Reading 1001 discussion

Chrome Yellow
This topic is about Chrome Yellow
1001 book reviews > Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane | 1996 comments Rating: 2.5 stars

A satire about a meeting of young intellectuals in an English country manor house. The main character, an introverted young poet (possibly similar to Huxley, himself), is one of the guests to the manor. Not much goes on here. The characters are one-dimensional and there really isn't much of a story line. There are a couple of interesting parts, like the story of the history of Crome, and a couple of witty dialogues, but the majority of the book struck me as dull. Perhaps I have read too many similar books to this to appreciate it for what it is.

Dree | 243 comments Rating: 2 stars

Wealthy people hang out at someone's country house. They talk art, politics, philosophy, and wish they weren't single. They pine after each other or try to figure out who might be a possibility. The host holds the annual day-long fair and they all assist.

There is definitely humor here, but it is 100-year-old upper class English humor, and doesn't really do it for me.

The best and most interesting part is when Mr Scogan spends a page expounding on what he thinks will be life in the future. His world sounds like an outline for Brave New World--which this book predates by 12 years.

Kristel (kristelh) | 3895 comments Mod
Read 2011. Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley published in 1921 was Huxley's first novel. It is a witty, satirical book about the British literati. It is set in a country home of Henry Wimbush in the town of Crome. The time period is just after World War I. Denis Stone, who sees himself a poet, is hopelessly in love with Henry’s niece. Mr Scogan is the rational person who discourses constantly and prefers the things of man and rejects nature. Priscilla Wimbush is immersed in the occult. Gombauld is the painter who is rejecting cubist art and painting reality instead. He is also painting a portrait of Anne. The author addresses sex in this book. He references that sex was only prudently treated in the 19th century but was enjoyed and fun in the earlier centuries. There is also Mary who would be an early woman libber seeking to express her sexuality without the restraints of society. The author uses many words that required looking up, at least for me and there is the sense that he is mocking language. A quote from the book on reading; “Human contacts have boon so highly valued in the past only because reading was not a common accomplishment and because books were scarce and difficult to reproduce…..”The proper study of mankind is in books.”
I liked the book but it wasn’t as enjoyable as his Brave New World but this is a quick read for those working their way through the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.

Valerie Brown | 531 comments This is Huxley’s first novel. It satirizes the leisure class (in Britain) of that time. The story is told through the eyes of Denis Stone, a young poet, who has come to the country house (Crome) for a summer vacation/house party. Denis is suffering from ennui, and I suffered from ennui when reading this book. There is no plot to speak of and the characters are shallow self-absorbed people. I suppose that is the point. One of the more interesting passages is when one of the guests describes to Denis his idea of an idyllic future, which is obviously Huxley working out in a rudimentary way the ideas behind “Brave New World”. 3*

message 5: by Zeejane (last edited Jun 08, 2021 03:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeejane I listened to the audio version, narrated by Robert Whitefield. This was my second book by Huxley, the first being a Brave New World, which I strongly disliked. I was apprehensive going into this one, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Crome Yellow. I love satire and sarcasm, and this book was positively dripping with these. The dead-pan humor had me laughing out loud several times, (which was quite awkward, since I was outside doing yardwork while listening to it).

The characters were entertaining, the setting was well fleshed out and easy to picture. Light on plot, nevertheless it was an entertaining and satisfactory story.

My only complaint was the pace, which was quite slow. Towards the end I started losing interest and sped up the audio speed, to move things along. This brought my rating down to 4 stars.