Golden Age of Hollywood Book Club discussion

Hob Nob > top comedies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 160 (160 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 17, 2018 05:37PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 2484 comments Mod
Random list of your fave titles!

Give out with say, the first dozen that come to mind.

message 2: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 17, 2018 05:40PM) (new)

Mine:

Arsenic and Old Lace
Fire Sale
The In-Laws
The Odd Couple
Where's Poppa?
Harold & Maude
What's Up, Doc?
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
To Be or Not to Be (with Jack Benny)
Blazing Saddles
Airplane!
Some Like it Hot
Monkey Business

I have a list somewhere laying around which rattled off my to 25 or maybe even my top 100...have to dig that up...

message 3: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Harrison Pennock | 91 comments My top comedies, a few of which are outside my ending bookend date:

Going in Style (1979)
The Out of Towners (1970)
The Prisoner of Second Avenue (1975)
The Major and the Minor (1942)
Merrily We Live (1938)
Anything with the Marx brothers. My favorite scene is the crowded cabin in A Night at the Opera.
For TV shows, Get Smart, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Mister Ed, and That Girl.

message 4: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Good stuff there. Maybe I should post my TV tastes as well. Another thread, I think...

message 5: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 251 comments You all hit my favorites as well, here are a few more I can always get a good hardy laugh.

The Great Race
The Mouse That Roared
The Pink Panther/ A Shot in The Dark
The Party
The Russians Are Coming, The Russian Are Coming, last time I -watched it a few summer ago I was laughing as hard as I do when I -watch It's a mad mad mad mad world, had to hit the pause button a -few times to get my breath back.
The Family Jewels
Support Your Locale Sheriff
Young Frankenstein

Tv shows.
Red Skelton
Loony Tunes,
Three Stooges

message 6: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited May 18, 2018 12:32PM) (new)

Whittaker Ward!

I don't know 'Family Jewels'. Thanks.

I have a rec for you though. Try to catch a TV movie starring Charles Grodin and Carol Burnett. 'Fresno' Hilarious spoof of series like 'Dallas' and 'Dynasty'.

I'm lucky enough myself to have come up with an idea similar to one of these for the next script I'll be writing. Its so difficult to devise new comedy ideas. Once you get the idea though, its like skating. Practically writes itself.

message 7: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 251 comments In The Family Jewels, Jerry Lewis plays seven roles, my favorite being gangster Bugsy Peyton. I bust out laughing just looking at the poster.

message 8: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

I think I've said before that I'm not much a fan of Doris Day but occasionally I'll rewatch little bits of her with Rock Hudson in 'Pillow Talk'. None of their other pairings amuses me at all but this one is a hoot. It's the flick where they share the same phone line in their apartment building; and Rock is an arrogant womanizer. A real churl. Constantly goading her and jeering at her. Then, he finds out how hot she is --and since she doesn't know what he looks like, he impersonates a corny Texas oil man to seduce her. Its hilarious!

message 9: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Harrison Pennock | 91 comments My husband won't watch Doris Day movies. I joke that I'm going to buy him the seven-disc Doris Day Anthology. He saw her in a dramatic role where he thought she overdid the emotion and came across as hysterical. Her strength is the light-hearted romantic comedies like Pillow Talk. I grew up watching her TV shows, which were good for wholesome entertainment. Definitely attractive with a pleasing voice, plus an animal lover.

message 10: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited May 22, 2018 08:22PM) (new)

"Lady, if you're around when I get my hands on that guy--well, I just hope that you look the other way. Just turn the other way, that's all I ask..."

message 11: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 251 comments That sounds like a Mike Hammer line.

message 12: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

'No Time for Sergeants' by (I believe) Ira Levin

Anyone seen it? Andy Griffith bootcamp movie?

message 13: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 251 comments Yes, watched it a few years ago, and some parts was laughing my ass off.

message 14: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Double, I still can't get over the character name Mickey Rooney's character had in Mad World. "Dingy Bell" aka "Ding Bell". Outlandish! Who would name a kid that?

message 15: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 251 comments Yep the names are fun to look through, back in HS there was a kid named harry ball. My folks played bridge with his parents and they were fine folks.

