What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Time travel when man walks through the door of an abandoned house?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Squash (new)

Squash | 5 comments I'm not sure if this was from a series of short stories or part of a larger novel. I think it was written in 3rd person, past tense. I associate it with a sort of Vonnegut-style of narrative.

I remember a specific scene and then just the gist of the rest. A man is driving down a snowy road in a pickup at night somewhere in America. He has to stop on the side of the road for some reason, so he stops by an old, rotting, abandoned cabin. He decides to go inside to get out of the snow, but when he walks in, it is suddenly late 1800s or early 1900s, and the cabin is now whole and fixed, with a couple living inside it. The main character either kills or otherwise kicks out the husband and marries the wife. Eventually they want to return to his time but can't for some reason. At one point he returns to his time accidentally and finds two cops checking up on his now-abandoned truck. When he tries to return to the past and his wife, he finds that he just walks into an abandoned cabin instead of back into the past and a functional home.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
When did you read it?
Author female or male?

message 3: by Squash (new)

Squash | 5 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "When did you read it?
Author female or male?"

I read it within the last 3 years but I'm pretty sure it's not so recent. I assume the author was male but I don't remember.

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 264 comments Following because this sounds interesting and I want to read it too.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Squash, are you still looking for this or did you find it?