NerdFighters Book Club discussion

Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca | 31 comments Mod
This discussion is to recommend books that you think are awesome and that other NerdFighters will enjoy.

Write the book title, author and then a short synopsis and maybe the genre of the book :)

message 2: by Tom (last edited Jul 24, 2014 09:15AM) (new)

Tom OC | 38 comments The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. One of the funniest books I ever read. I've read it twice, and would have no problem reading it a third time. It is science fiction/humor.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 5 comments Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell :)

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 5 comments It's kind of like an age of coming fiction novel about one girl going through college and the changes without her twin sister always by her side

message 5: by Soham (new)

Soham Mehta | 17 comments I agree with Tom, actually. Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy is the funniest book I've ever read and nerd fighters will definitely enjoy the book.

It's a hilarious, sci-fi novel about a simple guy who is suddenly thrust into the universe as a hitchhiker along with a humanoid alien (no, he isn't from Gallifrey).
The humor is witty, sarcastic and very clever. Douglas Adams is a brilliant author.

message 6: by Soham (new)

Soham Mehta | 17 comments I agree with Tom, actually. Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy is the funniest book I've ever read and nerd fighters will definitely enjoy the book.

It's a hilarious, sci-fi novel about a simple guy who is suddenly thrust into the universe as a hitchhiker along with a humanoid alien (no, he isn't from galifrey)

message 7: by Oreoluwa (new)

Oreoluwa Adara | 3 comments The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is one of the books on my summer list, so I'd be more than happy to read it.

message 8: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Eisiminger | 3 comments The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

message 9: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Eisiminger | 3 comments And HGTTG is also a perfect choice, we could read the entire set.

message 10: by Hallie (new)

Hallie Jones | 1 comments Among Others by Jo Walton is fantastic for anyone who loves fantasy and SF. I highly recommend it and hope that anyone who reads it loves it as much as I do.

message 11: by Ella (new)

Ella Miller | 10 comments The Man Who Was Poe by Avi

Flawed Dogs by Berkeley Breathed

Night Of The Howling Dogs by Graham Salisbury

Shadow by Michael Morpurgo

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

The Search For Wondla by Tony DiTerlizzi

These are some great books to check out!

message 12: by Adarsh (new)

Adarsh | 1 comments While I agree THGTTG is a very funny book, I think Good Omens might just take the title of being the most hilarous book which I have read so far.

message 13: by Melanie (last edited Jul 25, 2014 01:33PM) (new)

Melanie Schneider (madamemelli) A book I can highly recommend is "Special topics in calamity physics" by Marisha Pessl. I got the book when I was 17. And I was to young for it. But I retried reading it when I was 22. And it absolutely got me. It has this mix of deep thoughts and problems of a young growing woman with a highly intelligent father... And the story has a very astonishing twist. I don't want to tell to much - read the description of the book and decide for yourself!

I also recommend it for bookworms because I could identify so much with the main character Blue in wanting to read as much as possible.

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom OC | 38 comments Adarsh wrote: "While I agree THGTTG is a very funny book, I think Good Omens might just take the title of being the most hilarous book which I have read so far."

I will give Good Omens a try after I am done with a few I am reading right now. :)

message 15: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Beals | 2 comments Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie begins with a grisly murder, then goes back in time to address the backgrounds of those involved in the murder. From Kashmir in the late 1960s, to Nazi-occupied France, to modern day Los Angeles, this story fluctuates between a beautiful character study and an action thriller.

message 16: by Navarra (new)

Navarra (tri_nav) | 1 comments Does anyone know whether John has read it and what he thought? It might be interesting. Even by the title, it sounds like the author might really know the vlogbrother material really well, and parodies that we put together are rarely created out of pure malice.

message 17: by Elsa (new)

Elsa (elsams) | 15 comments The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey! It is a sci-fi book about an Earth almost completely wiped out by an alien race's discreet, but deadly attacks. With their attacks, the mysterious alien race are eliminating not only the humans, but the humanity of those left to save it.

Also I just found out a movie is being made for this book, with Chloë Grace Mortez playing Cassie!!

message 18: by Aileen (last edited Aug 20, 2014 11:39PM) (new)

Aileen *The Darkest Minds series by Alexandra Bracken
Though John's already recommended it, I'd like to recommend Anna and the French kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After, which recently got released
Ready Player One by Earnest Cline
Eleanor and Park, Fangirl, Attachments and Landline by Rainbow Rowell (This isn't a series.) )I think I'm missing one that I can't remember)
*Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor
Since You've Been Gone and Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson(Also not a series)
*Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas
*Delirium series and Panic by Lauren Oliver
*Rebel Belle series and *Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins
*The Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
*The Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray
*The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

(If there's a * next to it, it means it's not a contemporary.)

message 19: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan | 1 comments Anything by Neil Gaiman

message 20: by Vinicius (new)

Vinicius | 7 comments Every Day

The thirteen reasons why(I love this book)

The perks of being a wallflower

message 21: by Evie.p (new)

Evie.p | 10 comments This is a book series that I have really enjoyed reading and it's titled Wings, written by Aprilynne Pike

It is the first of four books about a fifteen-year-old girl who discovers she is a faerie sent to live among humans to guard the gateway to Avalon.

message 22: by Danièle (last edited Aug 14, 2014 07:29AM) (new)

Danièle Todorov | 1 comments "All Quiet on the Western Front" is an amazing classic about a young German soldier's experience on the front lines of WW1.

It challenged every preconception I had about the innocence of combatants and the social pressures of war. I'm only halfway through it, and this novel has already rocked my world-view.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (avidbibliophile) If you like Harry Potter (and who doesn't) you should read Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. It is the beginning of a great series. It is a little slow going at first but it is great.

