Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Just for Fun > March Madness 2018, SF&F Style, Round 3

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The Sweet Sixteen round of our March Madness Tournament of Characters is now open for you to vote on your favorite SF&F characters! The victors are eager to begin, and the fallen live only on the overhead dome.

Vote for your favorite literary characters:
Favorite SF&F Characters from Literature, 2nd round

Vote for favorite movie & television characters:
Favorite SF&F Characters from Movies & TV, 2nd round

So, get voting, and I'll collect the results Friday (March 23). May the odds be ever in your favor.

The brackets so far:
Tourney of SF&F Literary Characters
Tourney of SF&F Media & TV Characters

message 2: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 412 comments Aaaarrrggghhh!!! G33z3r! Tyrion against Wolverine? That caused me physical pain to choose one. Curse you! *raised fist

message 3: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 412 comments Wait a second. Tyrion wasn't included in literary? Why not?

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Edward | 39 comments Wow. This one was tough. I think we’re now getting down to characters most of us know, instead of people voting for whichever one they’ve heard of. (That’s my guess on how Raistlin fell so early- deep support but in a narrow band of 30-somethings who grew up with Dragonlance).

2 Joss Whedon characters against each other. Spock vs Picard and Darth vs Danerys were funny matchups. I feel like Gandalf is riding that first seed farther than he might if he’d been matched against other characters. Tyrion vs Hermione was a tough one. Both are the brains, a step outside the spotlight. Hermione’s got a stronger moral compass but Tyrion has keener instincts.

message 5: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Do everyone who voted have read/watched the books/movies with these characters?

message 6: by NekroRider (new)

NekroRider | 321 comments Silvana wrote: "Do everyone who voted have read/watched the books/movies with these characters?"

Personally I've only been voting for those I've watched or read and skip those I'm not familiar with.

message 7: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Yeah I also skipped the ones I haven't read.

Anyway, it saddens me that Jean Tannen did not make it to the next round.

message 8: by Andrea (last edited Mar 18, 2018 07:27AM) (new)

Andrea | 2509 comments I've read/watched most of the combos, but in the rare case when I didn't know either one, voted for the one that I'd be more likely to read. It was pretty much only the first round that had that problem though. In fact now there are only 2 characters I haven't read and only 1 I haven't watched. Definitely harder to make the choices now

It's kind of the problem with the GR best book of the year awards. You can only really vote for a book you've read, and unless you're someone that jumps on every new book that comes out, I'm guessing most people haven't read a lot of the other nominations, so they vote for the one they know, but it may not be the "best" because they haven't read the others to compare :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

OK, the 3rd round is in the books, the losers have had their series cancelled, the winners live to battle another day.

Check the brackets below for the full results.

The literary bracket produced some real one-sided matches this round, including the first shutout (of John Carter who couldn't get off the ground against Gandalf) and a pretty decisive wins by His Majesty, King Arthur and that Potter kid. Bilbo declawed Aslan, Paul Atriedes nipped the Wizard, Aragorn sneaked passed Arya, and Granny Weatherwax left the Mark Watney behind.

Tourney of SF&F Literary Characters

In the TV & Movies bracket, Data dealt with the Terminator rather handily, Picard is no match for Spock's logic, victory Yoda won, Buffy staked her claim to the Joshverse, and Wolverine was too sharp for Tyrion.

Tourney of SF&F Media & TV Characters

The Elite Eight round begins tomorrow.

message 10: by Roger (new)

Roger G33z3r wrote: "OK, the 3rd round is in the books, the losers have had their series cancelled, the winners live to battle another day.

The literary bracket produced..."

I'm bummed about Mark Watney, he's one of my all time favorite characters.

And to forever determine who is better (as we are the end all be all for these things) Yoda v. Darth Vader next round.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 522 comments I’m pretty bummed about Picard tho - I think he’s the superior character hands down.

message 12: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 452 comments Roger wrote: "G33z3r wrote: "OK, the 3rd round is in the books, the losers have had their series cancelled, the winners live to battle another day.

The literary b..."

I, too, am bummed about Watney.

message 13: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 249 comments Noooo Arya defeated in both :( also Data beating the Terminator? That I'd like to see!
Happy for Granny!