What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Modern Fallout Shelter books where the diverse (gay, straight, bi, black, white,, christian, jewish, young, old, male, female, etc. etc.) cast of characters take shelter from a nuclear disaster and have to get along

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige (new)

Paige | 599 comments Are there any good fiction books where the diverse (gay, straight, bi, black, white,, christian, jewish, young, old, male, female, etc. etc.) cast of characters take shelter from a nuclear disaster and have to get along (divide up supplies, divide up leadership responsibilities, divide up chores) and survive in some sort of fallout shelter together? With a multi-perspective narrative? Maybe something like WWZ but with North Korea (or some other nation) dropping the big one? Preferably aimed at adults?

I know this is all very specific, but I've come across a few nuclear blast/nuclear fallout shelter books, and they tend to reflect their age or be very focused on an extremely limited cast.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Paige--dose it HAVE to be a nuclear disaster? There is a 5 part romance series that is set during the explosion of the Super Volcano formerly known as Yellowstone. In addition to the MC's in each book, there is a small town in the mountains of Washington state that bands together with them and their mentor, who has created the ultimate survival bunker. Essential Beginnings is the first book if that will work.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1729 comments Actual fallout shelters are rather different than the common conception of them. You only need them for about 48 hrs, before most radiation has decayed.

message 4: by Andy Phillips (new)

Andy Phillips | 186 comments How about Triumph? Set in a fallout shelter featuring people with all manner of backgrounds, nationalities, religions and so on, including a lot of your (quite specific!) suggestions.

message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige | 599 comments @ Ann
Yup, that is the goal.

@Andy
Thank you for trying, but I'm really looking for something set this century. Part of the interest is how our modern take on gender and racial relations etc. would play into the leadership and democratic process. I'd like a tale of survival with a hopeful tone.

One of the reviewers of Triumph said "Written in the 60's and the discussions about race and women really show their age."

The book's synopsis itself says "the survivors seethe with hatred, fall into depression over their losses, rise to moments of superhuman bravery, and lapse into behavior that reflects their human weaknesses. Philip Wylie mercilessly predicts the inevitable end of a world that continues to function as selfishly and as barbarously as our own." That doesn't sound like they get along.

Thanks again for trying.

message 6: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4984 comments Part of Dawn is what you're looking for.

message 7: by Paige (last edited Mar 24, 2018 05:26PM) (new)

Paige | 599 comments @Rosa

Thanks for trying, but I'm looking for something realistic from this century. Dawn has aliens, and alien spacecraft, and people sleeping for centuries.

Thanks again for trying.

message 8: by Aerulan (last edited Mar 24, 2018 06:18PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1190 comments Ok it doesn't quite hit most of the details you're looking for, so I'm just throwing it out there in case you might want to give it a look while waiting for a better match, The Long Fall of Night it's a m/m romance so the main characters are gay and it's an EMP attack (rather than nuclear bomb) and the 2 MCs along with several others they meet along the way are crossing the country largely on foot after everything east of the Rockies pretty much collapses after an attack by an unknown country.
No bunkers, but plenty of isolation for the group since they try to avoid cities and large roads for much of the book.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Mar 27, 2018 06:52PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
This one doesn't have a fall out shelter in it, but it's one that "makes you wonder" and, with our playing about with the genetics of plants and animals, could actually come about. The Day of the Triffids. The MC and several different groups of people he gets involved with, are running around, trying to survive and keep themselves and others alive. It has the MC interacting with several different groups with very different ways of looking at/handling things. I read it for the first time in an English class--it was on protest lit, which this one isn't really, but the teacher liked it--and I've enjoyed it ever since. It's older (pre-1965 I think) and set in England, so mostly what you get are people from different classes rather than different races in it. But it still raises some interesting questions and ideas, and, since the author treats all of the UK almost as a fallout shelter, you might like it. (If you decide to check and see if it was ever made into a movie--it was. Once (badly) in the U.S. and at least once (well done) in the U.K. for the BBC as a serial. I found the serial and watched it with my then 13 year old daughter--who had NIGHTMARES for weeks afterwards whenever she heard branches scraping against her bedroom window. My husband had to go and cut all of the shrubbery way down in order to get her to be able to sleep at night.

message 10: by Rosa (last edited Mar 26, 2018 06:09PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4984 comments I really like that book, Ann. And yours is quite a story! I think it is a protest book, though, once the protagonist puts two and two together and realizes the likely cause of the blindness and triffids, and the reasons leading up to them. Interesting choice for such a class.

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (manduck) | 112 comments Children of the Dust has a nuclear bomb and some of it is set in a fallout shelter.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Leave the World Behind is along these lines.