What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
This topic is about Devil on My Back
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Sci-Fi dystopia kid/YA 90's a boy escapes and meets a girl in the middle. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Msorangegreen | 3 comments Hey y'all,

I'm looking for a book I read as a kid in 90's. The book might be older but not very old at that time (80's-90's?). A kind librarian recommended it to me as I was reading Enid Blyton's Secret-series over and over and over and over and over and they didn't have the one available that was next on my list. I was hesitant to take it but I think a part of my punk-scifi-personality was developed when I read this book, and I'm looking for it now when I have become a real punk in my 30s. :D

All I can remember is that there was a boy in the future living in a city or a big community and for some reason I think they were living under a dome system. He escaped, although he had to leave some dear ones (family?) behind, I think he got a peek or got to go outside, was curious and realized how burdening and/or shallow the city was. Then what I remember is that there was a girl and you could actually read the book from the other end and they would meet in the middle. However, I am not sure if this was only my imagination and there was another book about the girl. The girl part was not so interesting to me but I loved the beginning of the book (or the first book) when the guy escaped.

As far as I can remember, the book had a light blue cover with a human head figure and red lines going around. The girl book or end of book might have red cover and blue lines. But this can be local cover (Finnish) and different from what you have seen.

I would be so happy if this book was found, I kinda need to read it again for my personal growth. :)

message 2: by Annamariah (new)

Annamariah | 283 comments Kiva törmätä tässäkin ryhmässä välillä suomalaisiin :D Helpottaa myös etsimistä, kun suomeksi on julkaistu vähemmän kirjallisuutta.

I searched the Helmet database for ya science fiction published in Finnish during the 1980s and 1990s (which is not a large amount), and I think you might be looking for the Arc One duology by Monica Hughes. The Finnish titles are Tietokoneen vangit and Uniensieppaaja.

Tietokoneen vangit (Arkki Ykkönen, #1) by Monica Hughes Uniensieppaaja (Arkki Ykkönen, #2) by Monica Hughes

Msorangegreen | 3 comments Hey, I think this must be it!! Thank you so much! :) I thought mentioning Finnish would help and it did. :)

Moi :D ja kiitos ihan hirmuisesti! :)

message 4: by Annamariah (new)

Annamariah | 283 comments Great :D Eipä kestä :)

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Msorangegreen, which is your book, "Tietokoneen vangit" or "Uniensieppaaja"? If you're not sure but you know it's the right series, we would just shelve the first book in the series.

Msorangegreen | 3 comments It's kinda both, but "Tietokoneen vangit", Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1) is about the boy.