The Sapphic Squad discussion

Recommendations! > Let’s Talk SF/F: Sapphic Genre Fiction!!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (last edited Mar 19, 2018 10:43AM) (new)

Elle (ellexamines) (ellexamines) | 70 comments Mod
We all know that sapphic genre fiction is really hard to find, and a lot of us who don’t love contemporary or don’t love romance are kind of out in the cold. So what are some of your favorite genre fiction with f/f relationships?

I want to see everyone promo their faves down here in detail, but also, a running list by genre:
[💚] = mod favs

Sci-Fi
✨Into the Drowning Deep – Mira Grant [💚]
✨The Abyss Surrounds Us – Emily Skrutskie [💚💚]
✨The Scorpion Rules – Erin Bow [💚]
✨ Dreadnought – April Daniels
✨That Inevitable Victorian Thing – E.K. Johnston
✨My Real Children – Jo Walton

Fantasy
✨ Down Among the Sticks and Bones – Seanan McGuire [possible death] [💚]
✨ Godsgrave – Jay Kristoff [💚💚]
✨ Girls Made of Snow and Glass – Melissa Bashardoust [💚💚]
✨ Reign of the Fallen – Sarah Glenn Marsh [💚]
✨ Labyrinth Lost – Zoraida Cordova [💚]
✨ Of Fire and Stars – Audrey Coulthurst [💚]
✨ The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet – Becky Chambers [💚💚]
✨ Ash – Malinda Lo
✨ Huntress – Malinda Lo [maybe death] [💚]
✨ Now I Rise – Kiersten White [side chars] [💚]
✨The Beast of Callaire – Saruuh Kelsey
✨ Chameleon Moon – RoAnna Sylver
✨ The Seafarer's Kiss – Julia Ember
✨ Engelsfors trilogy – Sara B. Elfgren and Mats Strandberg
✨ Lambs Can Always Become Lions – Charlotte Ann Hamilton
✨ Otherbound – Corinne Duyvis

Fantasy-Proximate Genres
✨ The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza – Shaun David Hutchinson [💚]
✨ Jane Unlimited – Kristin Cashore [💚]
✨ Spellbook of the Lost and Found – Moira Fowley-Doyle [💚]
✨ Wild Beauty – Anna-Marie McLemore [side chars, feat. bi girl lead] [💚💚]
✨ Unicorn Tracks by Julia Ember

Mystery
✨ Echo After Echo – Amy Rose Capetta [💚]
✨ People Like Us – Dana Mele [not romance] [💚]
✨ Dare Me – Megan Abbott [not romance] [💚]

Historical Fiction
✨ The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo – Taylor Jenkins Reid [💚]
✨ All Out – Various [💚]
✨ Things a Bright Girl Can Do –

message 2: by Elle (last edited Mar 17, 2018 03:48PM) (new)

—MY FAVES AS OF RIGHT NOW—

Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant – it’s about killer mermaids and it’s TERRIFYING and it’s BADASS and it somehow isn’t at all cheesy!! and the characters are SO FREAKING 20/10. the three leads are basically a bi scientist trying to find out what happened to her sister [she’s such an icon she could kick my ass and I’d thank her] a sapphic and autistic camera operator [I would DIE for her!! she means so much to me on a deep level of my soul] and then there’s a half-pacific islander professor of mermaid lore who is SO COOL. she’s almost set up to be that one Kooky Old Professor trope and then she totally subverts it by being the most rational character in the book. it’s the most diverse book I’ve read in my life probably [chronic illness, ownvoices bi rep, so many people of color, autism, SEANAN MCGUIRE ID DIE FOR YOU] and the romance is so PURE [what did we do to deserve Olivia / Tori?] and it’s so environmentalist and I love it.

The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie – hyping this book is so much my legacy that i was once Recognized by the author of this book. anyway it’s a duology about a futuristic world with a huge ocean at the mercy of pirates [and economic issues!! parallels to our own world 400/10] and carrier ships guarded by sea monsters. the worldbuilding is so fucking inventive and interesting but also this book is the best enemies to reluctant allies to lovers book ever. Cas and Swift mean the literal world to me – Cas especially is so INTERESTING and MORALLY GREY. and the whole book is basically a 20/10 romance feat. moral issues feat. so much angst. there’s also bed sharing. by the way.