message 16: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2018 05:08AM) (new)

Earlier this week I was seeking a good list of classic comedies because I wanted to recommend one to a friend. The lists of 'top comedies' on the web is appalling. Incompetent! They barely mention any classics and usually the lists are slanted towards 'rom-coms' (ONLY rom-coms) as if no other comedies were ever commercial or viable. Worse--when they do mention a classic--there's often the horrible whingeing and hand-wringing like this, "setting aside the racial overtones of this classic..." or "unfortunately, despite the presence of racist mindsets". My god! Makes my blood boil! Like, are you gonna tell me Blake Edwards' "Return of the Pink Panther" is marred by the handling of the 'Kato' sidekick? They go nutso over, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and why? The silly little throwaway bits with Mickey Rooney. Unbelievable!

Anyway I was trying to name a better domestic comedy (not necessarily romantic comedy) for a married pal of mine and at the end of the day I couldn't name a better one than Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon in 'The Odd Couple'. Even though its two males; the issues they argue about are classic domestic-couple squabbling. The pettiness like 'silent treatment' and 'you stay on your side and I'll stay on mine' and 'don't leave your clothes all over the floor!'

message 17: by W (new)

W It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

message 18: by Anthony (new)

Anthony McGill (anthonym) | 77 comments I recently watched the long, long, long, long 197 minute extended version via The Criterion Collection! Quite an indulgence.
Can't say I'm much of a fan and consider this a Stanley Kramer folly and quite a contrast to his earlier social and political comment dramas but still has lots of interesting moments. That massive cast of comedians can never be matched and many have some wonderful moments of pure mayhem. A very loud and at times overbearing comedy but still with a scattershot assortment of great scenes in amongst the tiresome bits.
Because this is one of those 'one of a kind' movies and can never be repeated, it is generally much more appreciated nowadays than it was when first released.
Did win an Oscar for Sound Effects plus 5 other nominations including photography and two for Ernest Gold for song and music score (if you are into film music, well worth collecting as it is terrific; I have the original LP plus two recent CD editions - complete score on Kritzerland label and a special 2-CD edition released by La La Land Records.)
To quote Leonard Maltin: "Big, splashy, generally funny, but bigness doesn't equal greatness."
But still a fun way to spend a dog day afternoon!

message 19: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Oct 27, 2019 05:15PM) (new)

Strange verdict by Maltin. It is 'one of a kind' under any circumstances, looked at from any angle, appraised by any timeperiod. I agree that 'big' doesn't necessarily equal great --look at 'Cleopatra', or 'Quo Vadis'. Those are clearly flawed. But this is a special case. DW Griffith made 'big' films too; and we still watch them. So I say, let's hear it for a film which is as big --and as sturdy --as this one is. There's very few of them. Just consider one aspect: the location photography. We're viewing a record of what the American landscape looked like at a certain point in time which is now gone, which wasn't recorded as fully in any other way; and which never can be regained in future. A big film yes --one with legions of fans --so, begging Maltin's pardon, what precise style of greatness does he seek? Why not admit that big can occasionally be great? Why not commend it without such qualification? I'm curious whether Leonard Maltin can name any big film, and acclaim it without hesitation.

message 20: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

That's a good tip about the soundtrack. I was reflecting recently how fun it always is to hear a few bars of. I think I will make a purchase. Thank ye!

message 21: by Anthony (new)

Anthony McGill (anthonym) | 77 comments Feliks wrote: "That's a good tip about the soundtrack. I was reflecting recently how fun it always is to hear a few bars of. I think I will make a purchase. Thank ye!"

The Kritzerland CD (if still available) is the score with bonus tracks from the original film version. The La La Land one is the total works: 25 tracks, 73 minutes incl. intermission and exit music. Plus a second CD of 39:08 which is the LP reissue which includes The Shirelles performing a couple of the Gold/Mack David songs.
Probably only available (2000 units back in 2011)) from La La Land Records or Screen Archives Entertainment.

message 22: by Anthony (new)

Anthony McGill (anthonym) | 77 comments Feliks wrote: "Strange verdict by Maltin. It is 'one of a kind' under any circumstances, looked at from any angle, appraised by any timeperiod. I agree that 'big' doesn't necessarily equal great --look at 'Cleopa..."

