75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-2021 Chat > Spring Breakathon! (March 23-April 1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 24, 2018 08:28AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7525 comments Mod
As we were looking for a weekend to do a Readathon, Carol had the great idea to do a week long Spring Break Readathon! And most voters in the poll said it didn't matter when and the second highest was Easter weekend.

So this Readathon will run from Friday, March 23 - Sunday, April 1! A whole week and 2 weekends on both ends! Should be fun!

There will also be a few Book Buddy reads going on; A Prayer for Owen Meany, Ready Player One, and My Lady Jane!

What are your goals for this fabulous (hopefully nice weather) 10-day Readathon??

message 2: by Annie (new)

Annie | 387 comments I love the idea of a 10-day Readathon! Will think about and post my goals in a day or two.

message 3: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4073 comments Mod
Sounds great!! I'm going to look over my books and pick out some this tomorrow. My goal for the 10 days will be to finish 4-5 books.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2666 comments I am going to say 6 books. Maybe the day before we start I'll finesse my goal and possibly list my books. Can't wait!

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori | 409 comments I am really looking forward to this read a thon, I think that like Carol I am aiming for 6 books. I will post the titles the day before we start.

message 6: by Karol (last edited Apr 01, 2018 03:59AM) (new)

Karol I will plan to join in for this - I've not had much reading time so far this year so I need some motivation to carve out more time to read. I'm hoping to finish a couple of series (Charlotte LaRue cozy mystery series, and the Half-Stitched Quilting series - one more book to read in each). Then we'll see after that!

Updates:
March 25: finished the George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield series - cozy mysteries set on ocean liners in the pre-WWI era. Murder on the Celtic is the last one written in the series so far . . . I'm not sure there will be another as this one was published over 10 years ago now.

March 26: read Who Is Jesus?, which seemed like a good, seasonal pick for Holy Week.

March 31: Finished the Half-stitched Quilting series, just as I hoped. The Healing Quilt was similar to the first three in the series . . . rather light reading but enjoyable. Now, it's time to start the last book in the Charlotte LaRue series. I won't finish it today, but a good start will be a nice way to end this read-a-thon.

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 230 comments I have no idea what I want to read yet but I'm in.

message 8: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1749 comments I'm working and Spring Break is always crazy, but I'm in. I've got a 30hr audiobook that's been sitting in my Audible library for... a while... that I'd like to get through.

message 9: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes | 92 comments I'm looking forward to the upcoming readathon. I am aiming for 4 books and 5 at the most. I have so many books lined up. I would just probably choose them randomly for now..

message 10: by Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs (last edited Apr 02, 2018 04:19PM) (new)

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 183 comments I'm going for 8-10, concentration on NetGalley ARCs, and in keeping with the Norwegian Easter Crime theme, Scandicrime. Maybe I'll reread The Ritual again. I'll collate and post a list.

Here's my suggestions to myself. What isn't read will be during April Spring Into Horror:

MACBETH, Jo Nesbo
6 by Camilla Lackberg
3 by Arnuldur Indridason
2 by Lars Kepler
2 by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen
3 by Antti Tuomainen The Mine. --read and reviewed March 24)
9 by Leehta Leotainen. Snow Woman, read March 25-26
Murder in the Locked Library--read and reviewed March 23
The Advice Column Murders--read March 23-24, and reviewed
Charity Ends At Home
The Disappearance of Adele Bede
The Hotel That Wasn't There-read March 26
Chili con Corpses--read March 29-30
Stiffs and Swine--read and reviewed March 30-31;
ASYLUM III - Crowtree Manor, ARC review, which releases April 3-March 27_31.

So, 10 read so far. Just read and reviewed The Atrocities, April 17 release; my head is still spinning. Read the glorious Widow's Point and reviewed
In Cold Chocolate: A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery-read March 31-April 1-and reviewed.
Total Breakathon: 11. All reviewed, except "Hotel."