The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza by Shaun David Hutchinson – this book is SO WEIRD AND COOL. Elena basically performs miracles but is annoyed by it and keeps getting sassed by tampon boxes. in all seriousness, I think this book has some of the most interesting discussion of choice ever, and some of the most interesting characters ever. neither Elena nor Freddie [Freddie especially] are really all that likable, as most of the mixed reviews seem to point out, but somehow that's what I enjoyed about this book - that I managed to get pulled totally into the characters of these two slightly-fucked-up girls.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid – this is historical fiction for both people who like historical fiction and people who don't like historical fiction. Evelyn Hugo is cuban and bisexual and does so many awful things and yet gains your empathy at every turn. she's a bit of an unreliable narrator too!! and also THE MOST IMPORTANT ROMANCE OF ALL TIME. this is the new favorite of so many people I know and basically, read this if you're ready to be heartbroken.

Echo After Echo by Amy Rose Capetta – this book is a murder mystery about Shitty Men Getting Away With It in the theater industry. [is that not an amazing premise????] the romance is between a new actress, Zara. and a technician, Eli, and it fueled the annoying gay theater kid that I am. also, Zara and Eli are basically dripping chemistry. I would die for them. if you want to read about a Puerto Rican lesbian and a fat bi girl falling in passionate love while workin on a show together you want to read this I promise.

message 3: by emma (new)

emma ok I'm seconding The Abyss Surrounds Us (also shoutout to Elise for getting us all to read it last year)!!!

for fantasy favs, I really enjoyed Down Among the Sticks and Bones, Labyrinth Lost, Godsgrave, and Of Fire and Stars!! (these are all f/f, but I wouldn't classify them as romances)

(ALSO,, I know this is historical fiction and they're only side characters but I'm reading Now I Rise and I would die for Nazira and Fatima)

message 4: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 9 comments The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow: set several hundred years in the future, Greta is a captive princess. She and the other children of world leaders are held in a compound in the middle of no where by the (confusingly hilarious and spunky) AI that rules the world. If anyone declares war, their child is killed.

The focus of the novel is the action and characterization, but Greta is bisexual and falls for her best friend (I fell in love with her too).

message 5: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) I have to third The Abyss Surrounds Us, I will forever try to get everyone to read this amazing duology!

The Beast of Callaire by Saruuh Kelsey has a lesbian woc main character who is also a manticore and a human bisexual love interest. I've only read the first book so far (which I believe is perma-free on kindle!) and it's a 4 book series. I hope to continue with it soon! It has Gods and mythology too.

Chameleon Moon by RoAnna Sylver I also loved. It's a hopeful dystopian full of diverse characters that love and support each other. It has an F/F/F polyamorous relationship with main characters.

message 6: by Elle (new)

🌟Sydney🌟 wrote: "The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow: set several hundred years in the future, Greta is a captive princess. She and the other children of world leaders are held in a compound in the middle of no where by..."

SO seconding this one, the ending broke me on so many different levels.

message 7: by Elle (last edited Mar 17, 2018 03:41PM) (new)

Emma wrote: "ok I'm seconding The Abyss Surrounds Us (also shoutout to Elise for getting us all to read it last year)!!!
for fantasy favs..."

NAZIRA AND FATIMA FROM NOW I RISE ARE THE MUSLIM SAPPHIC ICONS YOU NEED IN YOUR LIFE AND THAT BOOK IS THE BEST EXAMPLE OF MLM / WLW SOLIDARITY OF ALL TIME GOD

I can also second Godsgrave!! those books are Really Dark and need TWs for a lot of sexist / cissexist language but they're overall super great, Ash and Mia deserve the world

message 8: by Kaylin (new)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) | 53 comments Mod
Why did no one tell me 'Now I Rise' had a f/f couple and why haven't I read it yet

message 9: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 12 comments Things a Bright Girl Can Do features a relationship between two sapphic protagonists, May and Nell. The story is set during the suffrage movement in England. It features a third protagonist named Evelyn too. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading about May's outgoingness and Nell's spunk and the girls' shared determination to stay true to what they believe in. Plus, their romance was adorable.

