Play Book Tag discussion

The Hearts of Men
This topic is about The Hearts of Men
Archive: Other Books > The Hearts of Men by Nickolas Butler - 4 Stars (Decathalon)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments This book is an example of why I am so glad I belong to a book club. It's not the type of book that I would normally read, but I read it for book club and I think this book will stay with me for a loooong time.

I immediately identified with young Nelson at the beginning of the book, a socially awkward boy who experiences the ultimate in humiliation for a child - no one shows up at his birthday party. Noone, that is, except an older and much more popular boy named Jonathan. The two are very different in personality, and they will never be on the same social level. Despite this, they develop a friendship that seems tenuous and strained at times, but stands the test of time as it lasts through their experiences together as Boy Scouts, through Nelson's years in VietNam and on into adulthood as Nelson takes over the leadership of the Boy Scout camp they attended as young men.

I finished this book at 11:30 on a weekday night (when I really should have been sleeping), and cried at the end. When my emotions are that involved in a book, that's an indication that it was pretty darn good.

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 8511 comments Same author as a Shotgun Lovesongs?

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments Amy wrote: "Same author as a Shotgun Lovesongs?"

Yes!

message 4: by Ladyslott (last edited Mar 18, 2018 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I enjoyed this book very much. Not quite as much as Shotgun Lovesongs, there was one aspect of the story that was unsettling, but overall a very good read.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6423 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I enjoyed this book very much. Not quite as muchas Shotgun Lovesongs, there was one aspect of the story that was unsettling, but overall a very good read."

Thanks for reminding me about this one. I definitely want to get to it . . .

Doughgirl5562 | 727 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I enjoyed this book very much. Not quite as much as Shotgun Lovesongs, there was one aspect of the story that was unsettling, but overall a very good read."

Now I'm curious which aspect of the hook you found unsettling, as there are several possibilities I can think of.

I had never read Nickolas Butler's work before, and if Shotgun Lovesongs is even better then I'm really looking forward to reading it someday.