Play Book Tag discussion

Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
This topic is about Born a Crime
March 2018: Autobiography > Born A Crime

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8519 comments I notice it feels both daunting and redundant to review a book so many others have recently reviewed before, and so many in these past two weeks.

I am coming in right at the height of the rave - I loved it, and I'm glad that this month's tag gave me the opportunity to read it. I was thinking a lot recently about the stories we tell about our childhood, and how we are informed by our circumstances. There are definitely themes in there worth discussing. I loved so much of it, and was moved by both Trevor Noah's journey of identity, being caught always between more than two worlds, and never belonging to any. I loved the part about how we define our race/ethnicity/tribe membership through our language, and I could talk endlessly about how Jesus is perceived by the varying personalities, and I adored the dynamic between him and his mother around provision and divinity. Meaning what God/Jesus wants and what he provides. I thought he was funny and thoughtful, but the book was real. It wasn't meant to be comedy. But humor is part of his resilience - as is a certain kind of sass. I have never heard his comedy, but now I feel like I have felt his soul. It was a great work and I loved it. Sorry my review is so late.

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Was this a five star read for you, Amy? I'm very glad you enjoyed it as much as you did. I agree about his sense of humor - - funny, but not forced.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8519 comments Yes, it was Five full stars. I look forward to the discussion that Jason started so all 20 of us will have read it can talk about it together. I really thought it was great.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Yeah - another fan!