What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA - Girl runs on school track to lose weight and either can or can't see toes in the shower.

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane | 9 comments The main character is an overweight girl. I must have been a YA book, and I probably read it between 1983 and 1988. I can really only remember two scenes. At one point, the girl gets serious about losing weight and starts running on the school track alone after school. I can't remember whether or not kids tease her for doing this. I can visualize the track in my mind, but still can't decide if it was at a high school or a middle school.
The other scene was in her shower at home when she thought to herself how it had been a long time since she had seen her toes because her stomach was so big.

I thought it would be Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade, but that wasn't it. I thought it might be Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret., but then changed my mind. I was certain it would be The Cat Ate My Gymsuit, but that wasn't it either. Now I'm wondering if it was some Sweet Valley High book or something meant for a similar age group. What could it possibly have been?

message 2: by Paige (last edited Mar 17, 2018 01:16PM) (new)

Paige | 597 comments If it was a Sweet Valley High book, then it would have been: The Perfect Girl

Having read a very detailed summary, I can tell you that the MC definitely runs laps.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments A couple of possibilities:

Fat: A Love Story

Fat Lollipop

The main character in Just as Long as We're Together gains weight at one point, but I don't remember her going running.

message 4: by Juels (last edited Mar 20, 2018 08:52AM) (new)

Juels | 2399 comments It could be a Sweet Valley High book. Possibly Power Play; Robin Wilson runs the track to try and lose weight. In The Perfect Girl, Robin takes her diet and exercise too far.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane | 9 comments Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm still on the hunt. I'm second guessing the Sweet Valley High suggestion. I think maybe the characters were younger than high school. Could it have been The Babysitter's Club? I didn't read many of those, but I'm sure I read a few. I'm going to check out all of the suggestions so far. It's been... how many years since I read a Sweet Valley High book? This should be interesting. :)

(I forgot to mention in my original post that it's also not Blubber by Judy Blume.)

message 6: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 709 comments It doesn't sound like a BSC book to me, but I could be wrong. Could it be any of these?

Heads You Win, Tails I Lose
Taffy Sinclair and the Melanie Make-over
Walking a Thin Line

message 7: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 6 comments Fat Chance came to mind but it was published later than you're thinking of.

message 8: by Netta (new)

Netta | 23 comments The Cat Ate My Gymsuit immediately came to mind but since you nixed that one I think its Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade
its only 2 years off your time frame published in 1990 and I've definitely read what your're describing .

message 9: by Netta (new)

Netta | 23 comments lol just re-read your original post I could have sworn it was either one of those. Sorry about that. Now I feel the urge to read all similar novels again cause this is gonna big me now.

message 10: by Skyler (new)

Skyler Klee (variegatedspoonie) Was this a book about disordered eating or was it a book about weight loss?

Not it for sure but Fat Cat is my favotite plus size book right now. Though I am still a bit irritated with how diet xulture-y her science experiment turns...

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Mar 29, 2018 01:02PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Fat Cat is this the book you were talking about Mads? If not, here's a click for a book that looks like it might fit the description you gave us Jane, and if it is, here is the click for Mads suggestion.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie | 11 comments If it’s not Robin in one of the SVH books, It could be “Hey, Remember Fat Glenda?”.

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33278 comments Mod
Hey, Remember Fat Glenda? by Lila Perl - Katie's suggestion

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalal) | 70 comments This sounds really familiar to me also. My first thought was a Paula Danziger book or one of the Fat Glenda books. I didn't read Babysitters Club at all, so what I'm remembering wouldn't have been that. I don't think it was Sweet Valley High.

message 16: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33278 comments Mod
Author Paula Danziger - mentioned by Lisa

message 17: by Jane (new)

Jane | 9 comments So many suggestions! None of them are jumping out at me, so I'll simply start reading through them one at a time. I'm going to start with Heads You Win, Tails I Lose, because the title and plot sound very vaguely familiar. I'll let you know. :)

And to answer Mads question, I think it was just about losing weight, not an eating disorder. On the other hand, I think Heads You Win, Tails I Lose involves taking drugs to lose weight so I could be wrong about that.

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia | 21 comments Hi, I think I might know which one you're talking about (I distinctly remember the toes thing) but I also don't remember the title. Do you remember a chapter about how the girl's mother has a small sports car and so she only takes the sister out bc she's smaller and can fit in the car better?

message 19: by Julia (new)

Julia | 21 comments Ok, I've looked into it and I'm certain that the one I'm thinking of is Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help to you, though!

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane | 9 comments Update: I wasn't Hey, Remember Fat Glenda? or Heads You Win, Tails I Lose. I read both of these suggestions, but alas.

Although interestingly, I'm sure I've read Heads You Win, Tails I Lose before... a long time ago. I was convinced it was the right book the entire time I was reading it, until I got to the end and those remembered scenes weren't in it.

I might try Me and Fat Glenda next (the first book in the series), although I don't think it's told from Glenda's point of view, so it's probably not the book I'm looking for.

message 21: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16126 comments Might want to look through this list for Plus-Size YA Heroines.

Although if she was younger than high school, it may not be listed.

message 23: by Elizabeth (last edited May 07, 2018 06:23PM) (new)

Elizabeth Urello (accismus) | 6 comments I'm pretty sure the toes in the shower bit happens in Blubberina: Bad News Ballet #5: https://www.amazon.com/Blubberina-New...

This is a series about a group of preteen girls who all take ballet at the same studio, and in this book, Gwen is the only one not to get her toe shoes because she's too heavy, which spurs her to get serious about losing some weight. I specifically remember because when I read the toes in the shower scene, it made me self-conscious about not being able to see my own toes. :P

message 24: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16126 comments Still looking, Jane?

message 25: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4984 comments Blubberina for the link.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Jane left the group. Moving to Abandoned.

message 27: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16126 comments Aww, rats. :(