Tomorrow I start on the I Can Read A Series April Challenge, reading J. D. Horn's Witching Savannah 4-book series.

message 11: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1692 comments My schedule is pretty packed and I've got a bunch of books ok working my way through. I'd like to get through as many of those as I can, though I doubt I'll have much time. And also start My Lady Jane.

message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Apr 01, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

Library books I need to finish:
The Freedom Broker Finished 3/25
Olive Kitteridge Finished 3/22

Library books I need to read:
A Prayer for Owen Meany (buddy read) CURRENTLY READING
The Fall
Heir of Fire

Books I own to read:
Ready Player One (buddy read) CURRENTLY READING
My Lady Jane (buddy read) CURRENTLY READING

ARCs to read:
Nothing Left to Burn
Let Me Lie

And whatever audiobooks I end up working my way through:
Dust & Decay Finished 3/27
A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo Listened 3/27
Freakling Finished 3/28
If I Run Finished 3/29
The Red Umbrella Finished 3/31
In Our Backyard: Human Trafficking in America and What We Can Do to Stop It

message 13: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1821 comments Mod
Woohoo! This is exciting! I'm going to compile my list!

message 14: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1397 comments Not counting my current read (which I'll probably finish today), I have three books out from the library right now: The Road, My Last Continent, and Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

If I can average 100 pages a day, I'll be able to knock all three out over the course of the readathon. Easter weekend is kind of iffy since we're traveling, so I'd really love to finish by the 29th.

message 15: by Carol (last edited Mar 22, 2018 11:35PM) (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2666 comments OK, here is my Spring Break Read-A-Thon Plan of Action:

I want to finish:

1. Golden Buddha (The Oregon Files, #1) by Clive Cussler Golden Buddha (The Oregon Files, #1) by Cussler, Clive

2. Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2) by Conrad Allen Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2) by Allen, Conrad

3. To Try Men's Souls (Revolutionary War, #1) by Newt Gingrich To Try Men's Souls (Revolutionary War, #1)
4. A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There by Aldo Leopold A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There by Leopold, Aldo

5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

6. The Sun Also Rises (Fiesta) by Ernest Hemingway The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

message 16: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1749 comments Carol wrote: "OK, here is my Spring Break Read-A-Thon Plan of Action:

I want to finish:..."

I'm finishing up Chamber of Secrets too :) I want to do a reread of the entire series this year (and not just my favorites).

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Stacie wrote: "Carol wrote: "OK, here is my Spring Break Read-A-Thon Plan of Action:

I want to finish:..."

I'm finishing up Chamber of Secrets too :) I want to do a reread of the entire series this year (and no..."

I plan on listening to the Jim Dale audiobooks for the first time this year!

message 18: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1749 comments And because my dog thinks he should eat at the same time every day, regardless of whether I work early or not... let the Spring Breakathon commence! ;) I'm finishing up Feathers The Evolution of a Natural Miracle by Thor Hanson , which I'll probably get done by the time I start work (I've got a little over an hour left in it).

message 19: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1749 comments Elyse wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Carol wrote: "OK, here is my Spring Break Read-A-Thon Plan of Action:

I plan on listening to the Jim Dale audiobooks for the first time this year! ..."

<3<3<3<3
I've got all of them and they are wonderful. When I reread HP it's usually a 'relisten' because I adore Dale's narration. When you get around to them, why not set up a Buddy Read (or Listen)?

message 20: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 23, 2018 08:02AM) (new)

Stacie wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Carol wrote: "OK, here is my Spring Break Read-A-Thon Plan of Action:

I plan on listening to the Jim Dale audiobooks for the first time this year! ..."

<3<3<3<3
I've ..."

Will do! I'll probably start on HP's birthday. :) A good summer read/listen-along!

message 21: by Lori (last edited Mar 27, 2018 01:55PM) (new)

Lori | 409 comments I have my read a thon list and it is very ambitious!

1. The Advice Column Murders by Leslie Nagel, netgalley (currently reading) FINISHED

2. Farewell My Cuckoo by Marty Wingate, netgalley FINISHED

3. The Missing by C.L. Taylor, bookshelf

4. Ramses the Damned by Anne Rice and Christopher Rice, bookshelf

5. The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah, bookshelf

6. The Broken Girls by Simone St. James, bookshelf

7. The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn, bookshelf

8. Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser, bookshelf

Add to that the Lady Hardcastle series in audiobooks that I listen to while doing housework, yardwork and driving anywhere.

message 22: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes | 92 comments I will be finishing Relic (Pendergast, #1) by Douglas Preston today, hopefully before noon.
Books that I plan to read for this spring readathon:
1. Serafina and the Splintered Heart (Serafina #3) by Robert Beatty
2. The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2) by David Baldacci
3. Mustard Seed by Laila Ibrahim
4. Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4) by Jacqueline Winspear
5. An Amish Buggy Ride by Sarah Price or From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon audiobooks I will be listening while at work.

