Play Book Tag discussion

The Complete Persepolis (Persepolis, #1-4)
This topic is about The Complete Persepolis
March 2018: Autobiography > The Complete Persepolis/ Marjane Satrapi / 4.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynda (last edited Mar 19, 2018 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cynda I have received something an education just by reading this book. I had long wondered what the experience of families who sought to protect their religious and political rights during the time of Islamic backlash.
Impressive use of the graphic format, allowing the family history to be told in a succinct way, including the barebones information needed to understand Marjane and her family's political and social leanings and the sacrifices they made to protect their previous way of life.
The vignettes could be hilarious. Teenaged Marjane is running to catch the bus as she has a dental appointment she needs to keep. Two police officers in a car call out to her to stop running. When she asks why, they tell her that her backside is too distracting. She in turn yells at the two men cops, telling them to then not to look--and returns to running for the bus.
The vignettes could be direct. When Marjane tells her grandmother how Marjane misdirected police attention from herself and her makeup to some innocent man, a bystander, claiming her had disrespected her, the grandmother is not impressed. The grandmother reminds Marjane that such behavior is unbecoming to a member of family who has sacrificed so much during these difficult times.
I like how human, beautiful, fallible Marjane shows herself as being. She also shows her hard-bought wisdom.
So why 4 Stars and not 5? I would have liked more information. The book is published by a US publication house: Partheon Books, so the graphic autobiography is intended for a US American readership first. This worldview/slant of the writer and her family's experience is something not commonly known to us before. Some additional information so would have been just extra helpful--a timeline, some background information in an appendix or appendices--at least a website or two.
Be Well Marjane.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6305 comments I really wanted to read this book this month, but annoyingly it doesn't come in an ereader version, and I was a bit reluctant to purchase it. It sounds very good. Did you borrow it from the library? I need to track down a used copy or something, but I'm on a (paper) book buying ban right now because I'm going to move . . .

message 3: by Cynda (last edited Mar 19, 2018 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cynda Yes, that is a good reason :-) Moving inside or outside of Delaware?
And yes, I did borrow it from the local library. I love our group.
Because we have a wide selection of books to chose from, I am able to easily find books from the library to fulfill our tag challenges.
Now that I am mostly retired, I am grateful for the library.

message 4: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Anita - this is considered a classic in the graphic novel world as it is non superhero, written by a woman. One the the ones that started the trend of adults reading graphic novels again. I suspect your library would have a copy. See if your library subscribes to Hoopla. I’ve found that service has a ton of graphic novels.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6305 comments JoLene wrote: "Anita - this is considered a classic in the graphic novel world as it is non superhero, written by a woman. One the the ones that started the trend of adults reading graphic novels again. I suspect..."

I'm soooo lazy that I don't want to go to the library, but that's clearly the answer, lol. I've gotten very spoiled by Overdrive!

Cynda, I live in Maryland and will be moving downtown from the suburbs. It's a major downsizing . . .hence the need to not own physical books!

Cynda Anita wrote: "JoLene wrote: "Anita - this is considered a classic in the graphic novel world as it is non superhero, written by a woman. One the the ones that started the trend of adults reading graphic novels a..."

Oh. Yeah, now I remember.
Yes, often a definite downsize when people move closer to downtown. I hope this move helps you--things like closer to work, errands, friends and family. And maybe a library. . . .

Cynda JoLene wrote: "Anita - this is considered a classic in the graphic novel world as it is non superhero, written by a woman. One the the ones that started the trend of adults reading graphic novels again. I suspect..."

My library has started using Hoopla. That is good to know Jolene :-)

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6305 comments Cynda wrote: "Anita wrote: "JoLene wrote: "Anita - this is considered a classic in the graphic novel world as it is non superhero, written by a woman. One the the ones that started the trend of adults reading gr..."

I was just thinking that I should check where the closest downtown library is - - maybe it's better than the one I have now which isn't particularly convenient!