Agree with all those interesting comments especially re the vanishing landscape. Film takes on a different perspective when you consider things like that.
I vaguely recall when this film was first released the critics really panned it. Kramer was never a darling of film critics. (I'm a big fan though!) Donald Spoto in his book 'Stanley Kramer Film Maker' (published in 1978) is fairly generous but does make a couple of pertinent critical points. One is 'that there are so many characters crowding the frame in increasingly frantic scenes that none of them has much depth.' The second is the 'film's excess: there is simply too much of its muchness. Filming in Technicolor and Ultra Panavision (actually, single lens Cinerama) Kramer could not resist the extra car crash. the additional race, the next breakaway building, the repeated gag. He gave us a comic morality tract about money, but without economy.'

message 23: by W (new)

W Anthony,as you say,that massive cast of comedians can never be matched.I saw it many times,and it always delighted me.It was the first one,which came to mind,thinking of comedies.

message 24: by W (new)

W A few others :
The Seven Year Itch
Cactus Flower
Come September
Roman Holiday

message 25: by W (new)

W Some by Woody Allen :
Bananas
Sleeper
Annie Hall
Love and Death

message 26: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Oct 28, 2019 08:56AM) (new)

His detractors then, seemed to use this film to criticize Kramer rather than honestly assess the flick itself. Unfortunate.

Of course, what I also keep in mind is that in the era this movie was made, it was routine that audiences would experience many dozens of fun, big, entertaining movies every year. Practically any year of the studios' heyday was a cornucopia; they were replete with riches --the high quality standards of which, at the time --went unrecognized. The big studios hadn't been dismantled yet; film-goers didn't know what paucity meant. They didn't know how good they had it because they were used to the best. Therefore, critics could indulge themselves panning an epic comedy like this; when today it can't even be matched. (By the way, how many 'epic' comedies are there? I mean, ever? All other genres have them... )

I digress. Back to the complaint of 'too muchness'. To my way of thinking, a director can usually be excused for going 'over-the-top' but there's scant excuse for 'under-achieving'. Pioneering a visionary new project like this one was, I fully forgive Kramer for a bit of excess. 'Go big' ...or go home, is how I'd always rather have it. The worst thing a director can do is to end a shoot without getting anything he can use, down on film. You can fix any material except missing material, opportunities passed on. Shoot everything you can.

Look at what happened between Kael and Lean re: 'Ryan's Daughter'.

message 27: by W (last edited Oct 31, 2019 03:43PM) (new)

W Monkey Business
Father Goose
Operation Petticoat
Cary Grant,was in all of them,and he was great in comedy roles.

Desire,with Marlene Deitrich and Gary Cooper.
Bluebeard,with Claudette Colbert.

message 28: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

not too many folks remember 'Monkey Business' with Cary Grant Ginger Rogers and Marilyn Monroe, Its laugh out loud funny in places. Howard Hawks directs.

message 29: by W (new)

W The presence of Marilyn Monroe makes it all the more enjoyable.

message 30: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 251 comments I always get a good laugh at The Blues Brothers and 1941.

But for me, It's Mad Mad Mad Mad World is hard to beat.

message 31: by W (new)

W I agree.

message 32: by Anthony (new)

Anthony McGill (anthonym) | 77 comments Charlie Chaplin's 'Modern Times' (1935) - Charlie's scene on the assembly line tightening bolts and running amuck has got to be one of the funniest moments ever in film comedy.

message 33: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 748 comments Feliks wrote: "not too many folks remember 'Monkey Business' with Cary Grant Ginger Rogers and Marilyn Monroe, Its laugh out loud funny in places. Howard Hawks directs."

Love it.

message 34: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Just look at the scene where the always-intense Hugh Marlowe, here lashed to a stake, is 'scalped' by Cary Grant and a group of little boys dancing around him with indian war-whoops. His actual head has been shaved off and he's been given a Mohawk against his will. All for making the mistake of 'playing along' with neighborhood kids. Infuriated, red-in-the-face. Best scene ever.

message 35: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Nov 02, 2019 07:55PM) (new)

'Arsenic and Old Lace' on TCM tonight at 230 am!

