J.D. Robb discussion

Archive-BOM Noms/Polls 2021 > April Book of the Month Nominations - Closed

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10396 comments Mod
Nominations are now being accepted for our April 2018 Book of the Month.

Please note: You may nominate any book from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genre or from any one of the many sub genres, with the exception of books by J.D. Robb and Nora Roberts. We explore Robb's In Death series in Buddy Reads & other discussions in this group. And we read & discuss Nora Roberts books with our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies. We encourage you to join the discussions any time.

Nominations open Mar. 17-23
Poll open Mar. 24-29

Monthly Book Nomination Guidelines:

1-Each member may nominate 2 books per month. Please include a link to the book that you nominate.

2-Please - Only nominate books that you intend to read and discuss with this group!

3-Nominated books must be from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genres or one of the many sub genres.

4-Nominated books must be the first book in a series unless the Robb group has read the preceding books previously.

5-If your nomination wins the poll, we would love for you to consider leading the Book of the Month discussion for that month.

6-J.D. Robb and Nora Robert books are not eligible for nomination. We invite you to join us as we explore the In Death series books in our In Death Buddy Reads and enjoy discussing the Nora Roberts titles in our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies.

7-Should an issue arise that results in the winning book being disqualified, the book that received the 2nd most votes will automatically become the replacement Book of the Month.

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13392 comments Mod
The Ex by Alafair Burke
The Ex by Alafair Burke

Description
Twenty years ago she ruined his life. Now she has the chance to save it.

Widower Jack Harris has resisted the dating scene ever since the shooting of his wife Molly by a fifteen-year-old boy three years ago. An early morning run along the Hudson River changes that when he spots a woman in last night’s party dress, barefoot, enjoying a champagne picnic alone, reading his favorite novel. Everything about her reminds him of what he used to have with Molly. Eager to help Jack find love again, his best friend posts a message on a popular website after he mentions the encounter. Days later, that same beautiful stranger responds and invites Jack to meet her in person at the waterfront. That’s when Jack’s world falls apart.

Olivia Randall is one of New York City’s best criminal defense lawyers. When she hears that her former fiancé, Jack Harris, has been arrested for a triple homicide—and that one of the victims was connected to his wife’s murder—there is no doubt in her mind as to his innocence. The only question is who would go to such great lengths to frame him—and why?

For Olivia, representing Jack is a way to make up for past regrets, to absolve herself of guilt from a tragic decision, a secret she has held for twenty years. But as the evidence against him mounts, she is forced to confront her doubts. The man she knew could not have done this. But what if she never really knew him?

message 3: by Wendy (last edited Mar 17, 2018 02:38PM) (new)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments The Flight Attendant The Flight Attendant by Chris Bohjalian by Chris Bohjalian

Cassandra Bowden is no stranger to hungover mornings. She's a binge drinker, her job with the airline making it easy to find adventure, and the occasional blackouts seem to be inevitable. She lives with them, and the accompanying self-loathing. When she awakes in a Dubai hotel room, she tries to piece the previous night back together, already counting the minutes until she has to catch her crew shuttle to the airport. She quietly slides out of bed, careful not to aggravate her already pounding head, and looks at the man she spent the night with. She sees his dark hair. His utter stillness. And blood, a slick, still wet pool on the crisp white sheets. Afraid to call the police--she's a single woman alone in a hotel room far from home--Cassie begins to lie. She lies as she joins the other flight attendants and pilots in the van. She lies on the way to Paris as she works the first class cabin. She lies to the FBI agents in New York who meet her at the gate. Soon it's too late to come clean-or face the truth about what really happened back in Dubai. Could she have killed him? If not, who did?

message 4: by Jenny (last edited Mar 17, 2018 08:53PM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 68 comments Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh
Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh

The police say it was suicide.
Anna says it was murder.
They're both wrong.

One year ago, Caroline Johnson chose to end her life brutally: a shocking suicide planned to match that of her husband just months before. Their daughter, Anna, has struggled to come to terms with their loss ever since.

Now with a young baby of her own, Anna misses her mother more than ever and starts to question her parents’ deaths. But by digging up their past, she’ll put her future in danger. Sometimes it’s safer to let things lie…

The stunning, twisty new psychological thriller from number one bestseller Clare Mackintosh, author of I Let You Go and I See You.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13392 comments Mod
Wow! These were two I also considered nominating:)

message 6: by Christine (new)

message 7: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments The Blackhouse by Peter May The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1) by Peter May

When a brutal murder on the Isle of Lewis bears the hallmarks of a similar slaying in Edinburgh, police detective Fin Macleod is dispatched north to investigate. But since he himself was raised on Lewis, the investigation also represents a journey home and into his past.

message 8: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments The Unquiet Dead by Ausma Zehanat Kahn The Unquiet Dead (Rachel Getty & Esa Khattak, #1) by Ausma Zehanat Khan

A complex and provocative story of loss, redemption, and the cost of justice that will linger with readers long after turning the final page.

Despite their many differences, Detective Rachel Getty trusts her boss, Esa Khattak, implicitly. But she's still uneasy at Khattak's tight-lipped secrecy when he asks her to look into Christopher Drayton's death. Drayton's apparently accidental fall from a cliff doesn't seem to warrant a police investigation, particularly not from Rachel and Khattak's team, which handles minority-sensitive cases. But when she learns that Drayton may have been living under an assumed name, Rachel begins to understand why Khattak is tip-toeing around this case. It soon comes to light that Drayton may have been a war criminal with ties to the Srebrenica massacre of 1995.

If that's true, any number of people might have had reason to help Drayton to his death, and a murder investigation could have far-reaching ripples throughout the community. But as Rachel and Khattak dig deeper into the life and death of Christopher Drayton, every question seems to lead only to more questions, with no easy answers. Had the specters of Srebrenica returned to haunt Drayton at the end, or had he been keeping secrets of an entirely different nature? Or, after all, did a man just fall to his death from the Bluffs?

In her spellbinding debut, Ausma Zehanat Khan has written a complex and provocative story of loss, redemption, and the cost of justice that will linger with readers long after turning the final page.

message 10: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments Jo Ann wrote: "The Blackhouse by Peter MayThe Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1) by Peter May

When a brutal murder on the Isle of Lewis bears the hallmarks of a similar slaying in Edinburgh, police detective Fin Macleod is disp..."

This looks interesting to me! Never heard of this author... glad there are so many waiting out there to be discovered. Worst (reading) fear is that I will run out of things I'd like to read :)

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French
As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox—his partner and closest friend—find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Great choices!

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments I love the recommendations. I don't always get to the book in time to join the discussions but I do read many of the books recommended.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10396 comments Mod
I'm excited about these nominations! All are very promising.

message 15: by Patty (new)

Patty | 488 comments I’ve already requested 3 of the books from the library and they have a wait list. 1 title I had already requested and I’m #188 on 70 copies started at 233. They all sound good!

message 16: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 345 comments Going to be very hard to pick just one!

message 17: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments Susan wrote: "In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French
As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return fro..."

This also intrigues me. I've already requested one of the other books to read, even if it isn't chosen!

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 68 comments Charlene wrote: "Jo Ann wrote: "The Blackhouse by Peter MayThe Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1) by Peter May

When a brutal murder on the Isle of Lewis bears the hallmarks of a similar slaying in Edinburgh, police detective Fin ..."

I love this author!