering a word change or two, but otherwise, I'll just see if I will enjoy it for the book :)

If you want some perspective from a 16 year old girl, then just reply with the synopsis.

Thank you,
Lily

message 2: by Randy (new)

Randy Smith | 68 comments Hello Lily, I wonder if perhaps you might like to read my book.

Mike’s walking with his girlfriend, Violet, when he experiences a fall and awakens in a world where magic is real. He befriends a young woman as he works to reach Violet whom he believes to be there also. Unfortunately, as he’s comforting this new friend after her puppy has been killed, Violet pops in and reacts poorly. In a jealous, magical rage, she transforms Mike into Michelle before she disappears to join her fellow, soon to be world dominators.
This is when Mike, now Michelle, learns Violet was summoned here; her previously unknown magical abilities trained and enhanced by renegade mages to help them with their plans. They want to take over this world and many more that are connected via unseen doorways. He joins the quest to stop those mages in the hope that he can find Violet, get her to restore his male self and to stop the coming war. He soon realizes that this is no fairy-tale; magic is not fun, it’s deadly.
When Michelle embarks on this quest, she’s joined by her new friend who feels responsible for her transformation. As Michelle realizes her female friend is falling in love with her, she struggles with feelings of her own; she’s falling in love with her friend.
Perhaps returning to her home world as a male is not quite as important as she first thought. If she can survive, save this world, and the connected worlds, maybe she can embrace love… wherever she finds it.
If you think you might be able to read it and offer any opinions, please let me know, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.
Thanks, Randy

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily Thompson | 1 comments Hello, Lily.

You sound like exactly the person I'd like to read my new book. It's a YA, super-meta Sci-fi, with a female protagonist around your age. Theo (short for Theodora) is obsessed with a sci-fi novel about thieves who travel into other stories to steal treasures. The only thing she doesn't like about the book is the ending, where all of her favorite characters die. She works out how to physically travel into her favorite book to save them, but once she gets there the main characters don't instantly trust her or even want to be her friends, as she'd assumed. Now she's got to work extra hard to save them, and win their friendship. Meanwhile, her parents find out that their daughter fell into a book, and have their own adventure trying to get her back.

It's a fun, fast read (or, it's supposed to be), 86,000 words, and I hope it would appeal to fans of all sorts of sci-fi and fantasy. Like I said, it's a book about a book, so it's really meta and I'm going for self-aware and sarcastic as well.

I've written plenty of novels for general audiences, all sci-fi, fantasy, or steampunk, but this is my first attempt at YA. I haven't been a teenager for almost 20 years, so I'd love to have someone your age tell me how it sounds.

Please let me know if you're up for it, by emailing me at info@clockworktwist.com

Thank you.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Pascual | 1 comments Hi Lily,

I'm looking for a reader for my YA contemporary fantasy, it's sort of a retelling of Alice in Wonderland meets Neverwhere. The main character is a 16-17 year old girl who has a bad reputation and she's at a point where's she starting to believe what other people say about her. The novel is about 84,000 words and I'd be happy to provide a couple of chapters if you'd like to get a feel for the book.

Here is the pitch/synopsis:

Fiery, ADHD CeeCee is always in trouble, whether she’s actually done anything or not. After a bad day at school she makes a wrong move and gets trapped in an alley world, hidden in the cracks of her city. There she discovers a magical, terrifying place that sometimes holds onto the people who stumble in, and she attracts the attention of the sinister Doc M, who has plans for her of his own. Meanwhile there are turbulent forces at work, ones that threaten to tear the alley society apart with CeeCee caught in the crossfire. With the help of her new friend Jesse, she’s got to stay ahead of those chasing her and figure out where she belongs or risk becoming trapped forever.

Please email me if you're interested at mpascual@mindspring.com. I hope to hear from you and it's great that you're willing to read for people!

Thank you. - Mary

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Chai | 4 comments Lillian wrote: "I am a passionate teenager reader and I have some free time on my hands to read some new books that I will definitely never read before.

I will give my honest opinion on your book and how I like/..."

Hi Lily, I am writing a YA romantic comedy with a target audience of smart girls who know a lot about books. Based on Cyrano de Bergerac, except the GIRL is the smart ugly one who gets the man. Synopsis: Using only her words, comically ugly, Austen-obsessed “Bluestocking” teen Serena Berger must win the heart of an aloof, intellectual hunk for her beautiful best friend--without falling in love.

message 6: by Goodness (new)

Goodness Nwankpa (goodnessnwankpa) | 43 comments Hi Lily,

My story is a YA, with a 60k word count. A warning: it deals with sensitive topics and can get dark at times.