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2666 comments Stacie wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Carol wrote: "OK, here is my Spring Break Read-A-Thon Plan of Action:

<3<3<3<3
I've got all of them and they are wonderful. When I reread HP it's usually a 'relisten' because I adore Dale's narration. When you get around to them, why not set up a Buddy Read (or Listen)?
"

I love Jim Dale's narration of the HP books! I have been (impatiently )waiting for my youngest daughter to get int HP and she finally has. Now we can enjoy them together!

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori | 409 comments Lourdes wrote: "I will be finishing Relic (Pendergast, #1) by Douglas Preston today, hopefully before noon.
Books that I plan to read for this spring readathon:
1. Serafina and the Splintered Heart (Serafina #3) by Robert Beatty
2. [bookcove..."

Lourdes,
I loved Relic!

message 25: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Started listening to Dust & Decay. Going to start catching up on reviews while watching some TV. I decided to start my reading later tonight, I need to get a few hours of DVR queue in. lol

message 26: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1397 comments Day 1: I read 56 pages in The Road and then decided to DNF. I'm planning on starting Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda tomorrow. We're potentially getting snowed in, but with a husband and toddler both with a bit of cabin fever, not sure if that will make for a good reading day or not.

message 27: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1749 comments Finished the last hour of Feathers: The Evolution of a Natural Miracle, listened to 2 hours of The Joy of Science and got to page 48 of Stones, Bones, And Ancient Cities.

message 28: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 24, 2018 06:28AM) (new)

Only got about 50 pages read from The Freedom Broker last night. And about 2 hours of Dust & Decay audio.

Today I have to go to the library to pick up A Prayer for Owen Meany and they're having a book sale...uh oh!! lol. Will probably take the dogs for a walk with hubs because it's finally going to be beautiful out! Otherwise, I plan on finishing Freedom Broker and starting Owen Meany. Will also probably get a few more hours in Dust & Decay audio.

message 29: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Charleen wrote: "Day 1: I read 56 pages in The Road and then decided to DNF. I'm planning on starting Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda tomorrow. We're potentially getting snowed in, but..."

We're sick of being snowed in and hopefully done!! lol. Hope your husband and toddler can distract each other for a little bit to give you some reading time! ;)

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori | 409 comments 1 book down, only 7 more to go, haha.

message 31: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

30 books for $15 at the library book sale! Woot! 3 duplicates. lol. And checked out A Prayer for Owen Meany and The Hotel New Hampshire.

message 32: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1692 comments Hey everyone. Not sure I'll get a whole lot done this readathon, but anyway.

Finished The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1) by Holly Black .

message 33: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 26, 2018 06:13AM) (new)

I almost finished The Freedom Broker last night, totaling 164 pages read for the day. I listened to 3 hours of Dust & Decay.

Going for brunch with the parentals, then I have a few hours of work to do, while listening to Dust & Decay. Then I will begin Ready Player One, My Lady Jane, and A Prayer for Owen Meany!

message 34: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes | 92 comments We had a get together party with some friends and family Saturday so I didn't get to start reading Serafina and the Splintered Heart (Serafina #3) by Robert Beatty till night time. I manage to read about 50 pages.

message 35: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4073 comments Mod
It's been a crazy weekend so far! I did finish Boston Noir early this morning. Ive meal prepped for the week and I need to get to the gym, then Im planning on 3-4 hours of reading.

message 36: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1749 comments I was able to get about two and a half hours of my audiobook yesterday, but the rest of the day was spent at the hospital with my mom.

message 37: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Stacie wrote: "I was able to get about two and a half hours of my audiobook yesterday, but the rest of the day was spent at the hospital with my mom."

Is your mom okay??

message 38: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1749 comments Elyse wrote: "Is your mom okay??"

That's still up in the air. She's in the CCU, but she's come back from worse. It's a whole lot of wait and see and listen to the beeping. Also, a fair amount of stress even though none of it is a surprise- she hasn't been in good health for about 2 decades... The family is hanging together and waiting it out as best we can.

message 39: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Stacie wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Is your mom okay??"

