Our Shared Shelf discussion

Mar/Apr '18: Heart Berries > Favorite quotes from Heart Berries <3

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine | 16 comments “My story was maltreated. The words were too wrong and ugly to speak.”

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara "My mother and I found solace, driving hours out of our neighborhood, where being Indian was not much of a crime. If I told you that, I would also need to stop and note the significance of so many other things." p. 25

and

"What little I have told you in the past seemed problematic. You seemed engaged by my dysfunction because you are a writer and not because I had experienced it." p. 34

message 3: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 80 comments "Nothing is too ugly for this world, I think. It's just that people pretend not to see." (p.27)

"If my security depends on a man's words or action, I've lost sight of my power." (p. 63)

"Each child, woman, and man should know a limit of containment. Nobody should be asked to hold more." (p. 95)

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 16 comments “He said his best weapon was his mouth and laughed.”

message 5: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford | 39 comments There are so many beautiful and sometimes heart breaking quotes in this book so here are some:

"I'm stepping into my own undertow. My own valley, is closing in on me, I curl into walls, ashamed of my cowardice." (Pg. 17).

"I look for external validations of worth, and I always end up crazy over it." (Pg. 29).

"My earliest memories, and you, and the baby, have turned earth in my body. I don't know what I am anymore." (Pg. 88).

"I am not too ugly for this world." (Pg. 114).

"I've exceeded every hope I gave to myself." (Pg. 116).

message 6: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 42 comments "My aunt said that being in the desert, away from my land, made me sick." (Pg. 70 - US edition)

"...if my security depends on a man's words or action, I've lost sight of my power." (Pg. 73 - US edition)

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 02, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

"Observation is a skill. Observation isn’t easy, and the right eyes can make me feel like a deer, while the wrong ones make me feel like a monster."

"[Self-esteem] asks people to assess their values and implies people have worth. It seems like identity capitalism."

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

"I was a tiger cornered in a room. My circumstance was a cage. My marriage was a prodding thing, and my baby was still my cub."

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

It's not really a quote but a passage in the book I find so lovely :

"When I was a little girl I had a dog named Buddy. His fur stood up in thunderstorms. His coat was all antennae. He used to fall asleep with his nose against my skin. I never let him sleep alone in storms."

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ashley | 5 comments When I reached Chapter 11, when Terese began to speak to her mother, I lost it. Women truly do have "dormant fluid" in their bodies.

"Some knowledge can only be a song or a symbol. Language fails you and me. Some things are too large."

message 11: by Dyana (new)

Dyana (dyanajo) | 1 comments So many good quotes, it's hard to choose...

"Nothing is too ugly for this world, I think. It’s just that people pretend not to see."

"The strange thing about poverty is that maintaining a level of desperation and lack of integrity keeps the checks rolling in."

"I think it’s dangerous to let go of a transgression when the transgressor is not contrite."

"Every child deserves a type of servitude."

"My therapists didn’t pity me, not the good ones; they made me strip myself of pandering, manipulation, presentation—they wanted the truth more desperately than I did, and then they wanted me to speak it—live it every moment. I feel like writing is that way. Writing can be hard therapy."

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Langner | 1 comments "I learned how to make a honey reduction of the ugly sentences"

"God couldn't watch it; he sent us his boy, but I doubt he watched his son die"

"I think our pain expands the longer we're neglected"

message 13: by Kelli (new)

Kelli "I think self-esteem is a white invention to further separate one person from another. It asks people to assess their values and implies people have worth. It seems like identity capitalism"

I had never thought of self-esteem in this way before, and I assumed self-esteem was both positive and prevalent across all cultures. Interesting to see it in a negative, monocultural light. From Mailhot's perspective, I can see self-esteem as self-serving and individualistic in a manner that is not conducive to communal cultures.

"... women need their power honed early, before it's beaten out of them by the word."

Self-explanatory.

message 14: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1 comments "She has a frailty I don't have. Even if I never ate again, I could not present myself so meekly: bird-boned Laura."

message 15: by Megan (last edited Apr 21, 2018 09:10PM) (new)

Megan Mainiero | 3 comments "I had authority - a thing that people like you haven't witnessed. It comes from a traditional upbringing and regarding my work as something more sacred than generations of effort or study. ... You knew to be excited in proximity to my power." Page 8.

There is so much to unpack in these pages. I wouldn't have realized the stark contrast of these words to the rest of the book if I hadn't re-read them. There is so much power and confidence in these words and yet it is so fleeting and small in comparison to the wide gulf of sorrow and guilt and shame.

And another one:
"I couldn't distinguish the symptoms from my heart. It was polarizing to be told there was a diagnosis for the behaviors I felt justified in having." Page 70.

Thought-provoking, deep, mind-blowing.

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Arthur wrote: "I'd like to recommend some books, but I don't have those properties on my account?
How can I do that?
Is there an application process?
Which moderator is the messenger for those concerns?

Thank you."

Hello Arthur. You can recommend a book here. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...