Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > My next f2f book club - looking for commentary

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (last edited Mar 17, 2018 09:12AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments I get to select the book for my next book club and/or put three books up for a vote. I'm seeking fiction . . .can anyone comment on the following titles in terms of whether there will be enough to discuss? Obviously, it would also be nice to know if it is good/you liked it.

Feel free to recommend something. I want a fiction book that is published this year and has an angle to discuss.

The Heart's Invisible Furies

Everything Here Is Beautiful

The Female Persuasion

Tangerine

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4906 comments I haven't read any of them, so I can't help, sorry! :)

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7694 comments I can say that there will be TONS to talk about for The Heart's Invisible Furies. It is a bit longer though, over 500 pages. Just a head's up. Added bonus: I think you will love it.

The Female Persuasion is up for me soon and I have a friend who LOVED it. In fact, she is going to nominate it for our fall book club. But, Nikki D is reading it right now and is annoyed. So, toss up?

Tangerine also on my TBR but no insight to discussion.

I have not heard of Everything is beautiful.

message 4: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1441 comments I haven't read the other three but having just finished The Heart's Invisible Furies I highly recommend it and there is a ton of angles to discuss. It is longer as Nicole R said but it's a pretty quick read.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments My recommendation: the Three Daughters of Eve.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I agree that Invisible Furies would be great for discussion but yes, it is long. I’ve not read the rest. Actually, can you read The Female Persuasion so I can decide whether I want to? ;-)

message 7: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1476 comments yeah. I'm not far enough into Female Persuasion to judge, but the them is feminism and yes, annoyed. LOL

message 8: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1476 comments BTW Before We Were Yours was great, and there'd be stuff to discuss. (2017)

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Nicole D. wrote: "BTW Before We Were Yours was great, and there'd be stuff to discuss. (2017)"

A friend in my book club read it and gave it two stars, so that's out unfortunately, lol.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Nicole D. wrote: "yeah. I'm not far enough into Female Persuasion to judge, but the them is feminism and yes, annoyed. LOL"

Annoyed by bad writing or by the themes? I need details lol.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Susie wrote: "I agree that Invisible Furies would be great for discussion but yes, it is long. I’ve not read the rest. Actually, can you read The Female Persuasion so I can decide whether I want to? ;-)"

Hmmm, long could be an issue with this book club. Dang. I really want to read it so high on my list. But I could put it up for a vote, and maybe people will pick it.

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Amy wrote: "My recommendation: the Three Daughters of Eve."

Will check this out! Thanks, Amy.

message 13: by Cynda (new)

Cynda Hi Anita. What is f2f?

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Hi Cynda! It is my shortcut way of saying "face to face"

message 15: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1476 comments OK, I'm 60% in to Female Persuasion. Definitely still annoyed, but it's better. Lots to discuss.

Feminism, grief, class imbalance, loyalty, parenting, LGBT. The Feminism part is most annoying to me. feels forced. I can't see this turning out to be a 5-star for me, but lots of discussion points. Probably too many but there you go.

message 16: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Thanks Nicole!! I ended up including it in a vote so if it gets chosen at least there will be something to discuss. Though it looks like Hearts will win . . .