Wild Beauty is about Estrella and the rest of the Nomeolvides women who work in the gardens of La Pradera. The women are cursed and anyone they fall in love with disappears. This becomes stressful for Estrella as she and her cousins are all in love with a girl named Bay. There is a glimmer of hope though when a young man (who they believed is the lover of a long-lost ancestor) is returned to the gardens. The writing in this novel was absolutely stunning and the characters were each unique and beautiful!

message 10: by Teleseparatist (new)

Teleseparatist | 2 comments One of my favourites is Jo Walton's My Real Children. It's a science fiction story with two diverging storylines: in one the (bisexual) protagonist gets married to a man, in another - she falls in love with a woman. It's a very sad novel, framed by the protagonist's old age (at a point where her health and mind are failing) but I found it incredibly moving and poignant. Not a light read though!

message 11: by Kaylin (new)

I read a ton of contemporary without shame, so I don't have a lot of genre favorites, but the one that immediately comes to mind is:

Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust

It's a retelling of Snow White with a heavy focus on the relationship between Snow White and her 'evil' stepmother, as well as the stepmother's motivations. No prince, and Snow's romance is sapphic!

message 12: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 12 comments Kaylin wrote: "I read a ton of contemporary without shame, so I don't have a lot of genre favorites, but the one that immediately comes to mind is:

Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust

It's a re..."

Oooh! I have that on my bookshelf right now! I might pick it up next!

message 13: by Kaylin (new)

Kayla wrote: "Kaylin wrote: "I read a ton of contemporary without shame, so I don't have a lot of genre favorites, but the one that immediately comes to mind is:

Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashard..."

It's a super inventive retelling that doesn't go at all like you'd expect! It's primarily character focused (which is what I lean towards, tbh) so some of the plot is a little underdeveloped, but it's still tons of fun and has some really cool themes

message 14: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 12 comments Kaylin wrote: "Kayla wrote: "Kaylin wrote: "I read a ton of contemporary without shame, so I don't have a lot of genre favorites, but the one that immediately comes to mind is:

Girls Made of Snow and Glass by M..."

That sounds really cool. I tend to enjoy more character-driven books anyway.

message 15: by emma (new)

emma Elise wrote: "Emma wrote: "ok I'm seconding The Abyss Surrounds Us (also shoutout to Elise for getting us all to read it last year)!!!
for fantasy favs..."

NAZIRA AND FATIMA FROM NOW I RISE ARE THE MUSLIM SAPPH..."

Kaylin wrote: "Why did no one tell me 'Now I Rise' had a f/f couple and why haven't I read it yet"

THEY'RE SO INCREDIBLE!! I started this series last month on Em and Elise's recommendation and it's fantastic, Radu and Nazira have the most amazing queer solidarity <3

message 16: by emma (new)

emma Kaylin wrote: "Kayla wrote: "Kaylin wrote: "I read a ton of contemporary without shame, so I don't have a lot of genre favorites, but the one that immediately comes to mind is:

Girls Made of Snow and Glass by M..."

I've heard so much about this and keep meaning to get around to it!!

message 17: by Kaylin (new)

Emma wrote: "Elise wrote: "Emma wrote: "ok I'm seconding The Abyss Surrounds Us (also shoutout to Elise for getting us all to read it last year)!!!
for fantasy favs..."

NAZIRA AND FATIMA FROM NOW I RISE ARE TH..."

I need this in my life

message 18: by Aine (new)

Aine (vintagetypewriters) | 4 comments Okay but Into the Drowning Deep is my new favorite thing. Not only is it the f/f romance but Mira Grant based the horror on actual science and it's the greatest thing. Killer mermaids and f/f romance and SCIENCE BASED HORROR it's great and I need a sequel tomorrow, thank you

message 19: by Noelle (new)

Noelle (essea) | 4 comments Elise wrote: "Emma wrote: "ok I'm seconding The Abyss Surrounds Us (also shoutout to Elise for getting us all to read it last year)!!!
for fantasy favs..."

NAZIRA AND FATIMA FROM NOW I RISE ARE THE MUSLIM SAPPH..."

