Lois McMaster Bujold Fans discussion

Sharing Knife Series > Let's get some discussion going!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiri (new)

Kiri (kirious) | 147 comments Mod
The discussions have really dropped off since "The Curse of Chalion". Come on, people! How about some controversial questions: Dar and Cumbia - who is most obnoxious? How did Fawn know to stick the knife in Dag's thigh - did she figure it out or did he reach her somehow? Malice spatter - was it going to kill him eventually?

message 2: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

Vorlady | 285 comments Mod
I thought the part where Fawn stuck the knife into Dag's thigh was very interesting. I don't think she really knew anything. She was afraid it was the wrong thing, but couldn't seem to think of anything else -- and neither could anyone else!

message 3: by Kiri (new)

Kiri (kirious) | 147 comments Mod
Personally, I'm of the opinion that she figured it out herself, as the only course of action she could take that might make a difference.

Cumbia drove me crazy. Frustrating person! But a beautiful example of Bujold's ability to write a complex character like that.

message 4: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

Vorlady | 285 comments Mod
oh yes, I agree, Cumbria was a piece of work!!

message 5: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

vorbore | 284 comments Mod
I missed someone like Cordelia to have a talky with Cumbria. Their encounter would be something to read about. Actually I missed a character, so firmly on the ground as Cordelia is, in the WGW, at least in the first two books I've read. Aunt Nattie has something of it though.
Cumbria is so counterproductive - she drove everyone away from herself with her attitudes, while what she really wanted, was to be acknowledgment - for it seemed to be her equivalent for love. But she tried to shape everyone and everything to her wishes and finely she ended up actually utterly alone - one son driven away (even before Fawn) literally, other son staying around but actually completely absent, and full of resentment towards his brother because all that (negative) attention focused on Dag made Dar feel less important as first, and as second, he envied Dag for being able to go on patrolling and get away from Cumbria's oppression that he had to endure as a maker, for makers normally stay home. Dar just could not stand the way Dag managed to liberate himself - at least from Dar's point of view.

message 6: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

As for Fawn's decision to stick the sharing knife in Dag, I think she just followed her logic based on the bits and pieces she picked up listening to Dag and the others. There was a bit of Malice in Dag, she had a primed sharing knife, a sharing knife cannot do essential damage to none but a Malice, so she gave it a shot - not that she was sure it will do some good, but at least she was sure it will not do much harm if the wound would be minor. I am wondering, if it had to be that sharing knife or would any other do just as well.

message 7: by Jumana (new)

Jumana | 32 comments I don't know if the spatter would have killed him or turned him into a malice... I'm pretty sure it would not have healed on its own.
And definetly Cumbria, she is much more aggressive and not ignorable

message 8: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 69 comments Cumbia reminded me of Joen in Paladin of Souls -- a woman embittered with her confined place in society and who, instead of gracefully working around the confinement (as Cordelia does on Barrayar, to great effect), chose to confront it head on in the least productive way possible. As such, she seemed a tragic figure to me, while Dar was just obnoxiously self-centered and self-righteous. :)

message 9: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

To me, Cumbia is more like Ma Matulich, Harra's mother from "Mountains of Mourning". Everything has to remain the same as it was, according to her opinion, because if she had suffered due to old ways, every other woman has to suffer the same way too. This is *the* most destructive female behavior that is, and it is still present in our society. It is the worst consequence of the oppression of women through history, because bad is done to women by women. However, it influences also male children of such women, because they are made to fit the mould as well, which is a very sick kind of revenge too.

message 10: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 69 comments Hadn't made the connection to Ma Matulich, but yeah, I see that too. Is there a character like that in The Spirit Ring, by any chance?