Play Book Tag discussion

Before We Were Yours
This topic is about Before We Were Yours
Archive: Other Books > Before We Were Yours - Lisa Wingate 4.5/5

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1478 comments Oh my gosh, I loved this book and could not put it down. Would have gotten 5-stars but there was an absolutely unnecessary romance added (probably to appeal to Wingate's readers) which cheapened the story to me. So annoying.

Historical fiction told about Georgia Tann who kidnapped poor children and sold them to rich people from the 1920's to the 1950's. I knew nothing of this, and it was insanely fascinating though obviously horribly tragic.

There are two timelines going on and both stories were interesting, one being sort of a mystery unravelling the other. I thought it was really well told.

Despite the unnecessary romance, my first 2018 favorite.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks for the recommendation. I would never have added it of my own volition. Aren’t book clubs great?

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments So, in other words, I will love that romance storyline.

Nicole D. | 1478 comments LOL, I don't know Nicole, I don't think will think it adds anything. And Susie, yes. I hadn't heard of it either until I voted on the book brackets in Jen's reading game.

message 5: by Karin (last edited Mar 18, 2018 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 6928 comments I thought the romance was fine and fit for me, and I'm not a romance fan. It ties in with questions and changes going on with he woman investigating the older story. This was a solid 4 star read for me.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Even though I am glad so many readers liked the book overall, I found the dual storyline and romance to be really annoying. Having the story told from the perspective of Rill Foss from 1939 to present day, would have been more interesting to me.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I enjoyed the book but had several faults with it as well. The execution of the story was not the greatest. I don't know about others, but I don't read peoples expression and mannerisms and tone of a simple word and know everything about them. This book did that a bit.

I loved that it lead me to research Georgia Tann and to learn something new and open my eyes to some atrocities.

Nicole D. | 1478 comments I listened to the audio so that might have made a difference.

I do think the duel storyline was important because it highlighted the the class distinctions which was an important part of the message.

Karin | 6928 comments Nicole D. wrote: "
I do think the duel storyline was important because it highlighted the the class distinctions which was an important part of the mess..."

Just what I thought, too.