I <3 Nazira + Fatima so fucking much.

message 20: by Cat (new)

Cat (librariancat) | 4 comments Some of my favourite speculative WLW books:

Fantasy:
- Ash and Huntress by Malinda Lo
- Engelsfors trilogy by Sara B. Elfgren and Mats Strandberg
- Seraphina duology by Rachel Hartman
- Otherbound by Corinne Duyvis
- Labyrinth Lost (Brooklyn Brujas #1) by Zoraida Cordova
- The One Hundred Nights of Hero by Isabel Greenberg
- Fire (Graceling Realm #2) by Kristin Cashore (m/f)
- When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore (m/f)
- Two Moons: Stories by Krystal A. Smith

Science Fiction
- The Abyss Surrounds Us duology by Emily Skrutskie
- Adaptation duology by Malinda Lo
- False Hearts (Pacifica #1) by Laura Lam (m/f)

message 21: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 8 comments Mod
Hi all !!! I'm not a big contemporary lover so I try and read genre f/f as much as I can (especially fantasy because I love fantasy). Pretty much all of my faves are already up above by someone but here's some that I didn't see talked about yet I love

fantasy
Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glen Marsh has such a cute romance ghfjg
Unicorn Tracks by Julia Ember is about a girl who works for a wildlife park full of mythical creatures and it's so cool ! featuring: two girls going on a quest to rescue unicorns

graphic novels/webcomics
The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One is soo cute I love korrasami so much these graphic novels after the TV show end are so freakin good

Always Human this is literally the most adorable webcomic ghdjf

message 22: by Elke (new)

Elke (madebyberoyal) | 17 comments Yes, Always Human! My fave scifi f/f babes with disability rep. I wanted to mention that one too :)
I am also IN LOVE with Not Your Sidekick! Heroes! Bi rep! QPOC!

Some I love or enjoy but aren't necessary faves (since those are all mentioned already):
Princess Princess Ever After (read for free: http://strangelykatie.com/princesspri...) (F)
The Seafarer's Kiss (F, retelling)
The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet (SF)
Lambs Can Always Become Lions, though I have no idea how to classify that. Retelling? Historical?

Lulu (the library leopard) (thelibraryleopard) | 10 comments Oh, I love Into the Drowning Deep! I hear there might be a sequel and I'm super excited for it.
For some stuff that I don't think anyone has mentioned:
I read Shallow Graves by Kali Wallace a while ago and I remember enjoying it! The main character is a bi Chinese-Irish zombie girl road-tripping across America with some other supernatural creatures (no romance). Sort of horror, sort of urban fantasy.
I was also pleasantly surprised to find that Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moïra Fowley-Doyle had three sapphic girls in it (1 lesbian, 2 bi) and a f/f romance. It's a weird, witchy magical realism novel set in Ireland.

message 24: by lacy (new)

lacy white (lacymiri) Gah, thank you all for this list! I needed it for sure!

message 25: by Amanda (last edited Mar 19, 2018 07:32AM) (new)

Amanda Van Parys (mandalaaxo) | 3 comments Santa Olivia Two young women want to escape their political encampment and also fall in love.

Kushiel's Dart This is one of my all-time favorite books. Some of the most beautiful prose I've ever read and set in a rich, detailed world. The MC is bi but has strong feelings/relationships with a man and a woman, so this isn't strictly f/f. (This book can get pretty hard-core at times, so CW for that.)

message 26: by lyraand (new)

lyraand | 7 comments The Terracotta Bride Novelette set in a Chinese mythological version of Hell, with an all-POC cast. A woman in an arranged marriage falls for her husband's other wife, who is a cutting-edge AI.

Palimpsest Adult fantasy, ensemble cast of four bi characters, including two women, with an f/f romance. Palimpsest is a fantastical city that you can only travel to by having sex with someone who has traveled there. The book has beautiful writing (and isn't erotica).

