Play Book Tag discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
Archive: Other Books > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children/Ransom Riggs - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoLene (last edited Mar 17, 2018 04:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments This was a pretty big book a couple of years ago, but it never bubbles up to the top of my list. I did look at it in the book store and will admit that I found some of the photos a bit creepy. We ended up renting the movie first (which almost never happens) and I liked it enough to get the book. Jacob Portman, is a typical kid living in FL. He has always been close with his grandfather, who used to spin fantastic tales of escaping monsters. His grandfather was a polish jew smuggled out of a concentration camp to a small island in Wales. When his grandfather dies, under suspect circumstances, Jacob wants to find out more and convinces his father to go to the small island i Wales to find who has been writing his grandfather letters. What Jacob finds is beyond his imagination and he also finds that he is more like his grandfather than he thought.

The origins of this story are the old photographs that the author found. I really ended up liking that aspect of the story. I thought that the pacing was a bit uneven, and I think I might have like the book a bit more if I had not seen the movie first. I bought the book for the photos, but ended up listening to the audio book because I was in the car a lot. The narrator was excellent.

message 2: by Magdalena (new) - added it

Magdalena | 414 comments I saw the movie for this a few years back and planned on reading the book but never got around to it maybe I will now. I've added it to my tbr.