Reading 1001 discussion

1001 book reviews > The Confusions of Young Törless by Robert Musil

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dree (new)

Dree | 243 comments 2 stars

I did not enjoy nor relate to this book. Boys are mean, basically. I imagine men--at least those men that might be able to relate to a c1900 Austro-Hungarian boys' boarding school or a similar situation--might be able to relate to this much better and might find it much more moving.

Per the intro, Musil said that nothing in here didn't happen, essentially. But we all know kids can be cruel. Girls exclude, boys torment. And the boys in here do torment. Largely upper class kids sent to a boarding school with way too much unsupervised time to themselves.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane | 2022 comments Rating: 3 Stars

Bullies in boarding schools. I read another 1001 book along these lines last year by a German author but can't remember the name. The book was well-written in terms of language, but the conversations of the boys weren't very believable to me. Thirteen years old boys really aren't all that philosophical.

Overall, not a pleasant subject matter, but I did like the writer's style. That's a good thing since Musil's other list book has a whopping 1774 pages!