The Girl With All the Gifts Okay I am KIND of cheating, it is open to interpretation, BUT I am convinced that the main character is sapphic. (She's a child, though it's not a children's book.) The book is better without too much information, but it's horror and it's about a bunch of children being raised in an institution, and the main character has an adorable crush on her female teacher.

message 27: by Elke (new)

Elke (madebyberoyal) | 17 comments I've got a new one! Inkmistress by Audrey Coulthurst (Fantasy) has a bi lead who's in an established f/f relationship for the start of the book

message 28: by emma (new)

emma Elke (BEroyal) wrote: "I've got a new one! Inkmistress by Audrey Coulthurst (Fantasy) has a bi lead who's in an established f/f relationship for the start of the book"

yesss I'm excited for this one! the main/endgame relationship in this book is m/f though, correct? (not pointing this out to criticize m/f bi books in any way, just wanted to clarify)

message 29: by Elke (new)

Elke (madebyberoyal) | 17 comments Emma wrote: "Elke (BEroyal) wrote: "I've got a new one! Inkmistress by Audrey Coulthurst (Fantasy) has a bi lead who's in an established f/f relationship for the start of the book"

yesss I'm excited for this o..."

Still reading it so I can't say what the end pairing will be yet, but the f/f breaks off indeed. I did really like that there was no fuss about the fact that it was an f/f couple or any of the other queer pairings/people and that I got to read about an established relationship

message 30: by emma (new)

emma Elke (BEroyal) wrote: "Emma wrote: "Elke (BEroyal) wrote: "I've got a new one! Inkmistress by Audrey Coulthurst (Fantasy) has a bi lead who's in an established f/f relationship for the start of the book"

yesss I'm excit..."

ah okie! it's so nice to hear that it's set in a world where queer people are normalized, and I hope you enjoy it! <3 (for future reference, this is mainly a thread for listing our favorite books we've already read)

message 31: by Kaylin (new)

I've read it and the main pairing is M/F, but the F/F is a strong portion of the book! It's set in the same world as Of Fire and Stars, I believe, and the romance is rather normalized!

message 32: by Elke (new)

Elke (madebyberoyal) | 17 comments Emma wrote: "Elke (BEroyal) wrote: "Emma wrote: "Elke (BEroyal) wrote: "I've got a new one! Inkmistress by Audrey Coulthurst (Fantasy) has a bi lead who's in an established f/f relationship for the start of the..."

Ah, right! I got carried away by the idea of having a complete list/inventory, sorry about that! :)

message 33: by Sabrien (new)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Okay, I really really really appreciate that the An I Darken trilogy has MUSLIM LGBTQ REP like that is pretty rare from my experience. I just love that so much about it.
Also reading the Almost Human webcomic currently. The artwork is gorgeous, and it's so casually diverse. POC, disability, LGBTQIA and just it's such a great beautiful webcomic I love it. My friend recommended it to me after my heart was hungover from Heartstopper by Alice Oseman.

Lea (drumsofautumn) (drumsofautumn) | 3 comments Inkmistress is AMAZING and has great bi rep! But yes, the main relationship that develops throughout the book is m/f!

Scarllet ✦ iamlitandwit (iamlitandwit) | 4 comments Making a Tinderbox by Emma Sterner-Radley is a science fiction-steampunk/historical fiction with a princess and BRILLIANT f/f romance. AND with the beloved bed sharing trope ^.^

message 36: by vicky. (new)

vicky. Scarllet • Underrated Lit Warrior wrote: "Making a Tinderbox by Emma Sterner-Radley is a science fiction-steampunk/historical fiction with a princess and BRILLIANT f/f romance. AND with the beloved bed sharing trope ^.^"

I literally heard about this book yesterday! Not very known but sounds fantastic!

Scarllet ✦ iamlitandwit (iamlitandwit) | 4 comments Victoria wrote: "Scarllet • Underrated Lit Warrior wrote: "Making a Tinderbox by Emma Sterner-Radley is a science fiction-steampunk/historical fiction with a princess and BRILLIANT f/f romance. AND with the beloved..."

It is! I loved it so much. It actually was my first read of 2018 and i gave it 5 stars ☆

message 38: by vicky. (new)

vicky. found this giant list of wlw books if anyone is interested !!!

http://artermis.co.vu/post/1353154180...

Brittany (Lady Red) (ladyred19) | 1 comments An Unkindness of Ghosts ( I think I’d class it as science fiction)is awesome for lesbian, as well as ace and non binary representation. It’s also a wonderful story although difficult to read in places.