Synopsis:

Fourteen year old Alina thought that above all, she could trust Gaten. He’s been her rock since tragedy befell her three long years ago. But one day, she finds a letter; a letter is all it takes for Alina’s world to once again dismantle before her eyes. And suddenly, she’s thrown into doubt about the one individual she believed that she could rely on. In a desperate bid for answers, Alina decides to take matters into her own hands. The life altering consequences are ones that she did not anticipate.

Thank you for your time.

message 7: by Goodness (new)

Goodness Nwankpa (goodnessnwankpa) | 43 comments Hi Lily,

My story is a YA, with a 60k word count. A warning: it deals with sensitive topics and can get dark at times.

Synopsis:

Fourteen year old Alina thought that above all, she could trust Gaten. He’s been her rock since tragedy befell her three long years ago. But one day, she finds a letter; a letter is all it takes for Alina’s world to once again dismantle before her eyes. And suddenly, she’s thrown into doubt about the one individual she believed that she could rely on. In a desperate bid for answers, Alina decides to take matters into her own hands. The life altering consequences are ones that she did not anticipate.

Thank you for your time.

message 8: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso Meade | 3 comments Hello Lily!

Wow, seven requests already. I never imagined writers competed for beta readers.

A little info about my request:

1. It’s my first novel. I’ve dedicated around 4 years to make the story, going from different POV’s characters, ages, settings, plots, etc etc. And I would love to hear a lot of varied opinions, yours included :D In my view, its nifty.

2. Its written in english and it hasn’t gone through a professional editor. I’ve read it extensively.

3. The story is about how a teacher in a magic school, Ethan Curtley, ended up blowing the world. You know this from the get-go, but the fun part is in how he got there. Across his adventures Ethan gets involved with mercenaries, assassins, bankers, nobles, envious family members, abussive and fraudulent bosses, talking shadows and the gods themselves (some want to kill him, others might see him as a tool, the rest are indiferent). From start to finish, Ethan sees the fall of storied corporations and renowned families. At the same time he participates in the rise of new deities and organizations. And even if he is the protagonist, at times he’ll recognize that he’s the sidekick, because rarely do we achieve something alone. All along the ride, Ethan is in search of a place to belong and those that will make it home.

4. The story develops in a fantasy world, with magic and what I hope are creative and diverse creatures, characters and environments. If you like these sort of elements, this manuscript might be interesting for you.

If you’re interested, please feel free to send me a pm! From there we can establish more enduring communications over google docs (also my prefered method to communicate for this).

Thanks for considering it!
Alfonso

message 9: by Serena (last edited Mar 28, 2018 02:39PM) (new)

Serena (sacronin) | 8 comments Hi Lily,

I'd love to get some feedback on my YA dystopian novel. It's at roughly 97k words. The main characters are around your age, so I think you'd be a good fit for beta reading!

Synopsis:

Fifteen-year-old Seven wakes up in his new life with heavy dread in his stomach: his friends’ memory of him is wiped, the government carts him off to the deplorable Split City he must now call home, and the weight of dying a fourth time and inching closer to his final, seventh life lingers in the back of his head. Plucked off the streets by seventh-life Andi and her gang of thief friends, Seven begins to adjust to a world of heists, run-ins with local cops, and the constant evading of notorious gang-leader Victor, who is hell-bent on chasing the rumors that one can steal lives in order to live forever. When Victor’s deluded hunt becomes deadly, Seven must come to terms with the cost of getting tangled in the lives of his new friends, especially that of Andi, who has been Victor’s prime target for months. With the clock ticking on his final lives, Seven learns the extent he is willing to go to protect the people who once protected him while discovering the truth about the life-stealing rumors of the notorious multiple-lives system.

PM me if you're interested! Thanks!

Best,
Serena

message 10: by Bekah (new)

Bekah | 5 comments Hello, Lilly!

You sound like the perfect audience for my YA novel! I'm on my second round of revisions, so I'm looking for feedback on plot, characters, and pacing. It clocks in around 85k words, so I can google doc share the whole thing or just chapters at a time. I would love to have you as a reader!

A brief synopsis:
When seventeen-year-old Eleanor Sparks finds herself homeless, jobless, and friendless after graduation, she is faced with two options: go with her parents to nowheresville, Ohio, and live with the knowledge that she’ll never live up to their expectations, or move into a tiny, brightly painted home called the Bungalow with her older sister, Evelyn, and her assorted mix of friends. Armed with her beloved typewriter and a curious mind, Eleanor spends the summer of 1969 navigating the changing culture as she develops friendships with hippy musicians Joyce and Ricco, charming rugby player Kurt, not-so-bookish-as-she-once-thought Evelyn, and mysterious, handsome Charlie. But when Evelyn suddenly disappears, she leaves a gaping hole in the group-- one that the friends are determined a cross-country roadtrip in a Volkswagon bus will fix.

PM me if you are interested!

Bekah