Charr-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-ge

message 36: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

I'll add a vote for Ryan O'Neal, Babs Streisand, & esp Madeline Kahn in "What's Up Doc?"

I know plenty of people hate Ryan O'Neal today but he was on point in many roles. Yet another big actor who came out of Dobie Gillis.

message 37: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 251 comments I forgot about that one, that's a LOL movie.

message 38: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

"The vessel with the pestle, no longer holds the pellet with the poison! The chalice with the palace, holds the brew that is true --
the flagon with the dragon holds the pellet with the poison!"

message 39: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 748 comments I made a list of perennial faves in my collection:

His Girl Friday
Meet John Doe
Beat the Devil
All About Eve
My Man Godfrey
The Thin Man series
Bringing Up Baby
The Philadelphia Story
The Trouble With Harry
The Graduate
Roman Holiday
The Sting
The Women
The Apartment
Sabrina
Pal Joey
Shall We Dance
Viva Las Vegas
42nd Street

message 40: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

"Million Dollar Legs" (Warner Bros? with Betty Grable) is supposed to be a laff-riot

Another one from me: "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?" (Tony Randall, Jayne Mansfield). A lurid send-up of its whole era.

and of course, "Pillow Talk" (Randall, Day, Hudson)

The Pink Panther series (from Blake Edwards) also worth recalling

message 41: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

anyone ever seen, "I Was a Male War-Bride" with Cary Grant

message 42: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 748 comments Here's some more favorites:

Speedy
Rich and Strange
Stage Door
The Awful Truth
No Time For Love
The Absent Minded Professor
That Darn Cat
Romance on the High Seas
Harvey
Baby Doll
Night of the Iguana
Lolita
A Hard Day's Night
Dr. Strangelove
Kiss Me, Stupid
Play Time

message 43: by Spencer (last edited Nov 13, 2019 12:13PM) (new)

Spencer Rich | 748 comments Feliks wrote: ""Million Dollar Legs" (Warner Bros? with Betty Grable) is supposed to be a laff-riot

Another one from me: "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?" (Tony Randall, Jayne Mansfield). A lurid send-up of its ..."

Feliks wrote: ""Million Dollar Legs" (Warner Bros? with Betty Grable) is supposed to be a laff-riot

Another one from me: "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?" (Tony Randall, Jayne Mansfield). A lurid send-up of its ..."

That Touch of Mink is pretty good, too.

message 44: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Night of the Iguana?? must be a typo in that post

message 45: by W (new)

W Yes,Pillow Talk was pretty good.Reminds me of Come September,also with Rock Hudson.

message 46: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

I can laugh out loud just thinking of 'Pillow Talk'. Even though it might be the only Hudson/Day romp I enjoy. Still, what a hoot. The way Hudson plays the lounge-lizard and then on top of that, he plays the Texas oilman (with possible mama's boy tendencies). And mamby-pamby nice girl Doris playing the frisky, man-eager socialite. Everything is topsy-turvy and bizarr-oh. Split-screen photography and all.

The one I like least if probably the one featuring hypochondria.

message 47: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 748 comments Feliks wrote: "Night of the Iguana?? must be a typo in that post"

I'm not sure why you think that.

message 49: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 748 comments Feliks wrote: "Earlier this week I was seeking a good list of classic comedies because I wanted to recommend one to a friend. The lists of 'top comedies' on the web is appalling. Incompetent! They barely mention ..."
I am pretty find of lists on rateyourmusic.com. The all-time lists are all over the place but if you look at the decade lists, they are mostly right on, then start taking a dive in the 70's But anyway, here is the all-time comedy list.

https://rateyourmusic.com/films/chart...

Better than IMDb or Ranker, anyway.

message 50: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Nov 13, 2019 06:45PM) (new)

Oh aye? I'll trade you one back. Allmusic.com is pretty well established; music-wise and they're ambitious to capture more media too
yes agree with you, IMDb is the most slovenly of all. Sad.

« previous 1 3 4