That's still up in the air. She's in the CCU, but she's come back from worse. It's a whole lot of wait and see and listen to the beeping. Also, a fair amount of s..."

:( I'll keep her in my thoughts!

message 40: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 26, 2018 06:12AM) (new)

Brunch took longer than anticipated and then I lost my zest for reading for a bit. lol. I read 169 pages yesterday between The Freedom Broker (finished!), Ready Player One, My Lady Jane, and A Prayer for Owen Meany. I listened to 1 hour 39 minutes of Dust & Decay.

message 41: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1397 comments Stacie wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Is your mom okay??"

That's still up in the air. She's in the CCU, but she's come back from worse. It's a whole lot of wait and see and listen to the beeping. Also, a fair amount of s..."

Oh, no! I'm sorry. Expected or not, it still sucks.

message 42: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1397 comments I finished Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, listened to an hour of Armada, and read Countdown to Darkness plus a handful of other random comics. It was a good weekend. (Oh, and for anyone curious, we got maybe 1/2" of snow on Saturday. Not sure why they thought to give us a Winter Storm Warning, but clearly it didn't happen.)

message 43: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Charleen wrote: "I finished Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, listened to an hour of Armada, and read Countdown to Darkness plus a handful of other random comics. It..."

haha that's what happened to us last Wed/Thurs! Winter Storm warning and all but we didn't get anything, not even a snowflake, and the most that came down in NH was like 2 inches. Where the week before some got 2 feet! lol.

message 44: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1692 comments I started the audiobook of My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies, #1) by Cynthia Hand over the weekend (updates are estimated because I'm listening on Scribd, which doesn't tell me percentage for audio so I have to eyeball it).

With my previous on-the-go read, The Cruel Prince , finished I'm spending that time returning to The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Guide, #1) by Mackenzi Lee .

message 45: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1692 comments I didn't get much done in My Lady Jane today, but I've gotten invested in Gentleman's Guide so I'm probably gonna focus on that.

message 46: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Mar 27, 2018 05:47AM) (new)

I just finished Dust & Decay audio and then listened to A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo audio which was WONDERFUL. I only got about 33 pages read yesterday. But listened to almost 5 hours of audio! lol

message 47: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes | 92 comments I just finished Serafina and the Splintered Heart (Serafina #3) by Robert Beatty and will start reading The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2) by David Baldacci shortly.
During breaks and lunch at work I read Mustard Seed by Laila Ibrahim (19% done) and while I'm working I listen to an audiobook From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon (33% done).

message 48: by Juli, Moderator (last edited Apr 02, 2018 07:43AM) (new)

Juli | 1821 comments Mod
Book tally!!!!!

Finished:

Somebody's Daughter by David Bell Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate The Time Machine by H.G. Wells The Stupendously Spectacular Spelling Bee by Deborah Abela Misery by Stephen King

Read some portions:

Uncommon Type Some Stories by Tom Hanks The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori | 409 comments Stacie I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. Expected or not it is still hard to watch your Mom suffer.

I have finished 2 books off my list and an audio book. I lost my zeal yesterday and laid around like a slug, knitting and binge watching TV. I'm back to work tonight until saturday morning so I will do my best to knock out 2 more books.

message 50: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1397 comments In the last couple days, I've finished Star Trek: Khan, read 89 pages in My Last Continent, and listened to another two and a half hours in Armada. I don't know that I'll finish either the novel or the audiobook before I leave town Friday morning, but I should get close. And I have no clue what kind of time I'll have to myself over the weekend.

My mother-in-law is getting ready to sell her house, meaning my husband will be helping her pack 35 years' worth of stuff, while my main job is to be the bad guy and keep her grandson away while they work. Luckily my family lives just a few blocks away so it's not like I'll be looking for ways to keep him occupied. But I've learned that with so many adults around (my brother and his wife live with my parents) it's easy to fall into the "oh someone's got an eye on him" trap, which means I weirdly end up watching him even more closely than when it's just the two of us at home.

Anyway, point being, I'm just planning that my readathon will end on Thursday, and any reading I get to do over the weekend is a bonus.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.