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6305 comments Oh, looks like a 0.6 mile walk so much more reasonable and something I'd be more likely to do (I like walking and jogging).

message 10: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Anita - see if your library uses Hoopla. It’s similar to Overdrive, but has expanded content - lots of graphic novels, TV and movies ( OK, not your fav things....but also books, audio).

My library subscribes to both.

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments Anita - I don't generally like graphic novels but this one is fantastic and if you're going to like any, this might be the type you would like.

Personally, I don't think graphic novels are great on ereaders and much better to read in print. I can mail you a copy if you can't get it from your library. I have an extra copy that I have put out in our Little Free library.

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6305 comments JoLene wrote: "Anita - see if your library uses Hoopla. It’s similar to Overdrive, but has expanded content - lots of graphic novels, TV and movies ( OK, not your fav things....but also books, audio).

My library..."

I will double check, but I don't think so . . .

message 13: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8139 comments Anita wrote: "I'm soooo lazy that I don't want to go to the library, but that's clearly the answer, lol. I've gotten very spoiled by Overdrive!.."

Despite my love for my Kobo, I still always get a print copy (usually from the library) for graphic novels). I guess part of that is that mine is only the 2nd generation Kobo, so no colour and fairly small, so the print is always nicer for me.

message 14: by LibraryCin (last edited Mar 19, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8139 comments JoLene wrote: "Anita - see if your library uses Hoopla. It’s similar to Overdrive, but has expanded content - lots of graphic novels, TV and movies ( OK, not your fav things....but also books, audio)...."

This is good to know about the graphic novels. My library has had Hoolpa for a while, but you need a "device" (i.e. tablet or smartphone) to use it. Or, I've "checked out" music to listen to on my PC. It doesn't work with my old-style Kobo, though, so I've rarely used it.

I suppose, thinking about it, I could now use my tablet with it. I didn't have one when my library originally got Hoopla, so it wasn't an option then. (Although my tablet is heavier so not as nice to carry around, nor to hold up to read, but I have done it on rare occasions.)

message 15: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8139 comments Oh! And I gave this 5 stars, I believe, when I read it! Good points, though, Cynda, for keeping it at 4. :-)

Actually, I read parts I and II separately. I gave part I 5 stars. Part II might have been 4.5 of 4 stars... going from memory!

Cynda LibraryCin wrote: "Oh! And I gave this 5 stars, I believe, when I read it! Good points, though, Cynda, for keeping it at 4. :-)

Actually, I read parts I and II separately. I gave part I 5 stars. Part II might have ..."

LC I am struggling with that. I am thinking 4.5 now. It would be difficult to improve upon the story,

message 17: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I use my iPad for graphic novels in Hoopla. Takes a small bit of adjustments.

message 18: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6305 comments Jen wrote: "Anita - I don't generally like graphic novels but this one is fantastic and if you're going to like any, this might be the type you would like.

Personally, I don't think graphic novels are great o..."

That's really sweet of you, Jen. I think I can just get it from the library . . .I thought there might be more of a tablet e-book where the color and graphics would show up better (as JoLene is referring to), but I guess I'll have to get off my lazy butt and get to the library!

message 19: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5531 comments Cynda wrote: "I have received something an education just by reading this book. I had long wondered what the experience of families who sought to protect their religious and political rights during the time of I..."

Excellent review. This book has been on my radar for years and your review shows why I should probably move it up and put it on my TBR.

Cynda I hope you read it Booknblues. I am glad I did.

message 21: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments If I remember —- this is a black and white comic. The comic part is not super detailed so reading on a tablet would not be bad —- reading on a phone would be bad.

Cynda JoLene wrote: "If I remember —- this is a black and white comic. The comic part is not super detailed so reading on a tablet would not be bad —- reading on a phone would be bad."

I agree

message 23: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5531 comments Cynda wrote: "I hope you read it Booknblues. I am glad I did."

I've been wanting to for a long time.

message 24: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8139 comments JoLene wrote: "If I remember —- this is a black and white comic. The comic part is not super detailed so reading on a tablet would not be bad —- reading on a phone would be bad."

Yes, I'm also remembering this one is black and white.