Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
This topic is about Sins of Empire
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Sins of Empire [June 2018]

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3536 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 20th June.

message 2: by Lundos (new) - added it

Lundos | 392 comments In.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Thanks, Angela!

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm tempted to do a reread of the first trilogy because I can get the audio...If I can make it happen before this I might.

message 6: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments I enjoyed the first trilogy enough that a trip back to the world sounds good!

message 7: by Sedat (new) - added it

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments I'm in :) Reading first trilogy with FBR at the moment.

message 8: by Quinn (new) - added it

Quinn | 460 comments i am in!

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I think I'm going to start this one today. Really excited to get into it.

message 10: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I've just read the first four chapters and really like this so far. Vlora isn't annoying me much, so I'm hopeful that I will like her more here. And Michel is very interesting so far.

message 11: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments 17 chapters in and I'm loving this. The writing is great and I'm enjoying all of the characters and stories. Excited to see how they will all weave together.

message 12: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1814 comments in, but way delayed.

Timelord Iain | 15626 comments 15-20% in: I'm intrigued by Ben Styke... but Michel just sounds like Adamant 2.0 ... someone tasked with solving a mystery against his will...

Dunno yet about Vlora... how long has passed between trilogies?... is it 20yrs, or is that just how long it's been for Styke and the war BEFORE the first trilogy that Tamas was in?...

(view spoiler)

message 14: by C.P. (last edited Jun 21, 2018 05:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I actually really like Michel. I can see similarities to the Adamat story, but he's still a different guy. I think Styke is my least favorite at the moment, though I do like him. And McClellan's writing has improved quite a bit.

And it's been about ten years since the first trilogy. Vlora is around 30 and she and Taniel were 21 in the first trilogy.

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm through chapter 27 now and I am really loving this. Not sure I can say exactly why, it's just super good.

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15626 comments Chapter 35, I think: Tampo: (view spoiler)

Chapter 39: New bet: (view spoiler)

message 17: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Just finished chapter 34. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15626 comments C.P. wrote: "Just finished chapter 34. [spoilers removed]"

Yea... I can't tell if I'm supposed to know these character connections from the first trilogy or now... but I can say I like all the characters in this trilogy more than I did in Promise of Blood... some of the characters in the first trilogy took awhile to grow on me...

I'm nearing the end of this book and can't wait to read the next one...

message 19: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Glad you're liking it! I really liked the first trilogy and miss having Taniel as a main character, but I do think McClellan's writing has improved. I'm little over halfway and already looking forward to the second one as well.

message 20: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Just finished chapter 47. (view spoiler)

message 21: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I've only got about 100 pages left and am really liking this one. Anyone wanting to continue Wrath of Empire next month?

Timelord Iain | 15626 comments Me... maybe some others will have read this by then, as well...

message 23: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Hopefully so. I know several others were wanting to. Do you want to do the 20th again?

Timelord Iain | 15626 comments yea... I'm so overbooked at the beginning of the month, that I'm going to have to start cutting things again...

message 25: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments You must be really overbooked to have to cut some out. I will ask for this one to be set.

message 26: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jun 25, 2018 05:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 15626 comments Yea... I read 5-7 books per week, but have 20+ BRs each month this year since I keep signing up for long series... I dumped some at the end of March, and added new ones... it's a never-ending cycle

I'm probably going to end up dropping or falling behind on Malazan, because they take me 4-5 days to read... and jump on the next train when people try reading it again from book 1 or 2... I think some people read the first one and didn't have time for the second... I've also been participating in the weekly romance BRs to break up my year of SF/Fantasy... so many books...

message 27: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Just finished. I really enjoyed this one a lot. Looking forward to the next one!

message 28: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1814 comments Late to start, about 20% in. I really enjoy McCllelan's pacing and plotting even if his characters are a bit on the thin side. Vlora's a main character now, but I already have a better sense for Michel and Styke than her.

message 29: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I really enjoyed all three of them. I wasn't a big fan of Vlora in the Powder Mage trilogy, but I do think that she was developed more here. Not as much in the beginning. Will be curious to see how the rest plays out for you.

message 30: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1814 comments C.P. wrote: "I really enjoyed all three of them. I wasn't a big fan of Vlora in the Powder Mage trilogy, but I do think that she was developed more here. Not as much in the beginning. Will be curious to see how..."

Finished this a bit ago, but didn't follow up. I ended up liking it just as much as any of the other books in the Powder Mage Universe. Looking forward to diving into Wrath of Empire right after I finish this post :) Only read the prologue of it thus far.

message 31: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Glad you enjoyed it!

message 32: by Loriidae (last edited Oct 25, 2019 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae | 257 comments I have just started this series hopefully in preparation for book #3 in December. Are we supposed to know how Taniel died? I am only 10% in, and was surprised that he was dead. As he was alive at the end of The Autumn Republic

If the answer is a spoiler for the book just say so and I will find out for myself as I continue reading. Thanks :)

message 33: by Rob (last edited Oct 25, 2019 08:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1814 comments (view spoiler)

Loriidae | 257 comments Aah thanks I had forgotten that.