The Bloomsbury Group & Friends discussion

Interview with Frances Garnett

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Have you all seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIDvp...?

I believe Frances, daughter of Bunny and Angelica, was married to Burgo Partridge, who died tragically young.

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe | 489 comments Mod
I did! It was very interesting Sandra , Fanny is a very interesting personality

message 3: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments I find it unsettling when the interviewer is not identified and there is zero context for the interview. This is typical on YouTube, unfortunately.

This interviewer gets off to an absurd start, asking if her father was like a bunny. Instead of stalking off, as I would have, Frances responds with great patience.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments It was a bit odd, I must say.

A bit of Angelica-bashing there. Reminded me of how much Angelica criticized Vanessa in "Deceived with Kindness."

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B (skauthen) | 585 comments Mod
Thanks for this interview. Yes, some of the questions were... very interesting. I enjoyed her shared memories of Vanessa. Here's a beautiful photo of Angelica with her twin daughters, one of whom is Frances:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/47041...

Whenever I hear the children of artists criticizing their parents, I think of the quote by Scottie Fitzgerald (daughter of F. Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald):

"People who live entirely by the fertility of their imaginations are fascinating, brilliant and often charming, but they should be sat next to at dinner parties, not lived with."

I was most taken aback by the claim that Virginia Woolf was part Indian. Has anyone read of this before? The only information I can find on the internet is this BBC article which is incredibly vague:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-in...

I straight away logged onto my ancestry account and traced all the Pattle family lines back to the early 18th century and cannot find the Marie Monica he is referencing or any other hint of Indian ancestry. Of course this does not mean it is not true - but I am anxious to know the exact connection... I would like to believe it!

message 6: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Well, I think Scottie is correct. I am reminded of movie director Nora Ephron's quote about how children have no interest in their parents being happy:

https://cinema-fanatic.com/2015/08/31...

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Hahaha, most of my life, I couldn't get far enough away from my mother!

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Sarah wrote: "Thanks for this interview. Yes, some of the questions were... very interesting. I enjoyed her shared memories of Vanessa. Here's a beautiful photo of Angelica with her twin daughters, one of whom i..."

Sandra wrote: "It was a bit odd, I must say.

A bit of Angelica-bashing there. Reminded me of how much Angelica criticized Vanessa in "Deceived with Kindness.""

Sarah wrote: "Thanks for this interview. Yes, some of the questions were... very interesting. I enjoyed her shared memories of Vanessa. Here's a beautiful photo of Angelica with her twin daughters, one of whom i..."

I am a huge Fitzgerald fan but haven't ever read that quote. Thanks for posting it!

If you have a Facebook account, there is a Pattle family genealogy group on there. I found the above interview by joining a group about the Bloomsbury Group. Frances is a member.

I think this is it.

https://www.facebook.com/Heart-of-Pat...

message 9: by Sarah (new)

I do not have a facebook (I cannot bring myself to type 'unfortunately') and it looks as if the material isn't viewable without an account. But thank you for the link. I'm glad you enjoyed the quote. I find it disconcertingly applicable within my personal experience...

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments FB is terribly addictive and I spend way too much time on there.

I remember reading in a book that Scottie barely remembered her parents in her early years. They were always out partying and she had a nanny.

One of the best experiences of my life was visiting Scott, Zelda and Scottie's gravesites in Rockville, Md.

But I digress...

message 11: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments In Rockville, MD? I had no idea. (I lived in Montgomery County and later in Baltimore, but I never realized there was a Fitzgerald connection.)

I was aware of the Wallis Simpson( and Duke of Windsor) connection, via Ladew Gardens north of Baltimore.

message 12: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments I have a theory that people addicted to sugar are also vulnerable to Facebook.

I don't really have much of a sweet tooth (I like cheese), and my tolerance for Facebook is nil. (I was a member for about 5 minutes and then I had to kick it away; it made me feel claustrophobic.)

Maybe it's an introvert thing. :)

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Hmm....food for thought...pun intended.

message 14: by Joe (new)

Joe | 489 comments Mod
Silvio111 wrote: "I have a theory that people addicted to sugar are also vulnerable to Facebook.

Nix the sugar theory . I'm diabetic and spend a large bite of my hours FBing

message 15: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Well, there goes that theory.

I did, however, love that movie supposedly about Mark Zuckerberg and the inception of Facebook. (Apparently much of it was fiction).

The very suspenseful score (that gave the movie it's noir-ish flavor) was by Trent Rezner (Nine Inch Nails.) As un-sugary a movie as I could wish.

message 16: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments The movie was THE SOCIAL NETWORK, and they filmed it in Baltimore at Johns Hopkins' campus as a stand-in for Harvard (not bad...) because Harvard refused.