I also have a book about books that most people haven't read, if you are looking for something a bit more off-beat - somebooksyouhaventread.com

message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria | 5 comments This probably is already popular but the Legend Series by Marie Lu is a Y/A dystopian series about two prodigies and I don't wanna give to much away because I think it's nice going into a book not knowing anything about the plot or storyline. However I recommend it to Y/A fans or John Green fans because it's a very fast paced and thrilling read. I would say that if you liked Divergent or novels similar than Legend is a good choice :)

message 25: by Maaike (last edited Aug 19, 2014 01:41PM) (new)

Maaike I just read Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline(Historical fiction, novel).
A story based on a part of American history that I was not yet aware of. This story focuses on a 9-year-old Irish orphan in the late 20's and what happens with her when she is put on a train with dozens of other orphans. Also you encounter the story of an orphan girl living in the 21st century and how both their lives, even though they were born decades apart, are quite similar.

Happy reading!

message 26: by Elsa (new)

Elsa (elsams) | 15 comments I'm 75 pages into We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and so far I love it! Kind of confusing and pretty sad though. It kind of messes with your head, but in a good way :) definitely a book worth reading. DFTBA

message 27: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Stephenson | 8 comments "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time"
Also,I was unaware Warm Bodies was a book. It's quite good actually.

message 28: by Evie.p (new)

Evie.p | 10 comments I'm reading The Orphan Train right now. I've been on and off, I have so many other books I'm reading and school started back up today. So far I think it really great cause it kind of branched off into an amazing adventure.

message 29: by Aileen (new)

Aileen I'm currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and it's really cool. It's a rare fantasy standalone about 2 magicians training and then competing, but they fall in love. It's really mysterious and it's slightly confusing because not everything is in chronological order.

message 30: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Schneider (madamemelli) Aileen wrote: "I'm currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and it's really cool. It's a rare fantasy standalone about 2 magicians training and then competing, but they fall in love. It's really mys..."

Oh, I always looked at that book and wanted to read it so much. Then one of my fellow trainees read it and recommended it to me (she normally doesn't read books like that)... but I still wasn't able to do so.

Maybe I should give it a harder try :)

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky (rsnm) | 1 comments Danièle wrote: ""All Quiet on the Western Front" is an amazing classic about a young German soldier's experience on the front lines of WW1.

It challenged every preconception I had about the innocence of combatan..."

I was vaguely familiar with the title, but never really heard anything specific about it, I checked it out now though & definitely want to pick it up sometime. Thanks for the recommendation!

All the other recs I've seen are great too, lots of things I've already read or are on my tbr pile.

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily (tmi_lover26) | 2 comments The Experiment in Terror series by Karina Halle.
(Seriously amazeballs)
The Darkest Minds series
(Already recommended but whatever)
Percy Jackson series and The Heros of Olympus series
( You need to reassess your life if you haven't read these series)

message 33: by Sarina (new)

Sarina (inquisitiveowl) Melanie wrote: "Aileen wrote: "I'm currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and it's really cool. It's a rare fantasy standalone about 2 magicians training and then competing, but they fall in love. ..."

I love that book so much, but it gets very confusing during the time jump. I truly had to read it three times before I understood all angles of the book, and why things came in when they did.

message 34: by Poppet (new)

Poppet (Poppette) | 6 comments Has anyone read We Were Liars. That books is absolutely amazing. (Oh btw I'm new, hi)

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason Smith We Were Liars is amazing and one of my favorite books! I highly recommend.

message 36: by Poppet (new)

Poppet (Poppette) | 6 comments Also The Night Circus. That's probably in my top five favorite books. Its beautiful.

message 37: by Riddhi (new)

Riddhi (webster-webby) | 1 comments Poppet wrote: "Has anyone read We Were Liars. That books is absolutely amazing. (Oh btw I'm new, hi)"
I loved We Were Liars. It was gripping and the end was totally unexpected, at least for me. (The switching between the two summers is a little confusing though)

message 38: by Meg (new)

Meg Baldwin (megwin) The House Of The Scorpion By Nancy Farmer
I read this book for school so I thought I was going to hate it but it turned into one of my favorite books (: Matteo Alacrán is a clone and he doesn't know that until he runs to the Alacrán mansion, soon he is imprisoned because in the Dystopian Society on the boarder of the U.S. and Mexico, clones are lab rats, but Matt is different, he can think like a normal person, unlike the other clones, the other clones are too dysfunctional, that's why they are treated badly.
It's a really good book, sorry my description is bad (:

message 39: by Poppet (new)

Poppet (Poppette) | 6 comments House of the Scorpion was such a good book, I read to for school as well (in 7th grade). It's well written and has to do with serious issues.

message 40: by Costas (last edited Oct 20, 2014 08:33AM) (new)

Costas (costaszapas) | 1 comments Hi NerdFighthers!
I want to introduce you to the Giveaway of my new book "Frankenstein REC", gothich horror romance novel in Goodreads:
Giveaway FRANKENSTEIN REC link

Horror Cabin Review: "Frankenstein REC” is an ABSOLUTE MUST READ for fans of gothic horror, love stories, or Frankenstein ... that’s some truly scary stuff."

message 41: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Marshall | 3 comments Not entirely sure if this has been recommended before BUT, More Than This by Patrick Ness. A quote from John Green himself about the novel which appears right on the front cover (which, incidentally is the reason I bought the book) says "Just read it." So to that I say we should all just read it!!

message 42: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Marshall | 3 comments To add the book is a YA Sci fi, a lot of action and mystery to it as well. A young boy who dies finds himself woken up in what seems to be a version of the world, but completely abandoned and overgrown. Did he actually die? Has the world ended? Or is it his hell?.......